Topklasse Discussion Board  
Home Forum Legal/Privacy Media/Picture Gallery Websites and Links Technical

Go Back   Topklasse Discussion Board > THE EXPERIENCE - DRIVING PLEASURE > TALKING TORQUE

TALKING TORQUE Feel free to discuss your Driving Experience in all other models as well!

Old 28th June 2019, 03:29 PM
Noble

Default Re: The Rover P5/P5B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styria View Post
Hi Brian, I wish you'd call it by its appropriate model designation, i.e. P5B 3.5 litre. It's perhaps an anomaly, but it would save any possible misunderstanding by those that are not familiar with the cars. There is no such model as a P5 3500. Best Regards, Styria

......and I will elaborate further on the P6 range in due course. I do have an opinion as well, having owned various 3500/3500S/2000SC/2000TC and 2200 Automatic with, for that car, the excellent BW35 transmission.
Dear Michael, we all make errors! I'm in transit so you will have to berate me at another time.
Designation is always tricky; it is Shadow and Shadow II but between friends does it really matter?
Regards,
Brian
Old 28th June 2019, 04:31 PM
Aristocrat

Smile Re: The Rover P5/P5B

Yes Michael, the Shadows 1 and 2 did corner on their Door Handles..... but there was a kit available from the U. K., Springs and Shocks, that made them stay upright. And with a Transmission Vacuum Modulator from a Pontiac they also drove much better... clean precise upshifts.
Old 1st July 2019, 02:47 PM
Distinguished

Hello Styria.
I have two new old stock rear shock absorbers I bought and never fitted for the P5 Rover.
I will include some photos. They are yours if you want them.
Kind regards Jimb.

Old 1st July 2019, 03:52 PM
Prodigal Son

New and Free are Styria favourite things
Memnoch #1873 6.9 255.6 RWHP
The Kommando believed only 1 in Oz
Old 2nd July 2019, 10:18 PM
Aristocrat

This P5 MKIII Coupe is in lovely condition. For sale on the rover club homepage. Asking price $32,000

https://www.roverownersclub.com.au/classifieds/

Old 6th July 2019, 04:57 PM
The Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by motec 6.9 View Post
New and Free are Styria favourite things
Hi Geoff, compliment or snipe ? Perhaps you can tell me. Regards Styria
Old 6th July 2019, 05:15 PM
The Godfather

Not only have I seen this car at one of the All British Days at the Kings School, but its owner was quite willing to let me photograph some of its more salient features. There is no way that one could really criticize any aspect of the car - it is beautifully kept and in A1 condition bodywise.

There is only one aspect that would stop me from buying the car - it is a Mark III with the dreadful BW35 transmission that just cannot handle the weight of the car. Additionally, and whatever it is, it is not a touring car for the open road. The reason ? An absolute slug, cannot get out of its own way, and being a Mark III, you would be lucky to get 18mpg on the open road. It is a totally frustrating model. Nowhere near the same as Mark IIs, especially with a four speed manual with overdrive box. Regards Styria

Quote:
Originally Posted by c107 View Post
This P5 MKIII Coupe is in lovely condition. For sale on the rover club homepage. Asking price $32,000.

https://www.roverownersclub.com.au/classifieds/

Last edited by c107; 6th July 2019 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11th July 2019, 08:33 AM
Aristocrat

Thumbs down Re: The Rover P5/P5B

The fault is Rovers in fitting the cheap over stressed BW 35. The original design was American for 2.5 litre engines in much lighter Bodies.. The American versions were much more robust than the UK and Australian productions. Heavier Gear Sets to handle the Torque. The non American built units also had fragile case hardening. They were ok in Hillmans , Cortina 4 Cyl etc. Behind a V8 and 4 litre Jags .. fraud could be used to describe this choice.
Old 11th July 2019, 09:30 AM
Aristocrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sherry View Post
The fault is Rovers in fitting the cheap over stressed BW 35. The original design was American for 2.5 litre engines in much lighter Bodies.. The American versions were much more robust than the UK and Australian productions. Heavier Gear Sets to handle the Torque. The non American built units also had fragile case hardening. They were ok in Hillmans , Cortina 4 Cyl etc. Behind a V8 and 4 litre Jags .. fraud could be used to describe this choice.
Interestingly even Jaguar had their limits. During the development of the 420, they decided that the BW35, which they had recently placed behind the 3.8 liter in the S-Type and MKII instead of the DG was not robust enough for the 4.2 liter engine and so they went with the BW8. I understand the BW8 is stronger.

Jaguar lied about the power outputs of their engines, but the 4.2 as found in the 420 is probably only slightly more powerful than the 3.5 v8 in the Rover.

We know the S3 XJ6 4.2 with bigger valves and electronic fuel injection was rated about 200hp net HP. My guess is the version in the 420 was more like 170-175.