Topklasse Discussion Board  
Home Forum Legal/Privacy Media/Picture Gallery Websites and Links Technical

Go Back   Topklasse Discussion Board > THE EXPERIENCE - DRIVING PLEASURE > TALKING TORQUE

TALKING TORQUE Feel free to discuss your Driving Experience in all other models as well!

Old 19th April 2014, 10:34 AM
Aristocrat

Smile Re: Purchase of new honda jazz

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technolo...-technology-ac

Why did you not listen to me Styria ? and buy a MK V11 Golf. $23k on road.
Strong Torque via the Turbo from 1500RPM on. 7 lt/ 100ks round the Suburbs and 5.5 out of Town. ... A 6 speed manual
Michael is right about the Brake Pads though. With cylinder deactivation in the Golf there is a distinct lack of Engine Braking. See the link. I do know the Honda is a fine product, a friend has a seven year old Accord that still drives as well as the Day it left the Factory. Happy Motoring.... Sean
Old 19th April 2014, 05:33 PM
The Godfather

Default Re: Purchase of new honda jazz

Thanks Sean. I guess you summed it up quite well when you referred to the reliability aspect of your friend's Honda Accord. That was one of the most important aspects that we were hoping for - reliability. Additionally, the price of the Golf would have been just that much more than the Jazz, even at your great drive-away price.

I understand that the Jazz represents somewhat old tech engineering but that aspect is acceptable. Furthermore, Julie cannot handle a manual transmission car as well as one would wish, and I presume that an Automatic version of the Golf will add an extra $2K. onto the purchase price. However, I am glad that you are enjoying the Golf - as I said, the 4 cyl. Diesel Turbo version was quite a goer. Regards. Styria
Old 19th April 2014, 07:46 PM
Aristocrat

Turbo Diesel Golf is a revelation. Picked up one 4 years ago at Heathrow Air Port and driving round the perimeter Road from Europe Car, I thought I had an Alfa by mistake. Drove it 1..3...5 through the gears every day. Pulled like a Train returning 60/70 MPG. The best Diesel I have ever driven.

Sean
Old 20th April 2014, 07:52 PM
The Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sherry View Post
Turbo Diesel Golf is a revelation. Picked up one 4 years ago at Heathrow Air Port and driving round the perimeter Road from Europe Car, I thought I had an Alfa by mistake. Drove it 1..3...5 through the gears every day. Pulled like a Train returning 60/70 MPG. The best Diesel I have ever driven.

Sean
Sean, those consumption figures are astonishing. Certainly, the three year old Golf I drove about one month ago had that absolutely seamless acceleration. I found the ride a bit 'jiggly', but acceptable. The car sold for $17K., which was the dealer's price the previous owner had been offered. Apparently, when new back in '11, it was priced at about $32K. My contact had bought it for $13K. Thus, when one looks at new price, and the 'sold' price of $17K., that represents a huge drop over three years. Maybe, from that aspect, Golfs are not a good car to buy - what do you think ? Regards Styria
Old 20th April 2014, 08:52 PM
Noble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styria View Post
Sean, those consumption figures are astonishing. Certainly, the three year old Golf I drove about one month ago had that absolutely seamless acceleration. I found the ride a bit 'jiggly', but acceptable. The car sold for $17K., which was the dealer's price the previous owner had been offered. Apparently, when new back in '11, it was priced at about $32K. My contact had bought it for $13K. Thus, when one looks at new price, and the 'sold' price of $17K., that represents a huge drop over three years. Maybe, from that aspect, Golfs are not a good car to buy - what do you think ? Regards Styria
No worse than other new car depreciation really - and second hand prices have been cruelled by some new models selling for less than the model they replace.
It's only horse trading - nothing more and nothing less. Well, it's probably evenly less sophisticated than the camel markets of Oman ...
Regards,
Brian
Old 21st April 2014, 07:51 AM
Aristocrat

Cool Re: Purchase of new honda jazz

Well Styria, nothing is a good buy as Brian points out, and one of the worst offenders is Mercedes.
When the tide goes out all Boats are stranded.
Sean
Old 22nd April 2014, 07:13 AM
The Godfather

Subsequent to the purchase of the Honda, I did quite a bit of research on the net to see what information was available regarding possible problems of reliability, and owners' experiences of actual ownership and driving experiences. Most reviews are favourable - one aspect that seems to have slight issues is the CVT transmission. Luckily enough, Julie's car is fitted with a conventional 5 speed Auto, and it also has disc brakes to the rear wheels, and the car receives most praise for its versatility as far as passenger and luggage space is concerned.

The Company has now its 2015 model Honda Fit (American version) on display, and whilst there have been some changes, in the overall context they are fairly small and, luckily enough, the overall shape has not changed all that much. Surely, that has to be a small bonus when it comes to resale values in due course ? Here's hoping. Below, please find the latest review conducted in the States.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgLA14KavtM

Regards Styria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJwKgKunkAQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8_j0CgGxlQ

N.B. Apologies for 'flooding' the thread - carried out purely for future reference purposes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=044H7JUdWpU

Last edited by Styria; 22nd April 2014 at 07:33 AM.
Old 22nd April 2014, 08:01 AM
Noble

My sister has a fully specced Honda Civic sedan 2009 - she has now done 150,000 ks in it and the only repair apart from routine servicing has been one rear shock absorber. No electronic gremlins, no glitches with the auto transmission, all window switches work - and there are no groans from the body at all - not bad considering the roads where she lives. That must say a lot about the integrity of the manufacturing and initial design. Yes, it is boring as can be but then she has her Morris Minor for when she wants to live dangerously ... actually, it's not a bad car; rack and pinion steering and quite chuckable on the dirt roads; just don't expect it to stop when you brake ...
Regards,
Brian
Old 22nd April 2014, 08:52 AM
Aristocrat

Interesting about the Morris Minor Brian, as I started my apprenticeship on them in 1950 ( Ireland ) They were a revelation on roadholding at the time as most other offerings were all based on pre war designs with cart spring suspensions....... The brakes..... most push bikes had larger brake shoes !
Sean
Old 24th March 2017, 05:08 PM
The Godfather

Well, it's been almost three years since Julie's little Honda Jazz has made the pages of TK. The odometer is now showing just shy of 50K. kilometers and I am privileged to relate, that not a single item on the car has required attention. Absolutely perfect, and the mechanics just down from where we live, keep on reminding me that it is still like a new car. High praise indeed, but I can relate that the car has only seen rain and a wet road about half a dozen times in the last four years.

