Topklasse Discussion Board  
Home Forum Legal/Privacy Media/Picture Gallery Websites and Links Technical

Go Back   Topklasse Discussion Board > THE VENDOR - TOPKLASSE SHOP > RECOMMENDED SUPPLIERS

RECOMMENDED SUPPLIERS Got a good deal recently? Share your supplier contacts with the community

Old 6th March 2020, 05:49 AM
The Godfather

Default Automatic Gearbox Additive

I am interested to hear from members, particularly those with good knowledge of Automatic Transmission Repair, concerning an Additive by the name of "REVITALIZANT. Also, the use and suitability of a synthetic auto transmission oil produced by ATLANTIC. My Holden Captiva has been the recipient of both products as a result of some anomalies in the operation of the Holden Captiva's gearbox. It is a five speed Automatic.

I have researched details of both products on the Internet AFTER the change of oil, and the reviews are favourable with both products. The Auto Repair Shop did make it quite clear that their recommendations for the use was NOT a guarantee to cure any or all gearbox issues, but they have had nothing but positive feedback from jobs and tasks carried out on other vehicles. The cost of draining the old oil and supplying fresh Transmission Fluid plus the Revitalizant came to a reasonable $185.00. Incidentally, the Additive is manufactured in the Ukraine. Any thoughts or comments ? Regards. Styria
Old 6th March 2020, 08:18 AM
Aristocrat

Talking Re: Automatic Gearbox Additive

Like Engine Oil additives I don't see the need for Transmission Additives. In the past there was a problem with the then quality of the seal material. An additive helped keep them pliable. Of course all seals become inflexible with age and an additive may rejuvenate them for a while.(.Cold and Hot cycles don't help)
. As a preventive method I don't believe it will make any difference.
Transmission today will run hundreds of thousands of Ks without Seal failures, failing for other reasons... the cost accountant dictate the life cycle !!
Old 9th March 2020, 05:58 PM
Aristocrat

Default Re: Automatic Gearbox Additive

Canít do any harm, except to your hip pocket, no need for additives, they are only an extra revenue centre for the automotive industry
Old 10th March 2020, 06:27 AM
The Godfather

Hi Peter, thanks for your advice. I value it obviously for the reason of your experience in the motor industry. (Maybe I should ask Scotty Kilmer as well ? )

The money has changed hands, so on that score I am already the loser. On the other hand, changing the gearbox oil some three to four months ago (I can look up the actual date) certainly did not provide the desired solution. Mind you, in addition, I was totally surprised by the discoloured oil that was removed the other day. Just to what extent the previous shop went to in changing the oil I don't know. There is no pan on the Captiva and the oil was siphoned out.

I still wouldn't mind knowing how suitable Synthetic Oil is for a box that's done almost 200K. kilometres, and why different oil is used for the four speed and the five speed Automatic. One area of concern was the fact that the first shop told me that I had a four, and not a five speeder in the car.

Regards Styria

N.B. Food for thought ?
http://www.topklasse.net.au/forums/n...wreply&p=63296

Last edited by Styria; 10th March 2020 at 06:33 AM.
Old 10th March 2020, 06:47 AM
Aristocrat

Smile Re: Automatic Gearbox Additive

200ks ? The cost accountant's transmission has had an exceptional run !
Old 11th March 2020, 07:03 PM
Aristocrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styria View Post
Hi Peter, thanks for your advice. I value it obviously for the reason of your experience in the motor industry. (Maybe I should ask Scotty Kilmer as well ? )

The money has changed hands, so on that score I am already the loser. On the other hand, changing the gearbox oil some three to four months ago (I can look up the actual date) certainly did not provide the desired solution. Mind you, in addition, I was totally surprised by the discoloured oil that was removed the other day. Just to what extent the previous shop went to in changing the oil I don't know. There is no pan on the Captiva and the oil was siphoned out.

I still wouldn't mind knowing how suitable Synthetic Oil is for a box that's done almost 200K. kilometres, and why different oil is used for the four speed and the five speed Automatic. One area of concern was the fact that the first shop told me that I had a four, and not a five speeder in the car.

Regards Styria

N.B. Food for thought ?
http://www.topklasse.net.au/forums/n...wreply&p=63296
Sounds like they didn’t drain the Converter, that’s where all the fluid is so no wonder it was discoloured, they did half, no 1/4 oil change. Did they change the Filter ?
Old 11th March 2020, 07:57 PM
Aristocrat

Cool Re: Automatic Gearbox Additive

Converter Oil drain has been the bane of Transmissions for a long time now. I can't remember when the Drain Plugs were discontinued ( to save money ) !!
We always drilled an 1/8 th hole in the bottom to drain them when rebuilding Commodores, for example, and welded them up again. If there was Metal in the pan we cut them open and welded them shut my hand. Never had a problem.
I had a steady Hand when young !!!