Topklasse Discussion Board  
Home Forum Legal/Privacy Media/Picture Gallery Websites and Links Technical

Go Back   Topklasse Discussion Board > THE EXPERIENCE - DRIVING PLEASURE > TALKING TORQUE

TALKING TORQUE Feel free to discuss your Driving Experience in all other models as well!

Old 10th March 2013, 07:45 PM
Aristocrat

Default Re: Purchase of new honda jazz

Good choice of car Styria.

Here is the little Jazz my late wife and I purchased last year in April - she chose the colour.

It was purchased because the second garage in our town house is only 4 metres long and we could only park one big car off road at a time.

15,000km and never missed a beat. At the first service the filter change was a $27 optional extra and the service manger was mystified that I actually requested him to do it so I assume it is unusual to request it.

My criticisms of the car are that the headlights need to be manually turned off when the ignition is turned off (rare these days with new cars) and that the fuel consumption up and down the hills here is a bit ordinary but then mine is a 1500 with 5 speed automatic (The late "she who must be obeyed" would not allow a manual which was my preference) but the auto is actually quite good.

In this day and age bluetooth streaming of music from your smartphone would be a nice addition to the standard fitted Phone Bluetooth and wired ipod connection but maybe that is being a little picky.

I drive most of my round town mileage in my little Jazz and it is quite an impressive little drive on the twisty bits.

Bil.
Old 11th March 2013, 05:02 AM
The Godfather

Hi Bill, it's good to get your opinion on the little Honda - I did a fair bit of reading on the net about the older models, and general consensus seemed to give the car a clean bill of health. There was some criticism of high Honda servicing costs, and also the CVT transmission in some of the models was found to be somewhat unwanted by some owners.

Your car pictured is fitted with the larger engine, but I am not sure if this would account for your 'Ho Hum' fuel consumption - quite often, a larger engine will provide you with better fuel economy because the engine doesn't have to work as hard. We took our little baby for a 140 kilometer drive on Saturday, going up to Springwood in the lower Blue Mountains range, and then across to Agnes Banks and Richmond, and back to Parramatta, and the consumption worked out to 6.7l./100kms, or 42.something in the old imperial terms. I thought that was more than fair with a tight, new engine. Did not use the paddle shifters at any time, but the little car (that title seems to be so appropriate) does change back to the next lower gear without a lot of prompting - but not enough to be a nuisance.

Presently, it would appear that the colour chosen by your wife is no longer available - well, at least I don't think so, and the Alloys are a slightly different design. Other than that, the cars seem identical. BTW, you speak of Bluetooth etc. etc. There is a Bluetooth facility with switches on the 'A' pillar, and there is also a USB cable connected to the system. Is this what you are talking about - does your car not have that or are you talking about additional features that you would have liked to have in your car ? Anyway, it's good to get such an excellent report from you. BTW, those terms of endearment - little car, little baby (on my part), little Honda - they just seem to fit the car so well. Regards Styria

Last edited by Styria; 11th March 2013 at 05:41 AM.
Old 11th March 2013, 06:03 AM
The Godfather

To get back to the summary of this little Honda, I'd like to talk a little about the interior. It is a very agreeable place to be in - comfortable, well supportive seats, and clearly legible, but fairly simple instruments. All controls are at your fingertips as one would expect from new cars nowadays, and it has cruise contol, electrically adjustable mirrors, and well designed and easily controlled switch gear.

Air conditioning can be adjusted to suit individual requirements, more than likely a routine feature nowadays. One aspect that is particularly welcome is the large distance between front seats and the bottom of the front screen - it really makes this Honda a much larger car to be in, and this impression is further enhanced by the small additional side windows next to the dash. The steering wheel can be adjusted for both reach and height, it has audio controls on the steering wheel (in leather, as is the gearknob), and of course it has the plus and minus gearchange paddles. Plenty of good lighting and courtesy mirrors on both sides, and all in all, this little car (bigger than most minis !) is well equipped and a nice place to be in. Incidentally, I believe the instrument lighting is 'on' at all times, but the intensity of the lighting reduces automatically at night when the headlights are switched on - to stop instrument glare.

Driving wise, the suspension is firm, but not uncomfortable, and tyre rumble is present on certain surfaces. Again, not overly so. Last but not least, I do believe in the Honda product, with its perceived integrity of development, and quality of manufacture. In the end, the choice was easy and seems to be well deserved. Regards Styria

Last edited by Styria; 11th March 2013 at 07:18 AM.
Old 11th March 2013, 06:28 AM
One Of The Boys

Nice pics Godfather.

Heartfelt congratulations.

1978 W116 690SEL # 3312
1985 R107 500SL AMG
2000 W208 CLK430 Coupe
2003 W163 ML320
Old 11th March 2013, 07:20 AM
Noble

Good morning Styria what is the Jazz's fuel consumption like?

I am impressed with the Jazz and Honda do have a good name for making good cars.
Old 11th March 2013, 07:25 AM
The Godfather

Tim, details of fuel consumption in my post replying to WGB. I am glad you like the little 'battleship" !

