Topklasse Discussion Board  
Home Forum Legal/Privacy Media/Picture Gallery Websites and Links Technical

Go Back   Topklasse Discussion Board > THE EXPERIENCE - DRIVING PLEASURE > MOTORSPORTS

MOTORSPORTS Motokhanas, circuit, drag, drift & rally - if its a Mercedes classic and it's competitive we want to know about it!

Old 21st September 2008, 02:23 PM
Aristocrat

Default SELfor50

spotted this, looks like Cam?

http://autoclerks.com/2008/05/the-24...mons-altamont/
Old 21st September 2008, 03:08 PM
Aristocrat

Default Re: SELfor50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post

That's f*kn DOPE!!

Did you see the name of the racing team?? "Golden Shower"!! HAHAHAAAAAAA....

Now that's the sort of weight reduction i need! Good find des.

Where is this race?? @ Le Mons?

1978 W116 - 450 SEL - Finally locked
1979 W116 - 450 SE 6.9 - New Ticker
Old 21st September 2008, 04:33 PM
Aristocrat

This gives me some ideas for my own paint sceme for my race car

Old 21st September 2008, 06:29 PM
Connoisseur

Just realised that yellow thing is a w123?? What's the engine though?

What's the race? It looks like a cross between a kidney car rally and a 24 hour smash up derby.
1974 280se "canary yellow" now in pieces
1977 280se milan brown wrecking
Old 21st September 2008, 06:48 PM
Aristocrat

Yep its a W123, or what's left of one,

engine is hard to tell, looks fairly long so probably a 280E, M110 or maybe one of those M103 or whatever they are called, the 230E type engine, found in the later W124's as well.

Would be fun to have a race like that with other TK members, everyone buys a Benz $500 or less and race till you can't race no more, crash and smash other cars off the track!
Old 21st September 2008, 07:43 PM
Aristocrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
Yep its a W123, or what's left of one,

engine is hard to tell, looks fairly long so probably a 280E, M110 or maybe one of those M103 or whatever they are called, the 230E type engine, found in the later W124's as well.

Would be fun to have a race like that with other TK members, everyone buys a Benz $500 or less and race till you can't race no more, crash and smash other cars off the track!

You're on to something... only thing is, the race would go FOREVER!!! With such 'safe' cars, they'd never get smashed.. The engines would never break down, cause they're so reliable..

Maybe, a crash & smash with Mercedes VS Holden or something??

I agree on the paint scheme too, saw the luftwaffe car and thought...

1978 W116 - 450 SEL - Finally locked
1979 W116 - 450 SE 6.9 - New Ticker
Old 21st September 2008, 07:52 PM
Aristocrat

Could be right there, might have to use cars everyone hates.......BMW's
Old 21st September 2008, 11:11 PM
One Of The Boys

I love the weight reduction....

However, I don't think CAMS will pass it, except for smash up derby.... and still, they would have reservations

1978 W116 690SEL # 3312
1985 R107 500SL AMG
2000 W208 CLK430 Coupe
2003 W163 ML320
Old 23rd September 2008, 07:32 AM
The Godfather

Well guys, this thread reminds me of a Stock Car meeting I went to during my recent trip to Austria and Germany. Unfortunately, I did not have my trusty Olympus with me at the time.

It was a meet in the middle of , you guessed right again, nowhere. The track was constructed on the day in one of the famer's paddocks and the racing was wild and woollie. The string of overturned cars was endless, the racing was fierce, and if anyone lost any of their car's tires, that was no problem - you just kept going flat out and if you were too slow for your fellow racers-no problem, you just got shunted out of the way.

As per usual, I had to mosy around the pit area to look at what was on offer.Stumbled across at least three or four cars with Audi V8 engines, and all rear engined cars (some home built) had Hanomag transaxles fitted to the back of the motors. I also spotted a car with a Rover V8 engine, and I tried to talk to the owner about mods to the engine. Unfortunately, his dialect and my lack of German technical terms could not find a common ground - I thought that he told me that modifying the SU carbie slides gave him oodles of extra power. I'll never know. In the feature race, he stopped after 100 metres with a dead engine.

There was also another vehicle fitted with a 560 engine and the aforementioned transaxle. Never got a chance to talk to the owner, but in the feature, after initially tussling for the lead but slowly and surely dropping back little by little, he blew his engine in a big way after about six laps. Regards Styria

Last edited by Styria; 23rd September 2008 at 07:34 AM.
Old 26th September 2008, 12:01 AM
One Of The Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styria View Post
Well guys, this thread reminds me of a Stock Car meeting I went to during my recent trip to Austria and Germany. Unfortunately, I did not have my trusty Olympus with me at the time.

It was a meet in the middle of , you guessed right again, nowhere. The track was constructed on the day in one of the famer's paddocks and the racing was wild and woollie. The string of overturned cars was endless, the racing was fierce, and if anyone lost any of their car's tires, that was no problem - you just kept going flat out and if you were too slow for your fellow racers-no problem, you just got shunted out of the way.

As per usual, I had to mosy around the pit area to look at what was on offer.Stumbled across at least three or four cars with Audi V8 engines, and all rear engined cars (some home built) had Hanomag transaxles fitted to the back of the motors. I also spotted a car with a Rover V8 engine, and I tried to talk to the owner about mods to the engine. Unfortunately, his dialect and my lack of German technical terms could not find a common ground - I thought that he told me that modifying the SU carbie slides gave him oodles of extra power. I'll never know. In the feature race, he stopped after 100 metres with a dead engine.

There was also another vehicle fitted with a 560 engine and the aforementioned transaxle. Never got a chance to talk to the owner, but in the feature, after initially tussling for the lead but slowly and surely dropping back little by little, he blew his engine in a big way after about six laps. Regards Styria
I remember watching many demolition derbies when I was in the US....
It was one of my favourite 'watching' sports on Friday and Saturday nights

1978 W116 690SEL # 3312
1985 R107 500SL AMG
2000 W208 CLK430 Coupe
2003 W163 ML320