Topklasse Discussion Board  
Home Forum Legal/Privacy Media/Picture Gallery Websites and Links Technical

Go Back   Topklasse Discussion Board > THE CRAFTSMAN - TECHNICAL DEPARTMENT > MECHANICALS

MECHANICALS With a 30 year-old automobile, there will always be discussion here - maintenance, modifications and mechanicals.

Old 7th May 2020, 01:34 PM
Respectable

Default fuel leak problem.

Having found a leak at the fuel pump yesterday on my 1975 W116 450SEL. I replaced the siphon hose to accumulator and the 50 mm piece from the accumulator to the pump which seemed to be the culprits as they look to be original hoses and were badly perished with the siphon hose snapping when trying to remove it.
When I checked this morning yahoo no leak,started the car and oops leaking from the lower power terminal to the pump. The other hoses are recently replaced and dry. Is the pump cactus? Does the fuel pump from my S123 280TE work as a temporary measure and where can I get a fuel pump if not?
Also I have a new fuel filter that suits 1976 116 and up including the W123 but looks the same as the one installed and was in the car when I acquired it. Would it be ok to use?
Pete
Old 7th May 2020, 02:18 PM
Aristocrat

Default Re: fuel leak problem.

It is pretty common for fuel pumps to fail due to leaks. I think if you have an original D-Jet pump there is an o-ring you can re-seal. Mercedessource had a video.

The 78 car is K-Jet so should have a different pump. I think the D-jet pumps are either silly money or unavailable so people look for alternatives.