Regards Styria
Old 11th March 2013, 07:30 AM
Noble

Sorry Styria yes did mention the fuel consumption.

We took our little baby for a 140 kilometer drive on Saturday, going up to Springwood in the lower Blue Mountains range, and then across to Agnes Banks and Richmond, and back to Parramatta, and the consumption worked out to 6.7l./100kms, or 42.something in the old imperial terms

'Little Battleship', good name for the new Jazz I like it!
Old 11th March 2013, 11:57 AM
Aristocrat

My fuel consumption average is about 7.8 L/100km but that is all metro running - and in the hills at that. It has never been on a long country run to see what happens.

Unfortunately I have driven several C220CDI's over the same terrain and they have been returning 6.1 L/100km so that is what i have been comparing my Little honda with.

My Jazz was from a batch of Japanese manufactured cars that were imported following the floods in Thailand so that would explain why the colour is no longer available. I think the Thai Blue is duller than the Jap version.

There are advantages and disadvantages with the Jap assembled cars as I ordered mine with a centre armrest and side bump strips.

The side bump strips in the correct colour took some months to arrive(and are not shown in that early photo) and I was told the centre armrest could not be fitted as they could only supply the version for the Thai manufactured car.

A bit of googling soon produced the result that the US Honda "Fit" (as the Jazz is known outside the old Empire) is Japanese assembled so i ordered a centre armrest from a Honda Dealer in Michigan for $186 (vs the Oz price of $440) and fitted it myself. Perfect "Fit".

Anyway I still love my little Honda.

Bill
Old 22nd March 2013, 05:26 AM

Okay, the little battleship has now traversed a bit over eight hundred kilometers in a fortnight, and today she is booked in with the dealers for the first monthly/1000 kms. service/check up. So, what is she like to drive, and do we think we have made the right choice ? Regarding the latter - yes, we have, as I really think, or get the impression, that we drive a larger car and if one parks her against some of the other "Minis", there is no doubt that she is bigger and more substantial - well, at least to look at. Also, we are happy with the choice of colour - if I may say so, subtly elegant, conservative, and nicely highlighted by the shine, and design, of the standard Honda Alloys. BTW, it is quite co-incidental that there is a Jazz exactly the same as Bill's just down the road from us.

Regarding driving impressions - it does pitch and patter a little on uneven or broken surfaces, but because it is expected, one tends to ignore that. However, I have found that by increasing the speed from a leisurely sixty to eighty (on the Cumberland Highway), the suspension seems to 'flatten out' to some degree and the ride becomes more comfortable. In any case, even at the worst of times, it is acceptable. Comparing the the ride with the much lamented Statesman, there is not a lot of difference. Suspension wise, that car left a little to be desired. May I also say one more thing: I sort of have been accused, or it has been intimated, that my judgement is somewhat jaundiced by whatever I may own - that is far from being the case. If anything, I am my own worst critic, even to a fault.

Now, as far as driving is concerned - the five speed Automatic, with some features I still have to elaborate on, and describe, features fairly prominently in the sales brochure. However, this has been my 'unusual' experience. Crossing the Hawkesbury bridge on the F3 and heading 'up that hill" towards Sydney, I was in top gear at about 100 kms/hr, and with its high gearing (about 45/1000rpm), and the little motor started to struggle to maintain the speed. So I pulled the gear lever (not the paddle) back to 'S' and naturally the box selected fourth(?) gear, but holding a steady throttle, the car automatically increased its speed by about ten kilometers an hour and made light work of the hill. I found that uncanny - does anyone have any comment about this type of feature or experience ?

Regarding fuel consumption with combined country and normal city driving (local running, and to Maroubra and back) is showing 6.3 liters/100 kms. They are very good figures as far as I am concerned. Hope that you guys find some interest in this. Regards Styria
Old 31st March 2013, 07:17 PM
The Godfather

Perhaps a brief uipdate may be in order. As mentioned in the earlier post, the initial 1000km/one month service has been carried out. There were no problems - well, certainly not as far as we know, and the service people washed the car and vacuumed the interior. As at today's date, the odometer is now showing a bit over 1400 kilometers, and yesterday (being Easter Saturday0, we went to see some friends at the Entrance. A two hundred kilometre round trip.

What can I report ? Firstly, I am still getting to know Little Miss Daisy (I call her my little battleship) - a name given to her by Julie, so I have to respect that. Getting to know her....well, yes. On the Freeway, it would seem that the little 1.3 litre engine is pulling almost, or about, fifty kilometers an hour in top gear. Compare that with forty for the 6.9 in the same rev range. Obviously, something has to give when you're in top gear and you start going uphill at the same time. The Autobox will quickly respond to slight depression of the accelerator pedal, and it will quite quickly pull back to third gear. That's when the engine starts to sound busy, or somewhat buzzy. Now, one needs to remember that maximum torque is attained at about 4400rpm, so is it any wonder that the engine starts to sign off when you're at 2000 rpm and travelling at 100 kms/hour. There's no torque as such.

