Topklasse Discussion Board  
Home Forum Legal/Privacy Media/Picture Gallery Websites and Links Technical

Go Back   Topklasse Discussion Board > THE EXPERIENCE - DRIVING PLEASURE > ARTICLES

ARTICLES Articles related to our beloved cars

Old 27th November 2019, 11:01 AM
The Prince of Arabia

Default Re: used car trade in values

Quote:
Originally Posted by c107 View Post
The M110 R/C107 was launched based on the fuel crisis of the early 70s. Introduced in 1974. The funny thing is that it wasn't really more economical, the advantage was the handling, and more of them were sold with a manual transmission.

We only got them officially here in australia for a few years.
A well known MB Club of NSW member has just purchased a lovely (taxi) yellow 280SL with manual transmission in LHD form.

1978 W116 690SEL # 3312
1985 R107 500SL AMG
2000 C208 CLK430
Old 27th November 2019, 06:20 PM
Aristocrat

Talking Re: used car trade in values

I was keen on the new Ford Focus until I tested the VW 7.5 currant VW Golf today. A class act from the reverse Camera forward. Now drives beautifully with the upgraded 7 speed Dry Clutch Twin Clutch Auto. I was going to wait for the new Mk 8 ,but I can't see how it will be an improvement on the present Car. Cosmetics.. yes.. a new 1.5 Lt Engine with no increase in Power from the currant 1.4 Lt. The 1.4 has proved itself over many years. My previous two Golfs were bullet proof with not a single warranty issue . Both were 6 speed Manuals.
Australia will not be getting the new Engine anyway, as the petrol here is of a poor quality for a more modern European Engine. At $27 K on the road I don't need anything else. I will keep the C200 with 70,000Ks only. I have advertised the C250 with 82,000 Ks for $16,300 with full log Book Service Record and a years Registration.
Old 28th November 2019, 08:26 AM
Aristocrat

Img_0615 (2) ...... 280 sl 107 Now how do I open this ?
Old 29th November 2019, 10:38 AM
Aristocrat

Smile Re: used car trade in values

So much for the used Car Market, my C250 Avantgarde has a couple of dozen competitors on the net. some cheaper with low Ks If mine sells it sells ,if not .. not a problem. At least I will not drop 5 Grand driving the VW on to the street.
Old 29th November 2019, 12:35 PM
The Godfather

Sean, for some reasons or other, and I think it is the other, Mercedes Benzes, are not the star performer in the used car stakes. That also applies to Audi, Volvo and possibly the french brethren as well - whoa, I forgot Citroen and Fiat unless they are of the collectors' types. When you think about it, your common variety VW Beetle, or Mini or Morris Minor, will comfortably outsell any of the Benzes of the early eighties, late seventies etc. etc.

The problem has to be cost of spare parts, plus the cost of Mechanical Repairs, at the rate of at least $100.00 to $120.00 an hour. Regards Styria
Old 29th November 2019, 06:44 PM
Aristocrat

Hi Michael, three or four years ago I inquired with Mercedes main Dealer ,the factory owned Dealership Sydney, as to their Hourly rate...... $197 ! Over $ 200 now ? mostly probably $250. Second owners usually don't have the luxury of these rates being Tax Deductible , so Mercedes are not interested in owners after 5 years. Even VW have suffered with my 2.5 year old Golf with 19,000 ks valued at $12000 as a Trade In.. Half new cost. Privately I got $14,500 even though it had the balance of the Factory Warranty. I had only two inquiries , one was a tire kicker.
Old 1st December 2019, 08:30 AM
Aristocrat

Little wonder I have had not a single inquiry for My C Class 2011.. There are hundreds of Mercedes for sale on the Net. Fortunately it is a very good small kSs car and no hardship to just keep it, which i will do.
Old 4th December 2019, 07:52 AM
Aristocrat

Money is cheap.......... New cars are cheap..... Low interest rates are here to stay for our life time. Central banks have dug a big hole for themselves and are digging deeper. Used Car values will not recover in this environment.
Putting a false floor under Share prices and House prices. Our Grand Kids will have to sort it out.
Old 4th December 2019, 12:45 PM
Connoisseur

One of our competitors, DAF Trucks, are now offering zero% finance rates and a full 3 years free servicing on there top of the range heavy duty truck.

Thatís big money directly from the factory to local outlets.
Old 4th December 2019, 12:50 PM
Aristocrat

Smile Re: used car trade in values

Sign of the times Patrick. Australian Banks dropping ,dropping maybe some good Buys to be had whilst paying 6% plus with their Franking credits.
Old 4th December 2019, 01:06 PM
The Prince of Arabia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_R View Post
One of our competitors, DAF Trucks, are now offering zero% finance rates and a full 3 years free servicing on there top of the range heavy duty truck.

Thatís seriously desperate marketing!

1978 W116 690SEL # 3312
1985 R107 500SL AMG
2000 C208 CLK430
Old 4th December 2019, 06:27 PM
Aristocrat

Question Re: used car trade in values

Daf of the Car rubber band transmissions... where they not bought out by Volvo ? Or was it Mercedes who also own some of the large American Truck Manufacturers.
I read once that Mercedes Cars were only a side line for them especially Petrol engined ?? Trucks was their big money earners.
Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM
Aristocrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_R View Post

Is this basically the FCA problem?
i.e. FCA overproduce cars, especially in north america. Their factories are unprofitable at volumes of cars they can actually sell to real punters. So they make the cars anyway and push them out to dealers with insane offers, and to fleet buyers because they are not willing to reduce production. Dealers don't want the extra cars but must take them and struggle to move them, hence not only the big incentives, but even further discounts on now last years stock sold this year.
Old Yesterday, 05:14 PM
The Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzBoy View Post
What would I get for this 3 tonne lump of iron, wood, aluminium and cow that lurks at the end of the garage?

BenzBoy, I am not up to speed for values of this kind of car. BTW, is it yours, or are you the keeper. Looking at the car, I recognize that it is somewhat special, probably more so than a Silver Spirit, even including yours and as you know, I regard your car also as quite special. The car in question - I think it has to be worth $45K. to $80K., but let me have another look at it. Regards Styria

N.B. Yes, I don't think it is your Garden variety Cloud model, irrespective of series.
Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

Hint.
It's had a Corgi or two in the back
I wonder what Andrew had in the back?
#2723 6.3
W202 C240
W220 S500