Topklasse Discussion Board  
Home Forum Legal/Privacy Media/Picture Gallery Websites and Links Technical

Go Back   Topklasse Discussion Board > THE EXPERIENCE - DRIVING PLEASURE > TALKING TORQUE

TALKING TORQUE Feel free to discuss your Driving Experience in all other models as well!

Old 14th January 2009, 06:40 PM
The Godfather

Default BENTLEY MX - 4.25 litre Derby

Would any of our afficionados like to comment on this particular Bentley ? It is a James Young bodied fixed head Coupe, ca. 1939, fitted with the 4.25 litre Bentley engine, and four speed box, with top being an overdrive ratio.

It is one of three examples world wide, with two in the States. It is known as the MX model (don't think it's called the MX6). It was commissioned by Barclays of London for an Australian owner, and it has spent its entire life in this country.

It came to Parks' workship to have new carpet fitted.

.........final picture

It is owned locally (at Glenorie) and it is believed that the owner is a member of the RR Owners Club. Regards Styria
Old 15th January 2009, 11:34 AM
Connoisseur

Default Re: BENTLEY MX - 4.25 litre Derby

Is the blue carpet the old carpet? Depressing.....
Old 15th January 2009, 05:27 PM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas View Post
Is the blue carpet the old carpet? Depressing.....
Yeah it certainly is lukas, it is one of the worst carpet binding jobs Ive ever seen, Ive sent styria some finished pics of the capet so hopefully he can post them for us....regards Brent
Old 15th January 2009, 07:52 PM
Noble

This very fine Derby Bentley will be in capable hands with young Mr Parker.
Regards,
Benz-Boy
Old 15th January 2009, 08:05 PM
GreaseMonkey

Known as the Derby Bentleys after Rolls Royce bought the firm and moved it from Cricklewood these are fabulous cars. The 4.25 was the later iteration of what was originally in 1933 a 3.5 and the ultimate of all the Rolls-Bentleys.
Just 200 of the 2,400 Derby Bentleys built were fitted with the overdrive from 1938 and the 100 with even chassis numbers had the suffix MR, the odd numbered ones had the MX suffix.
Around half those built were bodied by Park Ward, but James Young along with Gurney Nutting offered elegant open and closed sporting body styles.
It is certainly deserving of sympathetic restoration, the original carpets would have been genuine Wilton.
Nice car, check with BenzBoy, he probably knows it?
Chris M.
Old 15th January 2009, 08:30 PM
Noble

Wilton - indeed. I still have the original Wilton in the boot of the PII and it will always stay there. It is rather moth-eaten and tatty but I doubt I will ever have the heart to throw it out. After all, it is only 76 years old.
One day Mr Parks will be commissioned to redo the interior of the PII and return the upholstery to the original pattern with sunburst patterns on the doors etc. I would not dream of using anyone else.
Regards,
Benz-Boy
Old 16th January 2009, 04:06 PM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzBoy View Post
Wilton - indeed. I still have the original Wilton in the boot of the PII and it will always stay there. It is rather moth-eaten and tatty but I doubt I will ever have the heart to throw it out. After all, it is only 76 years old.
One day Mr Parks will be commissioned to redo the interior of the PII and return the upholstery to the original pattern with sunburst patterns on the doors etc. I would not dream of using anyone else.
Regards,
Benz-Boy
Much apreciated Brian, I think we would be able to come up with something good .......the wilton in this car had been redone before, cos the way the binding was it certainly didnt come from bentley like that, the wilton I used was the wilton no3 midnight blue which matches the duco , we were goin to put leather binding on but at the last minute the owner decided against it and prefered cloth.....
Old 16th January 2009, 04:32 PM
Noble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parks View Post
Much apreciated Brian, I think we would be able to come up with something good .......the wilton in this car had been redone before, cos the way the binding was it certainly didnt come from bentley like that, the wilton I used was the wilton no3 midnight blue which matches the duco , we were goin to put leather binding on but at the last minute the owner decided against it and prefered cloth.....
It is correct for that time of manufacturing for the carpet to be the same colour as the body rather than matching the seat colour.
Regards,
Benz-Boy
Old 16th January 2009, 06:59 PM
Aficionado

Quote:
It is correct for that time of manufacturing for the carpet to be the same colour as the body rather than matching the seat colour.
Regards,
Benz-Boy
yeah I knew that not!!
it worked out well then haha
Old 16th January 2009, 07:32 PM
The Godfather

There was what I considered to be a very good reason why I started the thread on this quite lovely and elegant Derby Bentley.Rarity is one of course, and I might add that it is ONLY the little lamps on the front guards that render this car so rare and special. I also understand that it is the only one in the world with a badge displaying the initials JB (I think !) somewhere near the bottom of the radiator grille.

Such is the fetish of 'old car collectability' that these small changes can mean so much in what must be a very competitive, and capricious market. It is gratifying that Grease Monkey knows enough about these cars to really give this model the 'thumbs up' approval.

Another reason also for displaying the car with its interior. All frightfully British, one could say, yet I tend to find the dash part somewhat austere and lacking in beauty. You may well ask why I would think along those lines ?

Well, take the equivalent Mercedes of that period, or thereabouts. Do we remember particular cars from Salzburg Classic Days and the Amerang Museum in Germany ? Just have a look (I've got to find those pics !)

Admittedly, the Mercedes may well be a (or may have been !) a five million Euros car, but it is interesting to observe the difference in approach to trimming and dashboards between English and German. Regards Styria
Old 16th January 2009, 08:03 PM
Noble

It could be that a few more issues than just the existence of those wing lamps makes this a rare model. Let me loan you a few books....Mr S.
Does the owner have the build data from Hunt House? Does it mention Savigear?
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Last edited by BenzBoy; 16th January 2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 17th January 2009, 04:03 AM
The Godfather

Quote:
It could be that a few more issues than just the existence of those wing lamps makes this a rare model. Let me loan you a few books....Mr S.
Does the owner have the build data from Hunt House? Does it mention Savigear?
Regards,
Benz-Boy
Those are questions I cannot answer. However, might ask Parks if he can find out more details - you never know, you may yet discover the meaning and/or other details about Savigear. Regards Styria