Topklasse Discussion Board  
Home Forum Legal/Privacy Media/Picture Gallery Websites and Links Technical

Go Back   Topklasse Discussion Board > THE EXPERIENCE - DRIVING PLEASURE > MERCEDES W116

MERCEDES W116 Discussion specific to the W116 model

Old 9th June 2010, 08:44 AM
Connoisseur

Default Re: Styria's 450se

Those carpets look absolutely great Styria. I an impressed, and the light colour does look much neater, crisper even, than the black.
Old 9th June 2010, 10:34 AM
One Of The Boys

This carpet looks fabulous Godfather.
Don't foget my driver's side mat please (same colour)

1978 W116 690SEL # 3312
1985 R107 500SL AMG
2000 W208 CLK430 Coupe
2003 W163 ML320
Old 9th June 2010, 03:15 PM
The Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel View Post
This carpet looks fabulous Godfather.
Don't foget my driver's side mat please (same colour)
Michel, this carpet is not the same colour as you have in RED 690SEL, nor is it quite the same quality. Also, the pile is different and that needs to be kept in mind. Mind you, it is a great substitute for the Real McCoy (a la Merc Benz), but then it does not cost you about $1800.00 for the W116, and just about two grand for a W107 as quoted by another very well known trimmer - fitting included in both instances and, of course, somewhat better quality - but the difference in cost is substantial and as a bonus you are dealing with the local tradesperson - something that should not be overlooked. Regards Styria
Old 10th June 2010, 10:04 PM
Aficionado

That carpet is very neat.

Regarding the valve body, I do have a spare, but it has been disturbed and is missing one of the 5.5mm balls at the least.

I should imagine that a careful revision of the existing valve body may sort things out. As I'm sure you are aware, there are a couple of springs that can easily get confused as well.

Just out of interest, were there many "chips" in the fluid channels of the unit? I have been considering dropping the unit from my 450's transmission for a while.

Tim
Old 11th June 2010, 06:44 AM
The Godfather

Tim, thanks for your reply. If the 'up and down" layers of your valve body have not been disturbed, I would be most interested in buying it. A missing ball, and the replacement thereof, is not an issue as I have plenty of spares. However, if you could tell me how many balls in the valve body, I'll then know what's required to finish it off.

My problems stem from dismantling of the "cross" sections of the valve bodies, and in the end it became a jumbled nightmare to try and put together properly. I had several of them and the workshop manual does not give you an exploded drawing (view) of the cross sections. It is quite remarkable the extent to which the valve bodies differ - it's almost safe to say that no two are alike. BTW, just not quite sure what you mean by'chips' in the channels. Regards Styria
Old 11th June 2010, 07:43 AM
The Godfather

To put the fitting of new carpets into proper perspective, and the time factor relating thereto, it is necessary to explain the procedure involved. For starters, both front seats need to removed from the car, as well as the rear seat cushion. In addition, both centre pillars trim, all four 'entrance' steps, the two covered quarter panels for both driver and passenger, and the two knee rolls need to be removed.

It is then necessary to remove the carpet sections glued to the sill panels as well as the two sections (one each side) in front of the rear seat cushion, as well as the two carpet sections situated under the front seats, and also the small sections (one each side) glued to the floor next to the gearbox tunnel.

Last but not least, an attempt is made to save the underpadding glued to the bottom of the old carpet - this is not always successful on account of the delicate nature of the padding. Naturally, it's all got to be put back togther, and properly fitted. So when you talk replacing carpet, don't forget it is not just a matter of removing the four loose 'main carpet' coverings. Many hours go into this total job. Regards Styria
Old 11th June 2010, 06:25 PM
Aficionado

Hi Styria,

Although I separated the halves and cleaned the valve body out, I never touched the main valves on the horizontal plane. I'll double check the numbers of both types of ball for you, as well as the general condition.

Tim
Old 11th June 2010, 06:56 PM
The Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ 450 View Post
Hi Styria,

Although I separated the halves and cleaned the valve body out, I never touched the main valves on the horizontal plane. I'll double check the numbers of both types of ball for you, as well as the general condition.

