Topklasse Discussion Board  
Home Forum Legal/Privacy Media/Picture Gallery Websites and Links Technical

Go Back   Topklasse Discussion Board > THE VENDOR - TOPKLASSE SHOP > RECOMMENDED SUPPLIERS

RECOMMENDED SUPPLIERS Got a good deal recently? Share your supplier contacts with the community

Old 14th March 2008, 12:15 AM
Connoisseur

Can I chip in re wheel arch moulds. I just want to add my experience with chrome v SS. I have both. SS scratches very easily. The first scratch on mine was caused by my thumbnail. I was dissappointed with them, even though the scratches fit in well with the rest of my car. But the chromed brass ones are great. Tougher, heavier and reflection/colour of them looks real. Worth the extra $.
Old 14th March 2008, 08:13 AM
The Prince of Arabia

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar View Post
Can I chip in re wheel arch moulds. I just want to add my experience with chrome v SS. I have both. SS scratches very easily. The first scratch on mine was caused by my thumbnail. I was dissappointed with them, even though the scratches fit in well with the rest of my car. But the chromed brass ones are great. Tougher, heavier and reflection/colour of them looks real. Worth the extra $.

Thanks Oscar.....
You've just tipped the balance in favour of chromed brass...

1978 W116 690SEL # 3312
1985 R107 500SL AMG
2000 C208 CLK430
Old 14th March 2008, 10:11 AM
Aristocrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel View Post
Thanks Oscar.....
You've just tipped the balance in favour of chromed brass...

but....can you buy them new? I wasn't aware of anywhere that sold the old style ones brand new
Old 14th March 2008, 10:54 AM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
but....can you buy them new? I wasn't aware of anywhere that sold the old style ones brand new
When I spoke to John Green about them last year, he said that the brass ones were available - at a price. I took that to mean that he could get them or knew where to.
Old 14th March 2008, 12:30 PM
Aficionado

I bought SS wheel arch moulds for my 350SE, for $165 from Carshine: http://www.carshine.com.au/shop/cata...roducts_id=132

For the price I can't complain, and they haven't got any scratches (yet). Look great too.

I was gonna buy some proper original ones from MB Spares, but they were totally unhelpful. So I just snatched these ones up. Admittedly though, they were a bit of a bi#ch to fit, at least to fit on my own.

I don't know if it's possible to cut the and polish scratches out or not....it would probably just add more scratches...
Old 14th March 2008, 12:52 PM
Aristocrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew280SEL View Post
I was gonna buy some proper original ones from MB Spares, but they were totally unhelpful.
chrome wheel arch trims are all after market additions, they are not a factory item.

Yes John himself is a very nice and helpful guy, sometimes some of the other staff can be a bit off handed or seem to have "i don't care" attitude
Old 14th March 2008, 01:05 PM
Aficionado

Quote:
chrome wheel arch trims are all after market additions, they are not a factory item.
Oh...really?

I didn't know that. I assumed they were an option at the factory, as my dad's Milan Brown 450SEL has some that I thought were there from the factory (although having just looked at them, they are fit very poorly. Like, jammed on and had the rubber strips smacked over them).

And my 350SE apparently had them before I bought it, but the original owner took them off for another W116 of his.

But anyway, interesting info Des thanks.

EDIT: Sorry for diverting the thread further Styria...
Old 14th March 2008, 04:17 PM
The Godfather

Andrew and everyone else in TOPKLASSE country,

We are going along nicely on this tack, so let's stick with it. I can get a good supply of chrome over brass wheel arch moulds, and the price has just been confirmed at $268.00 each set. That's for starters.

Steering Wheels - on exchange. If anyone wants the latest super/duper burr walnut and leather combination, it will set you back $700.00, with a change over period of about six weeks. The normal price is $800.00, but I have been able to strike up a special deal on behalf of TOPKLASSE members.

So, the ball is in everybody's court. That's all from me for the time being. Regards, Styria
Old 12th April 2008, 06:34 AM
The Godfather

Default Re: Amg Reproduction Spoilers

Regarding the AMG reproduction spoilers - as you know, they have been priced at $375.00 each which, when compared with the cost of an original AMG unit, or those supplied as kits by other organizations, is a very favourable and reasonable price.

As we also all know, nothing stays at fixed prices forever, what with inflation, cost of materials, profit margins etc. etc. - it is not a good scenario. These spoilers, and their cost, are therefore also subject to price variations. In this instance, I am pleased to relate that the variation is DOWNWARD to $345.00 each. So, for the time being, that is the current purchase price. Regards, Styria
Old 18th May 2008, 11:17 AM
Aristocrat

I think this would look good on some cars is to have the AMG logo on the front spoiler highlighted with a sticker or to paint it,

Old 18th May 2008, 12:40 PM
Connoisseur

I noticed you said "some" Des. Obviously I'd have to paint my logo black. It's funny but I thought at first the raised lettering wasn't obvious enough from a distance, especially I suppose on my white car that is blinding when clean and shining on a sunny day. But then, not long after I liked the fact it wasn't too obvious. ie the shape of the front end changes in a good way and the AMG detail is there for anyone curious but it doesn't take your focus off the overall appearance. I'm not totally disagreeing with you, it depends on the colours used but I like the sleeper aspect of the logo.

Apart from that car looking dead sexy, what's the go with the blinkers? I'd love to make/buy a full clear lens setup but what's this half/half bizzo? I've only seen pics of yellowed fog lights within the clear headlight before, not this half amber half clear blinker.

Other than that, I love the dark colour matched rad grill and lower grill halves.
Old 18th May 2008, 01:04 PM
Aficionado

Quote:
I think this would look good on some cars is to have the AMG logo on the front spoiler highlighted with a sticker or to paint it,

I have to admit, that does look very nice
Old 18th May 2008, 01:08 PM
Aristocrat

Not sure on the indicators Oscar, I have seen other cars from Europe like that so they must be around for sale.

I agree they would look much better completely cleared or smoked, with the correct bulbs in them.
Old 18th May 2008, 04:26 PM
The Godfather

Hi Oscar and Des, I had never given consideration to highlight the AMG letters on the spoiler. My way of drawing attention to the spoiler was to experiment with the colouring of the normally black 2 intake grille halves. Thus, I tried black at first, and then Silver and I was satisfied, choosing the later given that my Gleaming Beauty has the darkish Petrol Blue colour.

I don't think, however, that silver would be suitable on Ossie's white 350SE. In my view, his choice of black ties in well with the white.

For some little whole now I have been considering replacing the standard black grille halves with a mesh type of arrangement. Whilst I have the material, time has not been on my side to start, let alone, finish the experiment. Regards Styria
Old 18th May 2008, 04:31 PM
Aristocrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styria View Post
For some little whole now I have been considering replacing the standard black grille halves with a mesh type of arrangement. Whilst I have the material, time has not been on my side to start, let alone, finish the experiment. Regards Styria

Do you mean like this Styria?

I think it would look tacky, but you may convince me otherwise once it was done.