To my eyes, it is still very smart and modern looking and it is my considered opinion that it has better features than the latest Jazz offering from Honda. Alloy wheels as distinct from steel and hubcaps, rear spoiler on roof, disc brakes all round, as distinct from drums at the rear, repeater flashers incorporated as part of the side mirrors and, quite importantly, it is of genuine Japanese manufacture, and not Thailand as the latest model. As well, and I have mentioned this previously, a normal five speed Automatic rather than the dubious CVT arrangement as in the latest offering from Honda. If there is one aspect that could be criticised it is the size of the engine - 1.3 litres as compared to 1.5 that was available in 2013, but honestly the little car has never been revved past 3000rpm. As well, it has paddle shifters as standard.

The car is now no longer serviced by the Honda Dealers - servicing is being entrusted to the mechanical workshop down the road. Half price at about $160.00, and that includes genuine Honda parts and five litres of full synthetic engine oil supplied by myself, but the cost of that is included in the quoted figure of $160.00. Our experience with the Dealer that the car was bought from was less than satisfactory. Mentioned it previously - probably cleaned with a Gurney, leaving smear marks all over the car - I don't think they bothered to dry the car with a chamois, yet the car was handed to them spotlessly clean. Ironically, we received an email from the dealership just two days ago, offering a 5% discount and free wiper blades. Where have you been, we haven't seen you for at least twelve months........ It was one of those emails that did not offer a reply facility, and past dealings have clearly proved that there is absolutely no communication between Service and the Retail arm of the dealership.

Can I recommend the Honda ? Without reservation - it may not be the latest, nor the greatest, but by golly it takes a lot of beating. Regards Styria
Old 28th March 2017, 04:05 PM
Aristocrat

Sad that I cannot convert you to a VW Golf Styria. But as a Euro fan I am sold on the the Chassis Engineering of Germany. I did have a Japanese Car a few years back , a Subaru Liberty Boxer Six , a suburb trouble free Car. Until I opened it up on the highway , at around 160 Ks/hr, . Did not have the rock steady road holding of a Mercedes. We have just returned from a trip to the Gold Coast in our 7 year old C 200, again rock steady at any speed , fuel consumption 7.3 Lts/100 Ks and no oil usage.

And yes, I agree Honda do make a very good product, horses for courses I guess.

I will buy the next Golf , a Mk 8 due next year, but not an Automatic, the dreaded twin Clutch. Private advice from the Service Department of a VW, Dealer.......... stick with a 6 speed Manual !!!!!!!!
Old 28th March 2017, 06:30 PM
The Godfather

Sean, I certainly cannot disagree with your reasoning and sentiments expressed in your post. Of course, suburban handling of the little Honda is up to what one could expect. Vice free, reasonably flat cornering at "careful" speeds, and quite honestly the car has not been any higher speed wise on the open road than the advertised limits. Just once or twice has it been up to 120-125 kms/hour. At those speeds, all seemed well.

Manual boxes are out for us - the one who must be obeyed changes gears ad hoc, irrespective of speed and choice of gear required. Regards. Styria
Old 30th March 2017, 01:37 PM
Prodigal Son

I thought the Jazz had a CVT so it doesn't change gears which may be a good thing if addhoc is how it is done.
Memnoch #1873 6.9 255.6 RWHP
The Kommando believed only 1 in Oz
Old 30th March 2017, 08:13 PM
The Godfather

Yes Geoff, at some stage prior to our purchase in 2013, Honda fitted CVT transmissions to the Jazz, and this type of transmission is again used in the latest Thai built versions. Somewhere along the line, and luckily so, our Jazz has a conventional five speed Automatic. BTW, good to see you putting pen to paper on TK. Hope that life is treating you well. Regards. Styria
Old 11th April 2018, 06:44 PM
The Godfather

Should I continue from where I had left previously ? Why not. Daisy, the name of the Honda Jazz as well as the little pooch that Julie purchased three years ago, is still a paragon of reliability. The little Honda has now topped the 60K. kilometre mark, and I am pleased to relate that, other than routine servicing, not a single item has had to be replaced.

The car is serviced by mechanics down the road from us, and he still maintains that it is like "new". I supply him with the full synthetic Nulon 10/30 oil, and his servicing charge comes to $99.00. That includes rotation of tyres and cleaning the inside of the alloy rims, oil and filter change, replacement of cabin filter, and that's about it. There has not been a single failure of any component. He did indicate that all tyres are due for replacement at the next service in September, so we have had five years of tyre life, and still a good portion of useable tread. Brake pads are still fine (hardly any wear), discs are unmarked and free of grooving - in short, I don't think we could have bought much better or reliable. At the moment, I am considering which tyres to purchase in due course - presently Daisy is fitted with Japanese Dunlops (165 by 15) and I would be interested in others' opinions regarding tyre choice. Dunlops again ? Kumhos ? Hankooks ? Michelins ? Any advice would be appreciated. Regards Styria