Topklasse Discussion Board  
Home Forum Legal/Privacy Media/Picture Gallery Websites and Links Technical

Go Back   Topklasse Discussion Board > ADVENTURE AND TRAVEL > SNIPPETS, ODDITIES AND TRAVEL

SNIPPETS, ODDITIES AND TRAVEL Share your holiday and travel experiences here - whether it be to another town or to another country, or unusual items of interest.

Old 28th October 2016, 03:04 PM
Aristocrat

Angry Speeding ticket

Very surprised today to receive a speeding notice which was over a month old and demanding immediate payment.
Fine was by a camera on the on the ramp to the M4 92 in an 80 zone.
A camera on an on ramp ! where we accelerate to join motorway traffic travelling at speed. Bare faced revenue raising!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 28th October 2016, 08:17 PM
The Prince of Arabia

Default Re: Speeding ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sherry View Post
Very surprised today to receive a speeding notice which was over a month old and demanding immediate payment.
Fine was by a camera on the on the ramp to the M4 92 in an 80 zone.
A camera on an on ramp ! where we accelerate to join motorway traffic travelling at speed. Bare faced revenue raising!!!!!!!!!!!
Most of the camera speeding fines are revenue raising...

1978 W116 690SEL # 3312
1985 R107 500SL AMG
2000 C208 CLK430
Old 29th October 2016, 06:20 AM
Noble

I think this is very mean of the RMS - and I'll bet it was a private contractor; the sort that has an unmarked van and then further along on the road, a small notice, which incidentally Duncan Gay promised would not be the case. I know it is the case as I saw one last week in Penrith as I was running late for a funeral.....
Unfortunately, a speeding fine is a case of strict liability; that is, there is no room for argument. You can try writing to the RMS and pleading for mercy as you have a clean driving record and arguing that you had to speed to match your speed with the traffic you were joining - and you may be lucky to receive a remission.
The whole issue defies logic. Strictly you must travel at 80 KPH while on the on-ramp and can only increase speed to 100 or 120 KPH when actually on the motorway. That is, you have to join a stream of traffic travelling at 110 KPH while being allowed to travel at 80 KPH and do so while avoiding an accident. The person (or committee of bureaucratic morons) who made this decision clearly has little understanding of the laws of displacement.
I'm very sorry to hear you have speeding fine Sean - it's a mean thing I know as I seriously doubt you are a threat to public safety. Oh, revenue raising? Quite correct Michel; quite correct.
Regards,
Brian
Old 29th October 2016, 08:34 AM
Aristocrat

Thumbs down Re: Speeding ticket

Well I smile as I go under from.... ( sticker on the back of a flat bed truck )
I now just see it as part of the State Tax system.. just trying to beat as much money from the Public as they can.
Old 15th November 2016, 01:16 AM
The Godfather

This reply to Sean is not politically motivated, and I need to be careful in quoting figures without having actual recourse to exact data - I am speaking purely from memory. When the Labor Party was in power in NSW, their performance and level of satisfaction was abysmal. All the while, the opposition in the form of the Liberal Party claimed, and was going to be the saviour. They were going to reduce the number of speeding cameras etc. etc. and, of course, NSW was going to be liberated from the claws of greedy and constantly rising Government charges.

The last few months have witnessed an unprecedented decline in popularity by a Government that had been riding the crest of that popularity. All of a sudden, decisions are made without regard or consideration of fairness to the people of this state and just simply riding roughshod without proper consideration of the consequences that may ensue from their actions. It's all in the interest of financial pursuit or, for that matter, to satisfy the demands of the "leftist" lobby and minority interests. The minister in charge of the RMS gives the impression of being that slow, soft talking country cousin, but he is responsible for the purchase and installation of many more Speed Cameras, the introduction of the Greyhound Racing Ban into Parliament, the re-introduction of the M4 road toll in due course, and when questioned in relation to the later, he replied in essence along the lines "that if you didn't want to pay the toll, there was an alternative in the form of Parramatta Road" - it's very obvious that he is not in tune with thousands of road users. It's all in the interest of saving lives - oh, how horrible, this year's road toll has risen by about twenty compared with last year's figure - about 350 - take or leave about a dozen either way. Yet I remember, maybe twenty five or thirty years ago, the yearly road toll had risen to just on a thousand for the year and, of course, every one was up in arms over that. Compare that situation with the number of cars on the road nowadays........yep, as Benz Boy quite correctly states, it's all in the name of Revenue.

Is it any wonder that the greater share of the population has a gut full of Government of Political Parties irrespective of denomination - witness the re-emergence of Independents and minor parties, the Trump phenomenon, Brexit in England, city of Orange by-election, Angela Merkel's fall from grace etc. etc. Yes, the wheels are turning ever so slowly. Regards. Styria

N.B. Sean, pay your fine and count your lucky blessings - next year, the fine might be increased by whatever percentage.
Old 15th November 2016, 06:02 AM
Aristocrat

Talking Re: Speeding ticket

Yes Michael,
I paid the fine and also a parking fine in Noosa. All part of the Tax system.
At least we don't have State and federal Tax on everything as in the USA.
Also Property Tax in New York bring tears to your eyes. ( from my USA Cousin ) she pays $22,000/year for a modest 2 bedroom House in New Hyde Park on Long Island.
Governments raise money any way they can to meet the demands of the electorate. With speeding tickets we have little recourse here,their word against ours. I recall, when I lived in the States, that the police had to have photographic evidence to support their case. Today I'm not sure if this is still the case.
Old 15th November 2016, 06:52 AM
Aristocrat

In the states, per their consitution you have the right to face your accusor in trial. Therefore speeding tickets are easily contestable as the cop needs to show up to court and often they cant make it. If they don't it gets dismissed.

Also, the city will also plea bargain you down to a lessor offence with a larger fine. E.g. improper operation of a motor vehicle which is like a parking ticket. The problem comes if you get an out of state ticket as you would need to return to that state to contest. Most don't so state troopers are much more likely to pull over cars with out of state plates.

Radar detectors are also legal, although police are more likely to give you a ticket if they see it.

Some states have cameras but many do not. Certainly camera states are in the minority.

I got out of three while living there.
Old 15th November 2016, 01:27 PM
Aristocrat

Smile Re: Speeding ticket

In the early sixties ,when I lived for a number of years in N Y , I never got a ticket of any kind, ditto with 6 months in L A in the seventies.
I guess more good luck than good judgement !
Every time I drive in Queensland I come back somewhat poorer.
Old 15th November 2016, 09:41 PM
The Prince of Arabia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sherry View Post
Every time I drive in Queensland I come back somewhat poorer.
Try Victoria, i got pinned for doing 62 in a 60 zone with the cruise control on 60!

1978 W116 690SEL # 3312
1985 R107 500SL AMG
2000 C208 CLK430
Old 16th November 2016, 04:16 PM
The Godfather

Michel, I am a little surprised that you would use cruise control at such low speeds - I would have thought 80 kms. as a minimum. Regards. Styria
Old 16th November 2016, 06:02 PM
The Prince of Arabia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styria View Post
Michel, I am a little surprised that you would use cruise control at such low speeds - I would have thought 80 kms. as a minimum. Regards. Styria
Depends what the speed limit is Godfather...

1978 W116 690SEL # 3312
1985 R107 500SL AMG
2000 C208 CLK430
Old 17th November 2016, 09:23 PM
Aristocrat

I have to watch myself with my current car.

I had to drive it fairly fast (I have told some people HOW fast), to try to track down a vibration problem.
I think I have finally found the problem: An out of round rear tyre (rims are OK).