Topklasse Discussion Board  
Home Forum Legal/Privacy Media/Picture Gallery Websites and Links Technical

Go Back   Topklasse Discussion Board > THE EXPERIENCE - DRIVING PLEASURE > MERCEDES W116

MERCEDES W116 The W116 S Class saloon from 1972-1980 (280S, 280SE, 280SEL, 300SD, 350SE, 350SEL, 450SE, 450SEL, 450SEL 6.9)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15th July 2011, 03:50 PM
The Godfather

Default 6.9 Every Day Driver

Some of you would be aware that Gleaming Beauty, my 6.9, has been my daily driver since purchase sixteen years ago - well, except for the last ten months when she's been in 'hospital' (! ), and another six months spell probably about ten years ago when she was attired in her new MB 870 Petrol livery.

I've also had another 6.9, christened Wilhelm by her new owner ChrisP., who now resides in WA, and and this Astral Silver car was also used as a daily driver by my partner for a period of about four to five years.

The question often posed relates to reliability and whether, in fact, these cars are reliable enough to be used as daily drivers. My answer is an emphatic "Yes". Obviously cost of petrol needs to be of consideration especially in peak hour traffic, and I have to admit that under those conditions the 6.9, and probably also the 450, would have to have some question mark noted along their names. Other than that, however, and with some maintenance, these cars will just keep on going. From the threads on the webpage, it will be evident that both of my cars had their heads removed, with GB sporting a bad water leak that mixed with engine oil, whilst Wilhelm's work was carried out as a matter of routine.

This brings me to the "Red Terror" owned by Michel. He has been kind enough to make his car available whilst GB was in hospital and again I can say quite unequivocally that the car has performed faultlessly as an every day driver. In ten months, I changed engine oil and filter on two occasions, fitted Platinum spark plugs, obviously kept an eye on mechanicals and that's been about it. I don't think that anyone could ask for better....and obviously, it never let me down. Regards Styria

N.B. This subject matter has been covered previously as per additional thread.

http://www.topklasse.net.au/forums/s...ead.php?t=1528

Last edited by Styria; 16th July 2011 at 07:53 AM.