Topklasse Discussion Board  
Home Forum Legal/Privacy Media/Picture Gallery Websites and Links Technical

Go Back   Topklasse Discussion Board > THE CRAFTSMAN - TECHNICAL DEPARTMENT > MECHANICALS

MECHANICALS With a 30 year-old automobile, there will always be discussion here - maintenance, modifications and mechanicals.

Old 6th March 2011, 07:40 PM
Respectable

Question 450 with no spark

I have a 450sel that cut out suddenly and would not start. An hour latter it started. A few days latter the same thing happened again, only this time it still wont go. A quick check found no spark. Having an identical car I started swapping bits. So far I have changed the coil and the control box. Once they had been swapped with the other car, the other car still runs but not the one with the problem. I checked the green wire from the dizzy for conduct, thats ok as well. I am getting power at the coil when cranking, but no spark. If anyone has any idears, I'd be very greatful.
Nudge.
Old 7th March 2011, 12:08 AM
Aristocrat

Default Re: 450 with no spark

Immediate thoughts would be HT coil lead, cap problem or rotor failure.

I don't know what does the triggering but I would look for an earth between trigger or green wire and earth.

Bill
Old 7th March 2011, 07:59 AM
Aristocrat

I had a guy that had a 280SEL that was misfiring. Put your foot down & it would wanna cut out. It would only increase speed if you pressed the throttle down slowly. He swapped parts from another car with no luck. He spent at least $1500 attempting to find the problem through other repairers, before he brought it to me. After checking (not replacing) the fuel supply, I had it put on an analyser which revealed a faulty coil. I now refer to the job as the $2K coil!

One of my cars is misfiring & I too have swapped parts to no avail. When I have the time to check it properly, I'll start from the basics & then put it on the analyser (not mine). It may turn out to be yet another coil. My Fairmont is lacking power & surging both on LPG & petrol. It's always done it on petrol, even after the fuel pump was replaced when it shorted out. I suspect the coil pack is playing up on that too. Coils can do some funny things before they fail altogether, so I'd be looking very closely at that....

01 Ford AU 5L (Deep Blue)
89 560L#322020
88 500L#451660-P
88 420L#422477-P
87 420L#324309-P
87 420L#-P
88 420L Euro#-P
88 420L#-P
86 560L#235896-P
79 6.9#5541 (Red Bull)
78 6.9#4248 (Skye)
79 6.9#3686 (Moby Dick)
78 6.9#1776 (Dora)
77 450L#067010-P
75 450L#028414 (Gold Nugget)-P
57 Buick 73A (Titanic)
Old 7th March 2011, 05:03 PM
Respectable

Talking Re: 450 with no spark

Yay. found the problem. It was a faulty immobilizer. In WA. we are required by law to have immobilizers fitted to our cars. (This is because the gov. did'nt want to punish people who steal cars.) Anyway the immobilizer cuts out two of the cars electrical systems. For some reason the immobilizer still apears to operate, as the light goes out and the starter will work. But the ignition was still disabled.
Good news for WA owners. Checked the gov. web site on immobilizers, and only cars under 25 years old have to be fitted with an immobilizer.
Nudge.
Old 7th March 2011, 09:35 PM
Aristocrat

Often, when electronic or electrical systems is when they start to fail, and before finally failing altogether, they often work intermittently. If your car stops again, try changing the fuel pump relay. They are reasonably cheap to replace. These days I carry a few different relay boxes in my glove box.

Styria can vouch for some of the sagas I had in this regard!
Old 8th March 2011, 06:03 AM
The Godfather

Well Nudge, you never mentioned the immobilizer. I had read your post, and all I could do was to scratch the baldy patch on my head ! I am glad you got the problem sorted. Just as a matter of interest, why not tell us a bit about your car, the work you have done, or may need doing, and perhaps a couple of photos wouldn't go astray. Thanks for posting. Regards Styria