Topklasse Discussion Board  
Home Forum Legal/Privacy Media/Picture Gallery Websites and Links Technical

Go Back   Topklasse Discussion Board > THE EXPERIENCE - DRIVING PLEASURE > TALKING TORQUE

TALKING TORQUE Feel free to discuss your Driving Experience in all other models as well!

Old 27th September 2008, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Default Injection pump replacement.

Just before the M100 rally the fuel injection pump on my 6.3 started to leak internally and overfill the govenor part of the pump, this results in rich running and oil running out of the pump filler tube into the valley of the engine and then onto the driveway or the hot exhaust when you plant your foot. I cured the symptom for the rally by running a oil bypass line from the injection line filler tube to the dipstick tube, needless to say that got me through the rally but it was time to fix it properly.
I decided to install the spare pump I bought from a M100 club member many months ago so today removed the existing pump, it wasn't that hard really, no that is a lie it was bordering on self harm but worth it

Some pics

Left inlet manifold, injectors and injection lines. the parts in the bottom of the box are the throttle linkage

The empty valley

Old pump

New pump ready for install

This is all the fastners I had to remove to get this far, it is unbelievable how well designed these cars are.

#2723 6.3
#8659 3.5
W208 CLK430

Last edited by abl567; 27th September 2008 at 03:55 PM.
Old 27th September 2008, 05:25 PM
One Of The Boys

Default Re: Injection pump replacement.

great photography so far..
any more pics coming up?

1978 W116 690SEL # 3312
1985 R107 500SL AMG
2000 W208 CLK430 Coupe
2003 W163 ML320
Old 28th September 2008, 01:47 PM
Aficionado

I dont envy you Anthony, its a mongrel of a job Ive seen styria do it numerous times
Old 28th September 2008, 04:15 PM
Aristocrat

So when I buy my 6.3 I'm looking for one with a new Injector pump as well as a new water pump

Thanks for the photo's I forget that the 6.3 had a mechanical injection pump.

The normal injection pumps for Diesels can be rebuilt - does that apply to the 6.3 one as well?

Bill
Old 28th September 2008, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGB View Post
So when I buy my 6.3 I'm looking for one with a new Injector pump as well as a new water pump

Thanks for the photo's I forget that the 6.3 had a mechanical injection pump.

The normal injection pumps for Diesels can be rebuilt - does that apply to the 6.3 one as well?

Bill
Yes Bill the pumps can be rebuilt, Neil Dubey of Star Motors has insisted he will provide me with rebuilt pump rather than use a local rebuilder, I have the old pump almost ready to crate up and send to Neil.

In the mean time I'll install the spare pump shown and see how it runs, I've sealed up all the gaskets on the spare pump and now need to make some paper gaskets for where the pump bolts to the block.
#2723 6.3
#8659 3.5
W208 CLK430
Old 28th September 2008, 05:12 PM
Aristocrat

Thanks for that.

I think there is room for another car in a couple of years and the 6.3 is one on the short list of possibles.

I guess the 6.9 K-jet in good working order is about as simple as you can get so anything else is going to hurt a bit more to fix.

Bill
Old 29th September 2008, 04:51 AM
The Godfather

Hi Anthony, from what I seem to recall, the pump you are about to despatch to the States was, in fact, reconditioned by Star Motors.

As you know from records that you have, your car has recorded a low mileage only, and it seems somewhat unusual that the pump and, for that matter, any other engine or headwork needs to be undertaken.

Then again, as you would be aware, your car has had a pretty 'bumpy' ride, so God only knows what has transpired in the last four to five years.

You did very well removing the pump that quickly - three hours I believe. I am just trying to figure out now how you managed to get sections of the pump past the inlet manifold on the right hand side. Anyway, whichever, a sterling job considering your garaging facilities and the sheer weight of manhandling the pump. Keep us posted and informed as to how you get on. Regards Styria
Old 29th September 2008, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Styria, I'm sure you have heard of the garages kill theory when it comes to 6.3's, they need to be driven or they deteriate rapidly. I've noticed on the old pump that 3 of the 8 injector elements are discoloured where the injector line fits to the pump and the fuel return line is also discoloured. This I believe indicates the seals at the bottom of these pump elements have failed allowing oil to mix with the fuel and overfilling the pump govenor. It may also explain the symptoms that indicate faulty valve seals, if the fuel charge to 3 cylinders is oil laden it makes sense to me the engine would show oil burning on the overrun as the pump has little call for fuel but the oil is still entering the element under pressure. It may be wishfull thinking but I'll see what happens when I get the new pump in.
You are so right about manhandling the pump, they are heavy buggers, It seems to work on a 6.3 you need to be skinny and weedy but with weightlifter strength, still working on the latter...
#2723 6.3
#8659 3.5
W208 CLK430