Topklasse Discussion Board  
Home Forum Legal/Privacy Media/Picture Gallery Websites and Links Technical

Go Back   Topklasse Discussion Board > THE CRAFTSMAN - TECHNICAL DEPARTMENT > EXTERIORS & BODY REPAIRS

EXTERIORS & BODY REPAIRS Bring your beloved back to its former glory - or just polish the chrome some more!

Old 4th October 2011, 12:45 AM
Never finished

Default Rear windscreen glass removal - Any tips?

Hi guys.
Time time to fix those 3 rust spots under my chrome trim on the back window.
I am having the rear windscreen glass popped next week by a professional windscreen guy. I'm giving him the go ahead to cut the rubber in order to (hopefully) get the glass out in 1 piece. Its original rubber, so its been there since 1975. Obvously there will be a new rubber reinstalled when the panel beater has finished his magic.
My question is...........Even tho the glass is being pulled professionally, there is still a big chance of it breaking, ( I am told). Are there any tips, I can relay to this guy specific to the w116 model that may help him? He readily admited, he hasn't done many of this model.
Any info is appreciated,

cheers
Old 4th October 2011, 09:38 AM
Noble

Default Re: Rear windscreen glass removal - Any tips?

Yes there is a chance it will break despite every effort to save it. Mind you, every time I have been warned of that, the glass has still come out unscathed.
I don't know where you are in Australia but if you are in Sydney I do recommend Ralph Moore glass who has done the job a number of times.
Regards,
Brian
Old 4th October 2011, 11:26 AM
Never finished

Thanks Benzboy.

I'm in Melbourne, however I thank you for your reply.
It made me update my own profile to reflect that!
cheers
Old 4th October 2011, 11:28 AM
The Prince of Arabia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkozzy View Post
Hi guys.
Time time to fix those 3 rust spots under my chrome trim on the back window.
I am having the rear windscreen glass popped next week by a professional windscreen guy. I'm giving him the go ahead to cut the rubber in order to (hopefully) get the glass out in 1 piece. Its original rubber, so its been there since 1975. Obvously there will be a new rubber reinstalled when the panel beater has finished his magic.
My question is...........Even tho the glass is being pulled professionally, there is still a big chance of it breaking, ( I am told). Are there any tips, I can relay to this guy specific to the w116 model that may help him? He readily admited, he hasn't done many of this model.
Any info is appreciated,

cheers
I concur with BenzBoy about the fact it might break (although the chances are slim, unless the glass man is not experienced).
Don't forget the pictures when the job is done

1978 W116 690SEL # 3312
1985 R107 500SL AMG
2000 C208 CLK430
Old 4th October 2011, 12:35 PM
Aristocrat

If it is an original fitting it is likely the rubber and sealant is not going to present too much resistance.

As well as a (small) chance of cracking the screen make sure the C pillar trim is removed and the wires for the heated window (which pass through the seal) detached and left hanging free so there is some chance that it will still work when replaced.

Bill
Old 4th October 2011, 03:48 PM
Aristocrat

Rust that impinges on the glass will swell up and has the potential to crack the glass. I have actually seen that happen.

A leak will happen at the point of the rust anyway.

The sooner you get it fixed, the better.
Old 5th October 2011, 03:39 AM
The Godfather

Hi Mr. Kozzy, removal of the rear screen should be quite straight forward - the guy will simply slice the outer lip of the rubber. As WGB indicates, you should remove the 'C' pillar trim which, in turn, requires removal of the rear seat. That in turn will require removal of the trim panel situated internally at the bottom of the screen. Access to the plastic nuts (9mm size) is gained from inside the boot. So, there is a bit of stuff that needs to be removed to facilitate refitting of the screen and new rubber.