That's when you need to start thinking. Firstly, take the little baby up to about 120-125 when approaching a steady incline, such as one encounters on the F3. This engine is a very happy little unit when STARTING to hit 120 and beyond - it just builds and builds momentum, and I believe 160 is easily attained.That however, is academic. So let's get back to 120 or so, and when the speed drops to a bit above 100, pull the paddle back one notch to fourth gear and I reckon she will just keep going and maintain 110. That's what I think. Also, at this stage, I have not used cruise control. That will be another experience, having regard to gear ratios and torque figures.

Otherwise, this little battleship is turning out to be quite a jewel. Very, very happy. Regards Styria
Old 10th April 2013, 02:40 AM
The Godfather

In another thread, I have briefly queried the need to run in a modern engine. Whilst we have taken Little Miss Daisy (I do think it is a male ) to The Entrance and also a short country trip to Springwood, and thence Winmalee, Richmond and back to Parramatta, neither of those two trips really involved prolonged high speed driving.

On The Entrance trip and going north, we used the Central Coast Highway with a coffee stop at East Gosford thrown in for good measure. Oh yes, we have also been to Peats Ridge for the Rolls Royce get together, but again I endeavoured to avoid constant high speed cruising. Any thoughts on this - I am talking about running in. In days gone by, it was recommended to let a car pull throught the gears with fairly frequent changes, and it was recommended not to engage in prolonged high speed driving. Do these recommendations apply to new, modern engines ? Regards Styria
Old 20th April 2013, 05:14 AM
The Godfather

Please forgive me for logging the review as shown hereunder. I am being selfish about it, primarily as I want to retain details of various tests and summaries to establish a logbook type portfolio to be part of the car's service history.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/214274/h...zz-gli-review/

The summary is fairly interesting. It refers to a lively engine 'above 3500 rpm' and after some eighteen hundred kilometers, the engine feels a little more lively and responsive. BTW, her owner has come up with an exclusive name for the little car - DAISY - and Daisy it is from hereon in. Daisy differs a little from the review - she has a roof spoiler, plus proper Alloy wheels, albeit 15". Fuel consumption is quite exemplary unlike one of the tests that is not too kind on that aspect - Daisy never seems to vary much from about 6.6l/100 kms. I still haven't quite worked out how best to use the Automatic - for the time being, I'll let Daisy do her own thing. Thanks for bearing with me. Regards Styria
Old 19th April 2014, 08:04 AM
The Godfather

I am now able to add a little more to the story of "Daisy". She has now had her second service (12 months) with a mileage reading of 14K. kilometers at a cost of $290.00, which included engine oil, engine oil filter and particle filter, plus, I guess, a NORMAL routine check of componentry.

Daisy has been absolutely trouble free - not one single item being troublesome. I had also noticed that the engine seemed to be more willing to accelerate, and I would put this down to the motor loosening up nicely with the increased mileage since new. In addition, fuel consumption on a recent trip to the Central Coast improved to 46.6 mpg, or 6.1l./100 mms. Just a brief word about the cruise control feature. If for argument you set it to 110kms., and once you start to go down inclines which would increase the speed of the car, the Honda maintains the set speed by actually changing down a gear, or possibly two. Thus, the Auto changes down to fourth, perhaps third, to hold the speed at 110. This of course results in higher rpms. With a corresponding increase in fuel usage, I suspect. Thus, nowadays, when approaching downhill sections, I disable the cruise control. Anyway, the improvement in consumption is interesting and, of course, readily accepted.

If there is one aspect that could be criticised, one could find fault with the lack of torque. Mind you , though, this is something that one has to expect from 1.3 litres engine capacity, and Hondas have always been known to thrive on revs. I suspect that the Jazz engine is part of that tradition. Regards Styria

Last edited by Styria; 19th April 2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 19th April 2014, 09:48 AM
One Of The Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styria View Post
If for argument you set it to 110kms., and once you start to go down inclines which would increase the speed of the car, the Honda maintains the set speed by actually changing down a gear, or possibly two. Thus, the Auto changes down to fourth, perhaps third, to hold the speed at 110. This of course results in higher rpms. With a corresponding increase in fuel usage, I suspect. Thus, nowadays, when approaching downhill sections, I disable the cruise control. Anyway, the improvement in consumption is interesting and, of course, readily accepted.
Regards Styria
Godfather,
If you are driving an old car with a carburator, then engine braking will use fuel.
If you have a computerised fuel injected car (like Miss Daisy), then the computer will detect the engine braking condition and shut the fuel off.

Don't worry about fuel consumption, worry about wearing the pads out.

1978 W116 690SEL # 3312
1985 R107 500SL AMG
2000 W208 CLK430 Coupe
2003 W163 ML320
Old 19th April 2014, 09:54 AM
Noble

Sounds like 'Driving Miss Daisy', sorry old joke!

Wear out the brake pads Godfather anyhow the Jazz looks very smart enjoy the car!