Topklasse Discussion Board  
Home Forum Legal/Privacy Media/Picture Gallery Websites and Links Technical

Go Back   Topklasse Discussion Board > THE CRAFTSMAN - TECHNICAL DEPARTMENT > EXTERIORS & BODY REPAIRS

EXTERIORS & BODY REPAIRS Bring your beloved back to its former glory - or just polish the chrome some more!

Old 24th May 2016, 01:37 PM
The Godfather

One of the many reasons for my relative absence relates to the fact that I have been restoring one of my Rover 3 litre Coupes. In this instance, it is a 1966 Mark III Coupe.

Last edited by Styria; 24th May 2016 at 01:54 PM.
Old 24th May 2016, 02:12 PM
The Godfather

Default Re: rover

This is one of the photos of my Rover 3 litre 1966 Mark III Coupe. Regards Styria

As perhaps can be gauged, it is not only the exterior that's been fully restored. Also witness some of the interior items as well as a brand spanking new fully electronic fuel pump, valued at.......grrrrtgghjhh $450.00

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010079.jpg (508.5 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Styria; 24th May 2016 at 07:40 PM.
Old 24th May 2016, 02:41 PM
Aristocrat

Looks good
Old 24th May 2016, 04:24 PM
Connoisseur

Looks great Styria,
I am a big fan of these cars and I think the yellow paintwork looks great. So many are in that grey colour which in my opinion does them no favors. Pretty good spect too with the manual overdrive and the sunroof.

Notice you have the P5B wheels on it as well. Please keep the photos coming!

If you run out of room for it happy to take the hassle away from you

Bryce
Old 24th May 2016, 04:27 PM
Aristocrat

Smile Re: rover

That does not look like a B.W. Auto Box Styria, three old fashioned pedals on the floor ?...
Smart move to fit new SU Pumps. As they age almost impossible to make them reliable. Ask me how I know !
Looks very nice..... equals hard work. When is inspection Day ?
Old 24th May 2016, 04:48 PM
Noble

Now that IS a proper car!
Regards,
Brian
Old 24th May 2016, 05:49 PM
One Of The Boys

Wow, no wonder you don't have time for us TK members.

1978 W116 690SEL # 3312
1985 R107 500SL AMG
2000 W208 CLK430 Coupe
2003 W163 ML320
Old 24th May 2016, 07:17 PM
The Godfather

Thanks guys - I really do appreciate your most kind remarks. BTW, there are plenty more photos that I could post in due course. In the meantime, perhaps I could relate a bit of a story about this car. Back in 1979, well it may perhaps have been three or four or five years earlier, I spotted the car at the Holden Dealer's premises in Waitara. The price was $3300.00, but by the time I got back a couple of days later to purchase it, it had been sold. Then its colour was light grey with a red Webasto sliding sunroof - and I was bitterly disappointed.

It was then 1979 that I found the car again at Lindfield - private sale by a relatively young guy, alas it was but a former shade of itself. Biggest issue was the dry and split upholstery (a Rover trademark I hate to say !) and generally the car was somewhat tired in most respects. Mind you, it was good enough for me to take it to Perisher with two of my boys along for the ride. On the way, I blew the left hand front tyre (it was a retread - acceptable in those days) without any deviation from the straight and narrow, and we decided to hire a caravan at Berriedale only to experience a howler of a storm overnight. Honestly, I thought that was the end of us, but obviously we survived. I then drove the car for maybe about a year, but it eventually it gave way to a Mercedes 300lwb Finnie - 1966. I never really liked the Borg Warner 35 box in the car - it was gutless, as soft as dough in its operation and I just put the car away for the next, perhaps, twenty years. That's the beginning, or the middle part story of this car. Perhaps a couple of pics may be appropriate now. Regards Styria
Old 24th May 2016, 07:20 PM
The Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel View Post
Wow, no wonder you don't have time for us TK members.
No Michel, I still WANT to make time for TK - have to, to make it work. All I need is a story or a subject matter and I'm off ! Regards Styria

