Topklasse Discussion Board  
Home Forum Legal/Privacy Media/Picture Gallery Websites and Links Technical

Go Back   Topklasse Discussion Board > THE EXPERIENCE - DRIVING PLEASURE > ARTICLES

ARTICLES Articles related to our beloved cars

Old 23rd August 2019, 11:17 PM
Aristocrat

Default Re: Mercedes fined for Diesel gate

Bryce: I read all of that report carefully, and I agree with all of it.
There is nothing fundamentally basic in what I wrote, and what I have read in your linked report, that is in disagreement.

I think that the 737 MAX is an excellent aircraft, and I appreciate why MCAS had to be part of the basic design of the aircraft.
This report sheds a lot more light that I did on the flawed certification politics between Boeing and the FAA. Very obviously this issue is now currently in review.

It is easy to understand why MCAS was, and is necessary for the 737 MAX to fly to all of a pilot's normal expectations. That is why MCAS 2 will be incorporated, in existing aircraft, and why the landing gear and wing re design and rebuild will never happen.

I am perfectly confident that the 737 MAX with MCAS 2 will be as safe as previous generations of 737's, of which their safety record is excellent.

I would expect that all pilots that will fly the 737 MAX with MCAS 2 will have to be certified for it. Most airlines on Boeing advice, did not see pilot familiarity with MCAS (1) as a high priority. Only about half of them had been trained. As a 'belts and braces' policy, that will very obviously change.
Old 24th August 2019, 07:45 AM
Connoisseur

Gents,
Any more on diesel gate?
Old 24th August 2019, 10:48 AM
Aristocrat

The issues surrounding 'diesel gate' are not immediately life threatening as with a plane crash.
In the case of 'diesel gate' there seems to be more of a pre meditated attempt to find an easy, and more morally corrupt way of finding the way around the air pollution rules. Hence the huge fines. The problem of air particulates can lead to health problems for us all. Potentially, the air particulate problem can lead to an earlier death for anyone exposed to them.

In both cases taking the easy way around the particular problem can lead to legally questionable policies of solving those problems.

Morally, at some stage in all of our lives we have all been personally responsible for taking the easy out. I guess that is part of the nature of the human condition.