Topklasse Discussion Board  
Home Forum Legal/Privacy Media/Picture Gallery Websites and Links Technical

Go Back   Topklasse Discussion Board > THE CRAFTSMAN - TECHNICAL DEPARTMENT > INTERIORS

INTERIORS Its whats on the inside that counts... from dashboards to door handles you will find it here.

Old 9th January 2009, 01:57 PM
BAR

Default Old car - new Technology

With used cars, the first areas that people refurb … [are] wheels, tires and audio systems.

So many here on this forum have ambitions to update wheels, tyres etc to improve looks and / or handling.

Again so many 'lust' after the anitquated and inefficient Becker products from the 70's.

Elipse (in the USA) makes a dashboard device that has a CD player, GPS, an iPod connection and a DVD player that connects to screens in the back of the vehicle.

So why not toss the Becker for improved quality sound and extra functions - I invite your opinion.
Old 9th January 2009, 02:49 PM
Noble

Default Re: Old car - new Technology

Or simply update to the new Becker Mexico...
Are we getting DAB radio soon? What is it? What will happen to our old radios?
Regards,
Benz-Boy
Old 9th January 2009, 03:10 PM
Aficionado

For me, part of the enjoyment of owning a twenty-year-old car comes from the fact that everything is as original as possible. Replacing the Becker for some modern sound system doesn't really have any appeal to me.
Old 9th January 2009, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

Easy solution, install the Becker in the dash and wire it so the On control powers a modern head unit concealed under a seat or in the boot and operated by a remote control. All Beckers can be easily modified to operate this way, I've seen 2 or 3 of these set ups and they work really well.
Best of both worlds
#2723 6.3
W202 C240
W220 S500
Old 9th January 2009, 07:19 PM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by abl567 View Post
Easy solution, install the Becker in the dash and wire it so the On control powers a modern head unit concealed under a seat or in the boot and operated by a remote control. All Beckers can be easily modified to operate this way, I've seen 2 or 3 of these set ups and they work really well.
Best of both worlds
True, for many people that's probably a great solution. This may sound silly, but for me it's all about enjoying the "time capsule" experience of owning and driving an older car. At the risk of sounding really silly, fitting a hidden modern unit somehow seems like cheating.
Old 10th January 2009, 05:16 AM
Aficionado

I try to keep my car as original as possible and go to great lenghts to do so. Although, I did have the 'authorised' adaptaion done so I can connect an Mp3player to the Becker. It is discreet and efficient too.
Old 10th January 2009, 07:05 AM
Connoisseur

Hey, I even listen to The Eagles in my W116. Hip Hop just doesn't work when you are surrounded by fine German leather and wood.
'74 W116 350SE euro - the stand-in ride
'82 W126 500SEL euro - full hydraulics - the limo
'83 FORD XR3 - the beast

0 benzes on stands, 5 RUNNING
Old 10th January 2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s class View Post
Hip Hop just doesn't work when you are surrounded by fine German leather and wood.
Many a lyric about leather and wood in hip hop.
Old 10th January 2009, 05:15 PM
The Godfather

Hi guys, this is a really good subject to discuss, disagree on by telling them to go to buggery, or you listen and look politely just in case there is another side to the story of originality, personal enjoyment, what others may think...need I go on. Generally speaking, however, I say it is up to the individual - sitting on that fence ? No way. Let me explain.

As a rule, I prefer not to deviate from original - if I can help it. Unfortunately, the all black Becker Mexico Cassette Radio fitted to 6.9s (supposed to be better quality) as original equipment does not fare too well in the 'beauty stakes' - does it ? Sometimes, and it seems to depend from car to car, you can get reasonable sound and reception from them - in fact, reception can be surprisingly good. I'll find a picture in due course. So, what is the alternative ?

When I bought 'Gleaming Beauty', it had a Chinese made Tenvox Cassette Radio fitted. You know, nothing special, worked and looked okay, but did nothing for me. So, when I had a few spare dollars up my sleeve ( say about $2k. - silly boy), I decided to splash out big on the most expensive Pioneer unit at the time $1.2k - but, but , have a look at it - fake timber, great name, discreet looks, remote control....

It still stacks up today (on looks), sound okay with the help of Pioneer amplifier in boot of car - very neatly fitted and wired up, plus six speakers inside the car, and a Pioneer CD stacker, again in the boot.

So, it was the timber look and sheer monetary extravagance that made me to buy in preference to getting back to original. With my Astral Silver 6.9, a very original car (still for sale with all faults and warts - if you can find them), I wanted to stay original, but the black Becker Mexico had the little lid for the cassette missing, but I wanted to install a Mercedes unit, albeit from a different era - 1991 to be precise......

Neat and tidy, very good quality, looking quite attractive and badged Mercedes Benz - very important !....tell your auntie

Okay, haven't got original but, overall, I have come up with some very satisfying alternatives.

