Topklasse Discussion Board  
Home Forum Legal/Privacy Media/Picture Gallery Websites and Links Technical

Go Back   Topklasse Discussion Board > THE CRAFTSMAN - TECHNICAL DEPARTMENT > TECHNICAL INFORMATION

TECHNICAL INFORMATION How-to and detailed information on specific technical subjects

Old 28th June 2008, 03:05 AM
The Godfather

Default Re: Valve Grind & De-coke on 6.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzBoy View Post
Stop complaining Stryia.
Try $30,000 for a Phantom head.
Regards,
BenzBoy
Hi BenzBoy, I am not complaining . Well no, I am as there is no real rhyme nor reason at times for the prices that MB charge for parts on older cars, see 6.9's. Remember, we are not comparing apples with apples, i.e. Phantom v. 6.9. Look at the values between the two cars, also bear in mind I am just quoting for rings - never mind pistons, heads etc. etc.

It was just yesterday that I received delivery of the gasket that fits between the top flange of the water pump and the thermostat housing. Guess how much?...for just an ordinary gasket..absolutely nothing special..$A40.00 ! I just couldn't take it...at that price, I just had to send it back. I made the mistake of not checking the price before I ordered as I figured..well, if it's $4.00 don't worry. It was just as well that I checked the price of the exhaust manifold nuts - sixteen of them, at $A4.00 each ! Needless to say, I did not buy them.

So BenzBoy, sometimes it's hard not to complain - really, all I ever want and expect is a "fair go", whether that be parts or, indeed,value and quality for work done. Regards Styria

Last edited by Styria; 1st July 2008 at 02:12 AM.
Old 28th June 2008, 03:24 AM
The Godfather

Hi S-Class, Mercedes recommend that the static setting of the hydraulic lifters (valve lash compensating elements) be checked at 40K. intervals and that if the clearances do not fall between the limits applicable, different size shims are to be used.

If that is insufficient information for you, I will endeavour to scan some further details for you.

Incidentally, I have further news that I can convey, although at this stage:

1) I am ubable to supply pics as the battery of the camera had gone "kabunk", and

2) Photobucket did not allow me to choose a file for illustration purposes.

I have since re-logged and , at least, the last named problem has been rectified.

Anyway, you may recall the 'puff-puff' from the exhaust which primarily seemed to be prevalent only when idling - well, I have looked at the underside of the inlet manifold and the fuel chamber, and there are very obvious signs of petrol (brown and moist) leakage from the seal that connects the two halves. Picture to come.

Furthermore, I can also tell you that valve recession should never be a problem on 450's and 6.9's - there is ample automatic compensation provided by the hydraulic lifters. So, maybe the problem you have with your red AMG 6.9 could well be in the same area as I have referred to. Regards Styria
Old 28th June 2008, 04:21 AM
Connoisseur

Thanks styria,

I have read up on checking and replacing the shims in the 6.9 engine manual. It makes sense to me now. One wonders though, most likey most cars would never have had this done. How far out are things likely to be - in other words is this something us 6.9 owners should be concerned about, like replacing the chain to get the valve timing correct?
'74 W116 350SE euro - the stand-in ride
'82 W126 500SEL euro - full hydraulics - the limo
'83 FORD XR3 - the beast

0 benzes on stands, 5 RUNNING
Old 29th June 2008, 02:06 AM
The Godfather

This is the picture illustrating the discolourization process that is obviously evident on No. 6 cylinder.

..and this is a refurbished component to take its place....

and after removal of Water Pump and the Water Pump Housing, a bit of cleaning would not go astray...

Regards Styria - Oh BTW. I personally have my doubts if too many 6.9's have had the static setting of the lifters ever checked or adjusted - in comparison with the later model 116 (380 & 420) and 117 (560), 6.9's sound distinctly agricultural and even a low mileage 97k. version hardly sounded any different to the 375k. engine in Gleaming Beauty.
Old 29th June 2008, 02:30 AM
Connoisseur

Very nice looking parts. How close are you to refitting the new heads?
'74 W116 350SE euro - the stand-in ride
'82 W126 500SEL euro - full hydraulics - the limo
'83 FORD XR3 - the beast

0 benzes on stands, 5 RUNNING
Old 1st July 2008, 06:14 AM
The Godfather

Hi S-Class, present intentions are to commence the re-fitting of both heads either Thursday, Friday and/or Saturday/Sunday, depending on various commitments.

Presently, I have started to paint the Engine Bay in Petrol 877Met - Gleaming Beauty was on her second colour change some seven years ago, but the engine bay had remained the original Taxi (Elfenbein) White. I am using 2-pack applied by brush and I can't get a good finish. Some pics. to follow. I am hoping that spraying clear will improve matters to some extent.

It's not often that one gains fairly good access to certain parts of the Engine Bay with heads and Intake Manifolds removed, and I keep looking longingly at the Steering Box which was re-sealed some two years ago but has a slight oil leak. Same goes for the Power Steering pump, but it has never been touched - not during my time anyway - the problem is that I have no reconditioned or rebuilt units on hand at the moment. Still, that box is so inviting - it would be child's play to remove it now - comparatively so, at least.

