Topklasse Discussion Board  
Home Forum Legal/Privacy Media/Picture Gallery Websites and Links Technical

Go Back   Topklasse Discussion Board > THE EXPERIENCE - DRIVING PLEASURE > MERCEDES W107

MERCEDES W107 Discussion specific to the W107 model

Old 7th October 2014, 08:00 AM
Aristocrat

Question heater water temp.

The vacuum water temp valve is either open or closed.... Lots of enquiries ( no result ) to see if anyone has come up with a modification to allow a modulation of the hot water flow to the Heater . i.e., to reduce the flow and control the temperature of the Cabin. .. Been in the to hard basket for a long while, as it was not a priority. The rest of the heat and Air Con system controls seem to work ok ..... I guess the only way is to be able to vary the vacuum to the valve , but how ?
The only way I can have some control is to open all the cold air vents at dash level, to reduce the flow to the foot wells with the fan off. I run an 82 % thermostat and engine temp rarely rises above 85%s.
Old 7th October 2014, 08:20 AM
Aristocrat

Smile Re: heater water temp.

Just been reading past posts about the 107's A daunting prospect to attend to Flaps ! I do not believe I have a Flap issue , just that the water is too hot in the Heater core. There was a 72 % thermostat in the car when I bought it and I don't recall having this problem. But the engine always ran too cold for my liking...... It's been Happier ever since with the 82% item
Old 7th October 2014, 12:07 PM
Aristocrat

Default Re: heater water temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sherry View Post
Just been reading past posts about the 107's A daunting prospect to attend to Flaps ! I do not believe I have a Flap issue , just that the water is too hot in the Heater core. There was a 72 % thermostat in the car when I bought it and I don't recall having this problem. But the engine always ran too cold for my liking...... It's been Happier ever since with the 82% item
Sean , on W107 the heater valve is only off or on. the amount of heat in the cabin is regulated by flaps in the heater box that control the amount of air that goes over the heater core. If you are getting heat when to have the heater switched off you may have a vacuum leak that is causing the valve to come on when you accelerate. Hope this helps.
Old 7th October 2014, 12:31 PM
Aristocrat

Cool Re: heater water temp.

Thanks Helmet, seems like I have a Flap issue after all.

Does the Red Slide control this Flap ?
And does the White Slide just direct the Air up or down ?

If it is a Dash out dismantle , I'll just learn to live with it.

The cure would be worse than the decease.
Old 7th October 2014, 05:28 PM
The Godfather

If Helmet's assessment is correct, and I suspect he is, you will not be able to drive your car during the summer months. As you said, and I think most of us know, an over centre flap is a nasty fix. Now I am not sure if this is possible - how about closing off the supply of the hot water BEFORE it enters the heater system ? I have had no experience with heater flaps on the 107, but on the 116 you can close off the system before it gets to the interior of the car. Regards Styria
Old 7th October 2014, 06:12 PM
Aristocrat

Question Re: heater water temp.

no problem with the valve turning off in the Summer. It is just too much cabin heat when turned on in the Winter. Is the Flap that controls the air flow to the Heater
located under the Fan Motor ? or is it not that simple ?

Thanks Sean
Old 7th October 2014, 06:47 PM
Aristocrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styria View Post
If Helmet's assessment is correct, and I suspect he is, you will not be able to drive your car during the summer months. As you said, and I think most of us know, an over centre flap is a nasty fix. Now I am not sure if this is possible - how about closing off the supply of the hot water BEFORE it enters the heater system ? I have had no experience with heater flaps on the 107, but on the 116 you can close off the system before it gets to the interior of the car. Regards Styria
Suspect ?

Yes it's very similar to the w116

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sherry View Post
no problem with the valve turning off in the Summer. It is just too much cabin heat when turned on in the Winter. Is the Flap that controls the air flow to the Heater
located under the Fan Motor ? or is it not that simple ?

Thanks Sean
Unfortunately the flaps are located in the lower heater box = big job .
Old 7th October 2014, 07:32 PM
Noble

You DON"T want to know this - but I am going to tell you anyway because it is so unusual. To access the heater flaps and servos in the Spirit is a 30 minute job for a novice. A series of knurled nuts come off the remove the wood fascia, 4 bolts hold in the top roll of the dash pad and the bottom half swing down on hinges. Voila - all is revealed!
The alternative is you simply plug the heater inlet hose for summer - cheap and effective.
Regards,
Brian
Old 8th October 2014, 07:41 AM
Aristocrat

Thumbs down Re: heater water temp.

Looking back at some detailed photos curtsey of Styria, it immediately came to mind the close relationship between Genius and madness.
What a convoluted and complicated design.
Obviously there was no communication between Designer and Service personal............As I type this my too hard basket is at my feet ..problem solved