Topklasse Discussion Board  
Home Forum Legal/Privacy Media/Picture Gallery Websites and Links Technical

Go Back   Topklasse Discussion Board > THE EXPERIENCE - DRIVING PLEASURE > MERCEDES W107

MERCEDES W107 The R/C107 coupe and roadster from 1971-1989 (280SL, 280SLC, 300SL, 350SL, 350SLC, 380SL, 380SLC, 420SL, 450SL, 450SLC, 450SLC 5.0, 500SL, 500SLC, 560SL)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #31  
Old 11th July 2020, 12:27 AM
c107's Avatar
c107 c107 is offline
Aristocrat
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,133
Default Re: C107's C107

I've now finished the job and the car runs much better.
Back running on 8 again!

https://www.classicjalopy.com/2020/0...-on-my-450slc/

__________________
Bryce
https://www.classicjalopy.com
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 21st July 2020, 09:11 AM
c107's Avatar
c107 c107 is offline
Aristocrat
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,133
Default Re: C107's C107

I took the 450SLC on an extended 250km drive the other night that included some motorway sections, fast back roads and winding roads.

The new injectors have made a big difference on how the car performs.
__________________
Bryce
https://www.classicjalopy.com
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 21st July 2020, 10:10 AM
Nab Nab is offline
Respectable
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Perth Australia
Posts: 20
Default Re: C107's C107

Good stuff. How good are night drives? I went for a 150km night drive on Saturday, the crisp cold air really makes these motors sing!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 21st July 2020, 10:30 AM
Michel's Avatar
Michel Michel is offline
The Prince of Arabia
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 9,271
Default Re: C107's C107

How much did these injectors set you back?
Did you buy them locally?

Come to think of it, my 500SL is running funny.
I might have to get someone to have a serious look at it.
__________________
Michel

1978 W116 690SEL # 3312
1985 R107 500SL AMG
2000 C208 CLK430
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 21st July 2020, 10:55 AM
c107's Avatar
c107 c107 is offline
Aristocrat
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,133
Default Re: C107's C107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel View Post
How much did these injectors set you back?
Did you buy them locally?

Come to think of it, my 500SL is running funny.
I might have to get someone to have a serious look at it.
I got them from AutohausAZ, about USD$20 each, and then a few bux each for the sleves and seals.

While I was at it I changed the plugs too. I had a set on the shelf.

I have another set of injectors on the way for the 560, I am getting from Shane Herbet, who had a better price than the US vendors once you factor in freight, GST etc.
__________________
Bryce
https://www.classicjalopy.com
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 21st July 2020, 10:55 AM
c107's Avatar
c107 c107 is offline
Aristocrat
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,133
Default Re: C107's C107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nab View Post
Good stuff. How good are night drives? I went for a 150km night drive on Saturday, the crisp cold air really makes these motors sing!
and much less traffic!!
__________________
Bryce
https://www.classicjalopy.com
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 21st July 2020, 11:47 AM
Michel's Avatar
Michel Michel is offline
The Prince of Arabia
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 9,271
Default Re: C107's C107

Quote:
Originally Posted by c107 View Post
I got them from AutohausAZ, about USD$20 each, and then a few bux each for the sleves and seals.

While I was at it I changed the plugs too. I had a set on the shelf.

I have another set of injectors on the way for the 560, I am getting from Shane Herbet, who had a better price than the US vendors once you factor in freight, GST etc.
Are the injectors different for the different engines? (450-500-560)?
__________________
Michel

1978 W116 690SEL # 3312
1985 R107 500SL AMG
2000 C208 CLK430
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 21st July 2020, 01:36 PM
sean sherry sean sherry is offline
Aristocrat
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: sydney
Posts: 1,628
Thumbs up Re: C107's C107

And Bryce don't forget the Points Dwell ... set the idle screws Then .. a vacuum check to ensure that you have at least 18 inches .....re ignition timing. Then the Automatic Trans. will thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 21st July 2020, 02:47 PM
260ebenz's Avatar
260ebenz 260ebenz is offline
Noble
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NSW
Posts: 6,601
Default Re: C107's C107

Quote:
Originally Posted by c107 View Post
I got them from AutohausAZ, about USD$20 each, and then a few bux each for the sleves and seals.

While I was at it I changed the plugs too. I had a set on the shelf.

I have another set of injectors on the way for the 560, I am getting from Shane Herbet, who had a better price than the US vendors once you factor in freight, GST etc.

Hello Bryce I was not aware Shane was still selling Mercedes parts do you have his number or email?

Cheers Tim.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 21st July 2020, 05:15 PM
c107's Avatar
c107 c107 is offline
Aristocrat
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,133
Default Re: C107's C107

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sherry View Post
And Bryce don't forget the Points Dwell ... set the idle screws Then .. a vacuum check to ensure that you have at least 18 inches .....re ignition timing. Then the Automatic Trans. will thank you.
Thanks Sean
I have not done the vac test, but when I went up to get my pink slip last week we put the car on the CO meter and adjusted the idle and the mixture screw and it is running really well.

Next thing to focus on is the tranmission shift points.

Even floored, the transmission shifts to the next gear at around 3500-3800 rpm. You can make it shift later with the gearstick though. But it won't kick down if RPM will end up over the values i mentioned.

From looking at the workshop manual, it looks like I have to adjust the control pressure rod, but I find the instructions rather cryptic. Anyone have experience with this?
__________________
Bryce
https://www.classicjalopy.com
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 21st July 2020, 05:16 PM
c107's Avatar
c107 c107 is offline
Aristocrat
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,133
Default Re: C107's C107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel View Post
Are the injectors different for the different engines? (450-500-560)?
Yep, the 560 ones are different to the 450 ones. Much more expensive.
not sure when the change occured, if your 500 needs the same ones as the 560 or a 450.
__________________
Bryce
https://www.classicjalopy.com
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 21st July 2020, 07:18 PM
Helmet Helmet is offline
Aristocrat
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,208
Default Re: C107's C107

Quote:
Originally Posted by c107 View Post
Thanks Sean
I have not done the vac test, but when I went up to get my pink slip last week we put the car on the CO meter and adjusted the idle and the mixture screw and it is running really well.

Next thing to focus on is the tranmission shift points.

Even floored, the transmission shifts to the next gear at around 3500-3800 rpm. You can make it shift later with the gearstick though. But it won't kick down if RPM will end up over the values i mentioned.

From looking at the workshop manual, it looks like I have to adjust the control pressure rod, but I find the instructions rather cryptic. Anyone have experience with this?
Happy to help, I have a little experience with this
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 22nd July 2020, 09:04 AM
sean sherry sean sherry is offline
Aristocrat
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: sydney
Posts: 1,628
Thumbs up Re: C107's C107

Shift Points Bryce... I have always found that it a case of suck it and see. The Factory settings may have been ok when in a new condition. Just raise a couple of turns and road test.. Make sure that you are getting full throttle ie that the pedal is not hitting the floor before you have wide open throttle. This would account for a Kick Down problem. I can't remember if it is a push or a pull rod.
I still have that Transmission Manual for you ??? It is an American specialist repair/ set up publication. Sean
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Original Fuchs v. replica 14" alloy wheels for W116 and R/C107 6.9forever TECHNICAL INFORMATION 0 5th September 2017 04:46 PM
R/C107 not W107 6.9forever MERCEDES W107 3 19th November 2014 10:58 AM


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 09:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright Topklasse 2020