Topklasse Discussion Board  
Home Forum Legal/Privacy Media/Picture Gallery Websites and Links Technical

Go Back   Topklasse Discussion Board > THE VENDOR - TOPKLASSE SHOP > TRADING POST/EBAY LISTINGS

TRADING POST/EBAY LISTINGS Share relevant ebay listings and buy/sell your wares and spares - from computers to carburettors!

Old 1st February 2010, 09:40 PM
Aristocrat

Exclamation FS: W116 - 450SEL Race Car

Price range = $1800-2500 - can go lower than this, but just depends what you want to remain on the car.

Ok... sadly I have to sell the race car. Please read on, but don't be put off by the work done. It needs to go, and all offers are considered....will possibly consider parting out also. And 'MAYBE' even consider throwing in the M100 removed from the 690SE if the price was right. But like I said, ALL offers considered.

For a tank of fuel and a beer I'll consider delivery to Sydney and Melbourne (as I'll be heading to Melbourne in 2 weeks anyway).

Don't ask, just one of those things.

Over the last 3 years I've probably shelled out roughly 10-15K on this thing.
Some of the costs have been on things like performance brake pads, rubber etc.. but main costs that remain in the value of the car are:

$2,000 of suspension / steering re-conditioning - including; new ball-joints, tierod ends, control arms (upper and lower), subframe mounts, bushings, bushings and more bushings, steering damper etc etc.

$2,000 of suspension components - including; custom springs (lower and very firmer-ish) heavy duty bilstein shocks front and rear (rear only used for 1 event to date). B46 and B36 heavy duty.

New timing chain, guides, etc
2 1/4 Inch twin straight back exhaust,
push button start,
custom race seat / rails,
4 Point Willans Racing Harness
sports steering wheel with contoured grip,
cold air intake with twin snorkel 560SEL air filter housing,
K&N air filter
New fuel hoses
New brake lines]
New Brake Master Cylinder
3.46:1 Diff (from 350SLC) Welded/Locked up
New Beru Leads (1-2yrs ago)
New sump container and gasket
New fan-belts
Extreme amounts of weight reduction - all bumpers removed, custom gril added to front.
Paint Job (this was the cheapest of all the work!)
There's probably a bunch of other small things also that I can't remember at this point.. but you'll probably find it throughout posting history somewhere.

Springs / Shocks all round, Euro delivered car (UK).
Euro High Compression M117 engine - starts immediately, purr's like a kitten and doesn't miss a beat. Dyno'd @ 175hp at the Rear Wheels

Has been driven on average 3-4 events a year, only about 15,000km's done since timing chain and guides. Has always had fluids/plugs/filters/tune in between every race. Definitely serviced more than probably any 116 for the amount of km's.

Those who have seen it in the flesh and the few that have driven, will hopefully also agree with the mechanical level maintained on this beast.

Car is about 90% prepped to be a ready to go racer for those interested in the sport, and if not - as a parts car you won't get better value for quality of parts to add to your daily driver.

If requested I can provide lap times for many tracks also.

Anyway, like I said - whether you want a race car or some very good parts, PM me and we can talk.

Cam.

A few threads on upgrade history below:
http://topklasse.net.au/forums/showp...85&postcount=1

http://topklasse.net.au/forums/showp...95&postcount=6

Dyno Run / Printout
http://topklasse.net.au/forums/showp...07&postcount=6

http://topklasse.net.au/forums/showp...22&postcount=1

Paint Job
http://topklasse.net.au/forums/showp...40&postcount=1

1978 W116 - 450 SEL - Finally locked
1979 W116 - 450 SE 6.9 - New Ticker

Last edited by SELfor50; 2nd February 2010 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Added price range
Old 2nd February 2010, 05:15 PM
Connoisseur

Default Re: FS: W116 - 450SEL Race Car

Fark; talk about unexpected

You have done so much to it and as far as I can tell, enjoy racing it. None of my business, but you must have a good reason for selling it.

Anyway, are you going to get another racer down the track?
Old 2nd February 2010, 05:49 PM
The Prince of Arabia

Sorry to see you selling Cam.

If it wasn't for Oran Park closing, I would have been interested.

Good luck, I am sure someone will snap a bargain

1978 W116 690SEL # 3312
1985 R107 500SL AMG
2000 C208 CLK430
Old 2nd February 2010, 06:22 PM
The Godfather

At the asking price, that's an absolute bargain - mind you, you never get much change out of any race components. The 175 horses - that's an absolutely terrific reading and, be it known to all, so close to 6.9 figures it's not funny. Good luck, buddy and hey ! if you're in Sydney, how about letting us know beforehand as we might just have a couple of gold liquids to celebrate your visit. Regards Styria
Old 3rd February 2010, 07:30 AM
Aristocrat

Thanks for the positive input guys. You are correct Styria - absolute bargain. Not just saying that.. John Green from MB Spares can testify to that as well.. he's done a fair bit of work on it.

The interesting thing is, the engine has not been modified at all (that I know of anyway) so to reach those HP figures was very pleasing.

Anyway, as stated at that price - even if you were to strip the parts out of it and use on an everyday car.. the suspension (maybe not the springs - probably too firm for road driving) and all other components, brake lines, master cylinder, control arms, ball joints, bushings (not sure if they're re-usable once being installed on a car), steering components.. pretty much every component relating to the above things was installed new within the last 12months or so.

Have had a bit of interest, few people asking lap times.. maybe they were put off by laptimes provided for tracks that I haven't returned to since having all the work done.. and at the end of the day - with abit of engine work on the M117 or install of an M100 then this car would be a serious competitor against most other cars in category.

More and more though as I'm mulling through the history of this thing and what's on it - i'm starting to think I'll part it out and keep the stuff I can re-use. It'd recoup much more than selling it in 1 sitting anyway.

Cam.

1978 W116 - 450 SEL - Finally locked
1979 W116 - 450 SE 6.9 - New Ticker