As a matter of comparison, you may also look at the interior layout of the Statesman we own with all its fake wood but, nevertheless, some very nice styling features on what is, essentially, a high class Motor Car - nine years old.

Regards Styria
Old 11th January 2009, 06:22 AM
GreaseMonkey

For what it's worth, both my daily cars, an '84 280E and an '84 190E have their original 'Becker Grand Prix Electronic', and original aerials, and they both work well enough as FM radios, although the one in the 280E has better reception.
I have a black front Becker Mexico that came out of my '80 280E that used to work well and sounds good until it developed a whistle, but I will get it repaired.
The reason I would prefer to get an original pin-stripe Mexico for the Crayford is just that I am restoring it to original and plan to keep it that way with only a discreet plug for the ipod.
I may also fit one in the SLC if one comes along, only because, again, that is a mint original '76 model and would probably be best kept that way now most have gone the big alloys route to blingdom.
My only real questions re expensive in-car hi-fi are;
first, how much can we really get from listening in the car, bearing in mind we are probably driving and music or whatever should be at a level where it is entertaining or even relaxing, but not so loud we can't hear anything else.
Second, if listeneing to the radio, there are only so many ABC stations around, all the rest are commercial and who really wants Harvey Bloody Norman shouting at you every ten minutes anyway?
Cds are ok, I even have a new in-the-box unopened stereo with cd changer I never got around to fitting as I have now got so used to the convenience of taking the ipod from one car to the other.
I know others have criticised the sound quality of the ipod, but I find it quite good enough for in car use, if not as good as my home hi-fi.
It is like the argument over whether we should spend thousands on a Plasma TV or a LCD screen, when in reality there is still b*gger-all worth watching on there?
I am damn sure not buying a $5k 'Home Entertaiment' package from Harvey, just so I can go home and watch his ads even bigger and louder, in between more Bert Newton and Red Symonds rubbish.
Chris M.
Old 11th January 2009, 06:57 AM
The Prince of Arabia

I just returned from a week up the coast (boy.... was it needed !!!)

Driving there and back in a Hyundai Santa Fe (courtesy of Hyundai Motor Cars Australia) fitted with an iPod connection and an MP3 (via memory stick receptacle) reader, I found listening to my choice of music fabulous.

That is one of the reasons I fited the late model Sony AM/FM/CD/Memory Stick player in the 690SEL.

MY choice ....
My music...

Each to his own

1978 W116 690SEL # 3312
1985 R107 500SL AMG
2000 C208 CLK430
Old 11th January 2009, 07:13 AM
The Godfather

Hi Grease Monkey, as far as your two cars are concerned, I am with you 100% of the way, especially as far as the Crayford bodied car is concerned.

On the other hand, for your 450SLC, you could consider the Becker Electronic unit as fitted to the 380SL and SLC's onward. I mean, the quality of those units ought to be up to par, although again I am not all that fond of the styling. Too mathematical...1,2,3,4,5 etc.

The earlier, striped units are fine, and attractive, but I think they are more suited to the 108/109 range, although I am well aware that the 116 range came fitted with them as well. It is up to the individual.

Music, the type I like (and I am versatile, you know, oompah, oompah with keg of beer in hand) and that's got to be loud - plus, if loud enough, you can't hear the rattling, thrashing, and gurgling from "Gleaming Beauty" when on the move. Plus, Latin American, Texas Tornadoes, Freddy Fender, Bellamy Bros, why they all sound twice as good when the volume is double. Another to come to mind - Sarah Brightman, wonderful orchestral work and Andrea Berg, Germany's darling and someone to die for - even in the car. That's me. Styria
Old 11th January 2009, 04:38 PM
Connoisseur

I can understand the reasoning behind keeping the original radio, but because my 6.9 currently has a Kenwood cassette unit that was fitted before I owned it, I am going to install a modern CD/USB/Bluetooth unit.

Apart from that fact that I dont have one, there is no point going back to the original radio when I mostly listen to recorded music and podcasts.

I find most broadcast radio boring these days, something I hope digital and satellite radio (if we ever get it) will fix with a wider range of programming. That said, on demand streaming radio over a 3G internet connection might also me coming to yur car in the future (http://www.theage.com.au/news/digita...004091554.html).
Old 11th January 2009, 06:18 PM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
I am damn sure not buying a $5k 'Home Entertaiment' package from Harvey, just so I can go home and watch his ads even bigger and louder, in between more Bert Newton and Red Symonds rubbish.
Chris M.
Do you ever watch the UK show called "Grumpy Old Men"?
Old 12th January 2009, 08:09 PM
GreaseMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by E200K View Post
Do you ever watch the UK show called "Grumpy Old Men"?
Of course, the whole series was all about me!
C.M.