Topklasse Discussion Board  
Home Forum Legal/Privacy Media/Picture Gallery Websites and Links Technical

Go Back   Topklasse Discussion Board > THE CRAFTSMAN - TECHNICAL DEPARTMENT > EXTERIORS & BODY REPAIRS

EXTERIORS & BODY REPAIRS Bring your beloved back to its former glory - or just polish the chrome some more!

Old 8th October 2012, 01:50 PM
Noble

Default How to: Sand back & repaint exhaust tips

Appreciate your opinion on how to sand back and repaint the exhaust tips on the 300SE?

Exhaust tips have a little bit of corrison and would like to remove the corrison.

Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TIMS CAR 005.jpg (519.8 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by 260ebenz; 8th October 2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 8th October 2012, 02:24 PM
Aristocrat

Default Re: How to: Sand back & repaint exhaust tips

I think you need to fit a genuine muffler Tim, they come painted
Old 8th October 2012, 02:36 PM
Noble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet View Post
I think you need to fit a genuine muffler Tim, they come painted
Hello Helmet,

Muffler was fitted to the car when I bought it and my Mechanic said it is a new muffler.

So I am imagine to sand back the exhaust tips I would use fine grit sand paper and black paint preferably paint that will withstand the heat from the exhaust?

And paint that will not peel off once the paint is dry?

Thank you.
Old 8th October 2012, 08:55 PM
Aristocrat

I reckon we need to organise a detailing day!
Old 8th October 2012, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Ha ha ha, we could have it a BenzBoys
#2723 6.3
#8659 3.5
W208 CLK430
Old 8th October 2012, 09:59 PM
Noble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony66_au View Post
I reckon we need to organise a detailing day!
Tony is that comment really necessary?
Old 8th October 2012, 10:12 PM
Prodigal Son

Now now boys be nice. Tim this is the only thing you need to know VHT flame proof paint. Any auto parts store sells it and is used in every exhaust shop in the country. On vehicle proceedure is sand and clean rge part to be painted. Once painted idle car for 10 minutes then let cool for 10 minutes. Then idle car for 20 minutes and cool for same period. Then go for 30 minute drive and cool for same time. This is done after paint drys to cure the paint once cured it will withstand upto 1300 degrees Fahrenheit or just over 1000 degrees Celsius. End of story i used to fit exhaust Tim. Geoff
Old 8th October 2012, 10:17 PM
Aristocrat

You should be able to buy polished after market exhaust tips and fit those.
Ask your friendly Midas dealer.
Old 9th October 2012, 03:17 AM
One Of The Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL_69L View Post
You should be able to buy polished after market exhaust tips and fit those.
Ask your friendly Midas dealer.
Ah, but! Tim is going for concourse!
No aftermarket chrome or polished tips...

1978 W116 690SEL # 3312
1985 R107 500SL AMG
2000 W208 CLK430 Coupe
2003 W163 ML320
Old 9th October 2012, 03:25 AM

This thread has the makings of a repeat situation that we have experienced not so long ago, and which had degenerated into taking fellow member(s) to task publicly. I am sorry but public admonishment or ridicule goes against the principles of fairness and cannot be accepted on TK. The advice given so far, and in particular by Motec 6.9, is perfectly adequate and appropriate to the thread, and the advice sought has been properly and adequately answered. I don't think it is necessary to add much further on the matter, especially given the situation that the concours d'elegance is only a matter of days away, thus it should all be settled by now. Perhaps the subject matter can be re-visited in about twelve months time.
Old 9th October 2012, 09:52 AM
Aristocrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
This thread has the makings of a repeat situation that we have experienced not so long ago, and which had degenerated into taking fellow member(s) to task publicly. I am sorry but public admonishment or ridicule goes against the principles of fairness and cannot be accepted on TK. The advice given so far, and in particular by Motec 6.9, is perfectly adequate and appropriate to the thread, and the advice sought has been properly and adequately answered. I don't think it is necessary to add much further on the matter, especially given the situation that the concours d'elegance is only a matter of days away, thus it should all be settled by now. Perhaps the subject matter can be re-visited in about twelve months time.
I have to disagree with you here as the advice given so far has been solid and informative with a few light hearted jibes in Mr Leeces direction.

The issue here is I believe one of a touchy member, I believe touchy because of a perceived vilification or unfairness and with most perceived Wrong doing the perception is incorrect.

My understanding of community is that it comprises of different types of people coming together for a common goal and contributing towards this goal.

I also understand that some of us have a more liberal approach towards humanity than others and that too is fine up to a point where perhaps the sooky party needs to harden up and learn some manners, respect and common sense.

Excuses are by nature destructive and I have taught all of my kids and many employee's to "Own their mistakes" as it seems we are now part of a culture where blame shifting and finger pointing are the accepted "Norm".

There is no such thing as an Accident for adults, only Neglect, carelessness or thoughtlessness so why Excuses for they are as redundant as Accidents.

Information is also valuable and sometimes hard to come by so those who provide this information and extend their time and effort to others need to be shown common (Uncommon?) Courtesy for taking the time to explain #### and the recipient of this gift needs to heed and follow to the letter the instruction given.

I have instructed many during the course of my job as a trainer in heavy vehicles for instance and this was a multi faceted job covering all aspects of heavy vehicle instruction, safety and operation, Teaching adults who in most cases had many years doing what I was assessing, often exceeding my own experience.

I know how to instruct, I also know when its a waste of my time instructing and I need to alter my approach to effect a lesson so what I do doesn't go in one ear and out the other and above all I know when to no longer bother and fail the person rejecting my premise and instruction.

So I can perhaps see this a little more clearly and totally unaffected by emotion which is why I reject your premise and prefer my own.
Old 9th October 2012, 04:29 PM
Aristocrat

Arrow Re: How to: Sand back & repaint exhaust tips

I get your drift Tony, but my son in law taught me a simple lesson......
" Let it go through to the Wicket Keeper" Sean
Old 10th October 2012, 06:18 PM
Aristocrat

Yeah, but if it keeps happening......

I think Motec has provided the correct procedure already and unless Tim would like to add before/after pix I think this thread has reached its conclusion

01 Ford AU 5L (Deep Blue)
89 560L#322020
88 500L#451660-P
88 420L#422477-P
87 420L#324309-P
87 420L#-P
88 420L Euro#-P
88 420L#-P
86 560L#235896-P
79 6.9#5541 (Red Bull)
78 6.9#4248 (Skye)
79 6.9#3686 (Moby Dick)
78 6.9#1776 (Dora)
77 450L#067010-P
75 450L#028414 (Gold Nugget)-P
57 Buick 73A (Titanic)
Old 10th October 2012, 06:26 PM
Aristocrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oversize View Post
Yeah, but if it keeps happening......

I think Motec has provided the correct procedure already and unless Tim would like to add before/after pix I think this thread has reached its conclusion
We can check it out at the concourse
Old 11th October 2012, 05:44 AM
The Godfather

Hi Helmet, looking forward to meeting you, and chatting, at the concours. Chances are that I will not display GB in the area that attracts the $20.00 parking charge. Depending on parking facilities outside the area, that is where more than likely you will find me. Regards Styria

N.B. Looking forward to seeing your 220 Coupe. It seems a fine looking car. Did you enter your car for judging ?