Topklasse Discussion Board  
Home Forum Legal/Privacy Media/Picture Gallery Websites and Links Technical

Go Back   Topklasse Discussion Board > THE EXPERIENCE - DRIVING PLEASURE > MERCEDES W116

MERCEDES W116 Discussion specific to the W116 model

Old 16th July 2008, 08:55 AM
Aristocrat

Default 6.9 Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styria View Post
Mind you, Mercedes is doing its level best to make it very difficult to own a 6.9 - I won't go into details now, but they are sure determined to render them as old, useless relics. I am not blowing my trumpet (some might disagree - who cares what the dissidents may think), but if it wasn't for some of my experiments with suspension components, Gleaming Beauty would have been put to sleep by now - I simply could not afford to run her. Regards Styria

I don't think I have seen you elaborate on this further anywhere, what's happening Styria?

I think it was back in the days of the other forum you mentioned the leveling valves were skyrocketing over $4k an item and some other critical parts were no longer available new from MB.
Old 16th July 2008, 09:33 AM
Connoisseur

Default Re: 6.9 Parts

Much as I love the cars (6.9s), I can't possibly afford to fit new parts due to their excessive cost. Lucky for me most of the parts I needed for my current and previous 6.9 could be sourced as good used parts, rebuilt existing parts, or sourced from other model MB.

Same goes for my 450SE, I've had good success with used parts, however for a number of parts I have purchased new for it I've been relatively pleased with the costs.

I think this and similar web sites help make the economically-viable upkeep of 6.9s more feasable these days.

Ian.
6.9 #5440 = 20189H , Falcon GT BF2 # 620 = VMB 690