N.B. Better and more meaningful than Facebook.
Old 24th May 2016, 07:26 PM
The Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sherry View Post
That does not look like a B.W. Auto Box Styria, three old fashioned pedals on the floor ?...
Smart move to fit new SU Pumps. As they age almost impossible to make them reliable. Ask me how I know !
Looks very nice..... equals hard work. When is inspection Day ?
Sean, don't be so impatient. Yes, I ditched that dreadful BW35 box - the Rover 3 litre (6 cylinder) cars are far too heavy for that box - the earlier DG Box was much more robust and definitive in its operation. Converting to four speed with overdrive is one of my little problems. Somehow or other, I have lost the outputshaft flange from the back of the overdrive unit. Regards Styria
Old 24th May 2016, 07:35 PM
The Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by c107 View Post
Looks great Styria,
I am a big fan of these cars and I think the yellow paintwork looks great. So many are in that grey colour which in my opinion does them no favors. Pretty good spect too with the manual overdrive and the sunroof.

Notice you have the P5B wheels on it as well. Please keep the photos coming!

If you run out of room for it happy to take the hassle away from you

Bryce
Yes C107, I have both the Rostyles as well as standard steel rims with beautiful hubcaps. They are subtly elegant and top quality stainless steel. In my opinion, the four speed with overdrive really makes these Rovers a wonderful cruiser on the open road. The flywheel just builds up momentum. The colour scheme - completely my choice with the combination of Ford Crème and Rover Almond, the latter being a Rover P6 colour. I also have an Admiralty Blue Coupe (1963 Mark IIA) also with a Webasto Sliding sunroof. It cost $2000.00 about 1998 and it is one of only seven manual Coupes to come to Australia. There may be one other still in existence - as far as I know. Regards Styria
Old 24th May 2016, 07:45 PM
The Godfather

....a right royal mess - reassembling the dash is probably one of the more difficult aspects of the restoration process. Also note the size and length of the 4 speed with overdrive box. Regards Styria

Old 24th May 2016, 07:50 PM
The Godfather

......hard at work - No. 1 son - you can see his shoe !

Overhead Inlet, Side Exhaust valves 3 litre engine with separate water inlet manifold designed by Harry Westlake producing 135 bhp. At one stage, the Rover Company experimented with triple 2" carburettors for a gain of an extra 2hp @!

Power Steering box - one of its Achilles heels. This one was rebuilt, but don't ask me how many years ago. Note the Alloy brake/clutch fluid reservoir - it cost a bomb - hand made by engineer.

Last edited by Styria; 24th May 2016 at 07:58 PM.
Old 24th May 2016, 07:54 PM
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styria View Post
Yes C107, I have both the Rostyles as well as standard steel rims with beautiful hubcaps. They are subtly elegant and top quality stainless steel. In my opinion, the four speed with overdrive really makes these Rovers a wonderful cruiser on the open road. The flywheel just builds up momentum. The colour scheme - completely my choice with the combination of Ford Crème and Rover Almond, the latter being a Rover P6 colour. I also have an Admiralty Blue Coupe (1963 Mark IIA) also with a Webasto Sliding sunroof. It cost $2000.00 about 1998 and it is one of only seven manual Coupes to come to Australia. There may be one other still in existence - as far as I know. Regards Styria
makes sense I had never seen one in that colour - it really suits it.
My favorite of the standard colours was the admiralty blue with the silver (not sure of the name) roof.

Love to hear more about the cars and see more pictures as you get time and make progress.

Bryce

PS: I sent this thread to a friend of mine in South Australia who is a fan of these cars and has a Mk II Coupe
Old 24th May 2016, 07:59 PM
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styria View Post
......hard at work - No. 1 son - you can see his shoe !

Overhead Inlet, Side Exhaust valves 3 litre engine with separate water inlet manifold designed by Harry Westlake producing 135 bhp. At one stage, the Rover Company experimented with triple 2" carburettors for a gain of an extra 2hp @!
An interesting engine arrangement that I think adds to the uniqueness of these cars. Nice to see it so clean and without the bonnet and front grill too.

Bryce