Topklasse Discussion Board  
Home Forum Legal/Privacy Media/Picture Gallery Websites and Links Technical

Go Back   Topklasse Discussion Board > THE CRAFTSMAN - TECHNICAL DEPARTMENT > TECHNICAL INFORMATION

TECHNICAL INFORMATION How-to and detailed information on specific technical subjects

Old 10th March 2014, 05:33 PM
Aristocrat

Question Re: 9 speed Auto

You are on the ball with a complete oil drain Brian. Many years ago manufactures stoped putting drain plugs in torque convertors, .The only way to drain them was to drill a hole and weld it up again if that was what a customer wanted. Even loosening the valve body to overcome the convertor drain back valve only allowed the top half to drain. Mercedes must have seen the errors of there ways and fitted drain plugs ???????

P.S. even the oil pan drain plugs went the same way... The oil had to be sucked out..... well most of it.

Sean
Old 10th March 2014, 06:08 PM
The Godfather

Default Re: 9 speed Auto

Sean, I had never come across a converter with a drain plug until the advent of the 6.9. I suspect that the 450 has it as well, but never having owned a 450 as an everyday car, and not carrying out any maintenance, I am not sure about a drain plug arrangement.

I have always felt that it was essential to drain the oil from the converter, and that's always been carried out on Gleaming Beauty. Additionally, it's not a bad idea to remove the valve body, wash it out in petrol, blow dry and refit. The job's a little awkward 'on the ground', but it can be done. You just spend so much more time on a major box service such as this. Additionally, the reverse band (No.3) can also be adjusted at the same time, but it is not easy to get to. Regards Styria