Topklasse Discussion Board  
Home Forum Legal/Privacy Media/Picture Gallery Websites and Links Technical

Go Back   Topklasse Discussion Board > THE EXPERIENCE - DRIVING PLEASURE > MERCEDES W107

MERCEDES W107 Discussion specific to the W107 model

Old 2nd April 2009, 10:38 AM
Aficionado

Default Hard top squeaks & rattles

I'm in need of some suggestions from fellow posters...

The hardtop rarely comes off my 380SL, preferring it remain a coupe. That is, unless I have an extra set of willing hands & some protected space in the backyard to dump said hardtop.

During a moment of weakness a few weeks ago - to pacify a friend who was running around like a toddler excited at the prospect of a visit by Santa Claus - the roof came off for a drive to Daylesford, north west of Melbourne.

Anyway, back to the story - since replacing the hardtop, the damn thing squeaks & rattles over every bump & irregularity in the road. Don't even get me started about turning into a steep driveway...

I've checked the four lock points & they are all fastened securely.

Has anybody else experienced rattles like these before & if so, how were they remedied? My current medicine is to increase the radio volume, but that's just giving me headaches...
Any guidance would be appreciated!
Old 2nd April 2009, 02:53 PM
Aficionado

Default Re: Hard top squeaks & rattles

Is it just squeaking, or is it more of a clunking sound? On my Dad's 380SL, the pin in the centre at the rear was not being held down tight enough allowing some movement. It may require some adjustment.

Tim
Old 2nd April 2009, 04:07 PM
Aristocrat

I have only driven one SL, it was an under powered white 280SL, the "lid" was rattling and I pulled over, you could see the gaps where the lid had been fitted quite poorly. They seem to flex quite easily with the 2 minute attempt I had at fixing it.

I would say check this, check the spaces between the panels that there is indeed an even fit.

Who could honestly be bothered with mucking around fitting it and taking it off again is beyond me.

If you want a convertible leave it off completely or use the soft top.
Old 2nd April 2009, 09:30 PM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
If you want a convertible leave it off completely or use the soft top.
Couldn't agree more. The soft top was knifed a while ago. New soft top fitted at exhorbitant expense, hence the reticence to go topless. Soft top rarely used as a result... besides, it lets in too much wind roar & am not overly keen on looking through a plastic rear screen... I'm the kind of guy that's more suited to a R129 SL500 instead, methinks - but can't give up the acres of walnut & chrome at this point in time...

It's a squeaking, body flexing kind of rattle, as if the roof is sitting seperately from the body over lower speed bumps like speed humps, driveway kerbs, bluestones etc...
The centre anchor hook in the centre of the base of the rear screen was been adjusted recently, but there was no sound issue between the time of repair & the hardtop roof being removed & replaced...

If I wasn't so anal-retentive, I probably care - let alone hear it - but it is driving me nuts... literally, to the point of driving either of the other cars to avoid it!!!
Old 13th April 2009, 11:11 PM
Aficionado

OK - so I took full advantage of Melbourne's great weather this weekend, took the roof off the SL & went down to Portsea for a weekend away with friends.
The hardtop has been fitted once again after cleaning the dust & grit off the top of the windscreen & the base of the hardtop.
Close to 100km home & she's still good as gold.
Old 14th April 2009, 04:06 AM
The Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450SE View Post
OK - so I took full advantage of Melbourne's great weather this weekend, took the roof off the SL & went down to Portsea for a weekend away with friends.
The hardtop has been fitted once again after cleaning the dust & grit off the top of the windscreen & the base of the hardtop.
Close to 100km home & she's still good as gold.
Hi 450SE, did you ever work out where the squeaks and rattles came from ? Am I correct in assuming that all is sweet now ?

I have only ever driven one 380SLC, as well as an 380SL with the soft top in the open position, so consequently I was in no position to advise you. Anyway, if so, I am glad it's all fixed now. Regards Styria
Old 14th April 2009, 02:28 PM
Aficionado

Hi Styria,
After the 100km drive home, using the scenic routes, often doubling back on myself in a deliberate loop & not one rattle or squeak - even when turning into and driving along the bluestone laneway at the rear of my house!
I've got a feeling that it was a combination of dust & muck between the bodywork & the underside of the hardtop & perhaps the hardtop not being positioned properly at the prior refitting.

Finally, after a truly enjoyable weekend with the roof off the SL, I may have created a monster within myself & may now remove the hardtop at every practicable occurance.
Old 15th April 2009, 06:23 AM
The Godfather

Hi 450SE, when I drove the 380SL which incidentally belonged to a good friend, it was with the top down. It was rather strange driving like that. It was a fairly warm day, and going along, I am thinking "wow, this is just great - you wouldn't bother driving any other way", yet I seemed to be so conscious of thinking (and they probably did) that everyone in the other cars were looking at us. It's like a "naked" feeling - don't laugh - but you got nothing on, and got nowhere to hide.

But, it gives you that feeling of freedom - almost like riding a Motor Bike. Regards Styria