Topklasse Discussion Board  
Home Forum Legal/Privacy Media/Picture Gallery Websites and Links Technical

Go Back   Topklasse Discussion Board > THE CRAFTSMAN - TECHNICAL DEPARTMENT > TECHNICAL INFORMATION

TECHNICAL INFORMATION How-to and detailed information on specific technical subjects

Old 25th April 2017, 03:35 PM
The Godfather

Default Fuel Tank Saga

It's probably a couple of months, since I started my attempts to clean out the tank of one of my Rover 3 litre Coupes after a break of probably fifteen years. Needless to say, and I have already posted about this issue some six to eight weeks ago, so I'll refrain from repeating myself unduly. There have been three attempts by Redi Strip at Blacktown to clean the tank chemically, but I have never been able to eliminate fineish black dust particles despite many attempts using Kerosene, water, and finally Diesel.

My just recent attempt involved to use of two large plastic boxes, a very large funnel, a very large (again) stainless steel container, thirty two litres of Diesel, high pressure air hose and a very large strainer that I continually placed on top of the funnel, and under the drain tap when draining into the large stainless steel container. At long last, after three or four fills and drains, and use of high pressure air, I have finally been able to just about eliminate all traces of sediment. I am endeavouring to upload two pictures from my phone to illustrate the set-up I have used. Regards Styria

Last edited by Styria; 25th April 2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 25th April 2017, 05:52 PM
Noble

Default Re: Fuel Tank Saga

Wait a minute Styria - didn't you get a new knee last Friday? A progress report on that would be far more important than a petrol tank - surely?
I do hope the new knee works to your satisfaction?
Regards,
Brian

Last edited by BenzBoy; 25th April 2017 at 07:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 25th April 2017, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzBoy View Post
Wait a minute Styria - didn't you gate a new knee last Friday? A progress report on that would be far more important than a petrol tank - surely?
I do hope the new knee works to your satisfaction?
Regards,
Brian
Agreed, tell us about the knee! How are you and do you need anything?
#2723 6.3
#8659 3.5
W208 CLK430
Old 30th April 2017, 08:53 PM
Connoisseur

Styria asked me to post these pictures on his behalf

Old 30th April 2017, 09:47 PM
The Godfather

Thank you for your help, Bryce. The eight bottles you see lined up are full of Diesel that's been flushed through and filtered several times. You may also notice the long Air Blower Gun that is switched on as I am replenishing the tank with each bottle of Diesel, as well as when I drain usually four liters at a time into the large stainless container sitting on top of the two plastic boxes.

It's all been very, very time consuming but I am just about at the stage where I am confident that I will not strike any fuel problems when the cars are operational. This particular tank had also been chemically cleaned on three occasions. Regards Styria
Old 1st May 2017, 01:15 PM
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styria View Post
Thank you for your help, Bryce. The eight bottles you see lined up are full of Diesel that's been flushed through and filtered several times. You may also notice the long Air Blower Gun that is switched on as I am replenishing the tank with each bottle of Diesel, as well as when I drain usually four liters at a time into the large stainless container sitting on top of the two plastic boxes.

It's all been very, very time consuming but I am just about at the stage where I am confident that I will not strike any fuel problems when the cars are operational. This particular tank had also been chemically cleaned on three occasions. Regards Styria
At least you didn't repeat the process used by a member of one of the mercedes forums some years ago. He was trying to clean out a W108 tank and I think had used water. In order to dry the tank he had the idea of pushing a hairdryer into the filler hole. Needless to say after the explosion, the tank ended up about 50% larger than it started and he was lucky to escape without injury.