Another item that begs to be replaced is the Water Pump - that I reconditioned probably nine years ago, and whilst it seems fine and is not leaking, now would be the time to replace it. Well, I'll just have to play it by ear. Regards Styria
Old 8th July 2008, 03:42 AM
The Godfather

For anyone that's interested - it is best to start a new thread for ease of reading and understanding the scope of the job on hand. Needless to say, the beautifying process continues. Regards Styria
Old 14th July 2008, 06:32 PM
Ron B.

Heres a hint for those who intend to pull the heads on the 6.9. Use a engine lifter .
It's better than ruining your back and/or dropping a head on a customers mudguard. I even lift them back in with the hoist.
I see a couple of questions regarding lesser engines such as Phantoms and Porsches,I have had to do a few 6.9 head gaskets and I figured out long ago what caused them to fail. The water in the Oil isn't a problem unless the engine has done more than 500,000. So don't worry about bearing wear,it aint gonna happen. When the oil pressure drops below 1 bar at driving speed ,then it's time for a bearing job.
In fact I just did a 6.9 here which has 300,000 + on it and hadn't had it's oil changed since 1998!. The engine is smooth quiet,and idles and runs beautifully as it should .
Old 14th July 2008, 08:19 PM
Noble

There is no question posted regarding a Phantom engine. Similarly, there is no question posted about Laphoaig.
Regards,
BenzBoy

Last edited by BenzBoy; 14th July 2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old 14th July 2008, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
There is no question posted regarding a Phantom engine. Similarly, there is no question posted about Laphoaig.
Regards,
BenzBoy
Lighten up a bit bloke, a joke is a joke and trust me Ron has an unbelieveable amount of experience to contribute to this forum.
#2723 6.3
W202 C240
W220 S500
Old 14th July 2008, 10:55 PM
Noble

Quote:
Originally Posted by abl567 View Post
Lighten up a bit bloke, a joke is a joke and trust me Ron has an unbelieveable amount of experience to contribute to this forum.
And that's the way I took it - hence my reply. Mr bloke!!
Regards,
BenzBoy
Old 14th July 2008, 11:15 PM
Aristocrat

Quote:
Regards,
BenzBoy

Laphroaig??! I took your advice, and put some in the tank at Sandown yesterday..worked a treat!!

1978 W116 - 450 SEL - Finally locked
1979 W116 - 450 SE 6.9 - New Ticker
Old 14th July 2008, 11:16 PM
Aristocrat

Ok... sorry, back on topic.

1978 W116 - 450 SEL - Finally locked
1979 W116 - 450 SE 6.9 - New Ticker
Old 15th July 2008, 04:28 AM
The Godfather

Some interesting comments, RonB. There is a follow up to this thread which refers to the use of an engine lifting hoist when re-installing heads.

How did you manage with the head on the right hand bank ? Do you attach the exhaust manifold prior to fitting up the head ? We couldn't do it as it simply would not clear the steering box. Thus, we removed the exhaust manifold but, in the end, did away with the hoist and used man power.

Whilst we managed in the end, two mistakes we made that stand out quite clearly. One, I should have removed the Brake Booster, and secondly, we should have left the fitting of the long head bolts till the heads were in place. But, you live and you learn. Regards Styria
Old 23rd September 2008, 06:44 AM
The Godfather

Okay, we've had no further comments from RonB regarding the re-fitting of the right hand head. Obviously, I have read his posts on the M100 site and I hope that he will continue to contribute from time to time - in fact, all the time.

I should also point out that I have commenced another thread dealing with this work subsequent to the re-fitting of the heads and other various components. It is hoped that the two threads, side by side, will illustrate some of the issues and results ensuing therefrom.

A huge concern on my part had been the presence of water in the oil - in fact, it got so bad that despite an oil and filter change, the fresh oil was completely caramel coloured after a mere 22 kilometers. Some action was needed badly.

Once heads were removed etc. etc. , I set about getting rid of that white sludge. Surprisingly, it wasn't nearly as bad as I had envisaged. Nevertheless, the engine degreasing gun and copious quantities of Kerosene (some 15 litres in total) were pumped, sprayed, and filling up of the oil reservoir, plus spraying into all orifices and corners and cavities with engine oil drain plug in and out, also in the Timing Chain section, in other words I really gave it the treatment in every which way. It took hours of cleaning up the various messes of kero, petrol, degreaser etc. etc.

Furthermore, I was really worried what I would find oil pressure wise once I decided to install another oil pipe from the back of the engine to the gauge in the instrument cluster. Remember, Gleaming Beauty had been bought with a non-functioning gauge some thirteen years ago, and a repaired sump and the fact that someone had crimped the line did not fill me with a lot of confidence - frankly, I was worried as to what I would find. Just a hint this time - my fears have been completely dispelled - at least, so far and the engine has been hot enough for the auxiliary fan to cut in at 85 degrees after some 32 kilometers of driving - these are the "baby steps" I am referring to in another section. Regards Styria

Last edited by Styria; 23rd September 2008 at 06:46 AM.