Also, make sure that you have some clips on hand that retain the alloy strips to the screen surround. Generally speaking, the old ones will be badly rusted. There are two types of clips, and you will need to purchase those from your dealer. Removal and replacement of the trim strips - be careful with those, as they can be stubborn, and once you bend them or misshape them, that will be the end of a neat fit. To summarize, a job that will take some time, patience and know-how. I can also add the following - whilst you're at it, what condition is the rear parcel shelf in ? Now would be the time for replacement if it has gone powdery, and if you were to have a new one made up, it is just so much easier to re-install the radio speakers. All in all,and I hate to say this or be pessimistic, it's not a nice job. Good luck with it. Regards Styria
Old 5th October 2011, 12:24 PM
Connoisseur

I managed to crack the rear screen of the parts 450 while trying to remove it. The front came out nicely on the other hand. While the seals on both were not great, they didn't appear to be original, and the warm day + extra gooey stuff that had been smeared on to the seal made things quite sticky.

Can't see a pro having too many issues with it - second the other's suggestions re removing all the applicable interior and exterior trim first. The vinyl-covered bit of the inside trim that houses the rear cabin light will probably also need to come out - it slides towards the front of the car, held in by clips only. That in turn may require / be made easier by removing the side trims above the doors - take off the sun visors and grab handles first. Roof lining is attached to the sunroof tray, so won't fall down - dunno what the deal is if there is no sunroof, but I'd guess something similar.
Old 5th October 2011, 02:38 PM
Never finished

Smile Re: Rear windscreen glass removal - Any tips?

I'm appreciating the tips from everyone. I'm going to make a copy and give it to the window guy to read, BEFORE he attempts removal.
Thanks to everyone for putting in. I've learnt heeps!
Old 27th October 2011, 02:53 PM
Never finished

Smile Re: Rear windscreen glass removal - Any tips?

Good news.
The rear window is out and "in tact".
Repairer has made a start and located the problems. The main one is the rear window rust spot just under the chrome trim. Paint was bubbling and it was awful to look at.
The picture ttached shows the area of the rust spot which has been taken back to metal. From here the repairer will cut out a 150mm square section and replace, so as to totally vanish the rust forever. I didn't want it filled with filler, so I am eager to see the finish with the new section welded in.

Last edited by mrkozzy; 23rd November 2011 at 06:18 AM.
Old 27th October 2011, 03:37 PM
Prodigal Son

Great job Mrkozzy keep it up
Old 16th November 2011, 12:45 PM
Never finished

Well the job is done and the car has been returned minus those annoying rust spots.
I am happy with the result, and altho the car isn't finished, it's good to know my rust problem is yesterdays news.
I have attached a photo for anyone who's interested. The back window came out without breaking, thankfully and I had a new rubber seal installed at the same time. The front bonnet looks the part and the 2 small rust spots in the doors have come u a treat.
The budget didn't stretch to a "proper" paint job, so the finish you are seeing is "colored undercoat". I am about to have the car waxed to protect it in the meantime, and it'll go back under cover till the next "working bee".
I hope next year to be able to get the re-spray I am looking for.
I must admit, it doesn't look half bad tho!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Before & After petrol filler area.jpg (73.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Before & After Bonnet repair.jpg (102.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg More rust spots that were removed.jpg (67.2 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by mrkozzy; 23rd November 2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old 16th November 2011, 12:58 PM
Noble

What an improvement mrkozzy keep us posted with the progress.
Old 16th November 2011, 01:29 PM
Aristocrat

mmmmmm.........Fanta

such a lovely colour.

one of the best 70s Benz colours IMO
Old 18th November 2011, 06:49 AM
Aristocrat

So mrK, care to enlighten us on who did the repairs?? Very nice result BTW... Good to see it was repaired properly and not patched up like so many others (only to come back with vengence later). You must feel relieved that you don't have to worry about the problem anymore?

01 Ford AU 5L (Deep Blue)
88 420L Euro#-P
88 420L#-P
88 420L#2477-P
87 560L#2020 (Dora 2)
87 560L #9987
87 420L#4309-P
87 420L#-P
86 560L#5896-P
79 6.9#5541 (Red Bull)
78 6.9#4248 (Skye)
79 6.9#3686 (Moby Dick)