Tim
If you could please, Tim, that'd be great, although there should only be 2 of 7mm balls, the rest would be 5.5mm. It just would be handy to know how many you had to start off with so that I can identify the valve body. Regards Styria
Old 14th June 2010, 11:52 PM
Aficionado

Hi Styria,
I sent you a PM regarding the valve body. I will continue my search for it.

Tim
Old 15th June 2010, 10:49 PM
Aristocrat

I've come a bit late to this posting but it shows the vast amount of work required to bring almost any 116 up to reasonable working order.

Congratulations to Styria for the work as well as the photography.

The carpets are beautiful and look more like RR than Benz and are the colour of the interior of my wife's ML.

A couple of comments

1) Any 116 (6.9 excepted), 126 or 124 that i have worked on really needs a version of the spring compressor as recommended by M-B if you wish to remove the lower arm.

Here is my one and is presently in the hands of TJ450 so that he can strip and re-build his 126 safely. I purchased it off an ebay shop and paid the cartage from the US a few years ago.

2) I have just rebuilt one of my front ATE calipers (I purchased a new one for the other side as it was missing it's titty for mounting the pad sensor loom) and the two rears.

Why do you need to split the calipers unless they are leaking at the join?

The fronts have plenty of clearance to blow out both pistons. The rears are a little tight but can still be done.

Bill
Old 16th June 2010, 01:29 PM
The Godfather

As I have made reference to, I was indeed going to fit black carpet to the interior of 'Goldie'. For some reason or other, I did have some new black carpet on hand, but I have no idea as to its origin and obviously the trimmer that was responsible for 'starting off the job' - (I only had two front and the left hand rear section.

Trying to be practical, I made the decision to choose a different colour, and some pics have already been posted. However, when making up the rears, I thought I'd take the opportunity to compare two identical left rear sections, i.e. the black and the beige/caramel. It makes for interesting viewing...

Obviously I need to say that the beige/caramel has the correct dimensions.

Regards Styria
Old 16th June 2010, 01:57 PM
The Godfather

Hi Bill, thank you for your observations regarding the carpet. As soon as I get an opportunity, I shall photograph and post a picture of the rear section - I am really pleased with the work carried out by Parks. I will also have some details soon as far as the rust repairs are concerned.

Regarding the splitting of calipers - yes, I split all of them for a number of reasons. First of all, I am mindful that reference has been made in ROVER Cars workshop manuals that calipers should not be split. To be honest, I see no earthly reason why this should not be done. It is simply a matter of undoing four bolts of various descriptions (depending on type of caliper) and at times one may need a special type of 'star socket'. I have never experienced any calipers leaking from within, whether before or after dismantling, and the benefit of splitting is manyfold. As with most calipers, surface rust and brake 'sludge' are an ever present problem when rebuilding the units, and it is just so much easier to clean the internal body of the caliper, including the groove that locates the inner square sectioned rubber 'O' ring.

Bill, ATE calipers are relatively easy to reseal, even with calipers that haven't been split. However, when it comes to the Bendix units as fitted to my 450SE, even with calipers split, I spent virtually hours in an effort to correctly seal the caliper pistons. I honestly don't think it would be possible to fit those dust seals unless the calipers are split. Regards Styria
Old 16th June 2010, 02:08 PM
The Godfather

Picture of rear carpet....

Regards Styria
Old 16th June 2010, 07:15 PM
Aristocrat

The carpets look absolutely beautiful.

By the way the spring compressor cost US$ 199 in June 2008.

Postage via USPS for the three items in the picture was US$96.75.

Please be safe if you fiddle with those front springs - they are lethal weapons.

Bill

Last edited by WGB; 16th June 2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 17th June 2010, 09:12 PM
Aficionado

I concur with Bill regarding the danger. You weren't replacing the suspension bushes though were you?

The ordinary spring compressor kits you can buy from all the usual places are not up to the task at all.

Tim