Topklasse Discussion Board  
Home Forum Legal/Privacy Media/Picture Gallery Websites and Links Technical

Go Back   Topklasse Discussion Board > THE CRAFTSMAN - TECHNICAL DEPARTMENT > MECHANICALS

MECHANICALS With a 30 year-old automobile, there will always be discussion here - maintenance, modifications and mechanicals.

Old 9th January 2018, 07:29 PM
Respectable

Question Correct spark plugs and dizzy cap...??? Canít find online

Hey AGAIN everyone (I've always loads of questions), again tinkering with the engine. Since I bought the car a few weeks ago its had a noticeable "miss" especially upon a cold first start. so today I pulled the plugs and of course number 3 was heavily sooted and had a carbon build up. need to replace asap....
also the dizzy cap had some damage inside, almost like someone hadn't fitted it correctly and the rotor had marked the side of it. luckily no rotor or dizzy damage.

The plugs fitted where NGK BP4ES which when I looked up where incorrect. Am I right in finding NGK BP6ES...???

Also i cant find a part number on the dizzy cap or find a number online, whats the correct dizzy ap i should be fitting...???

sorry its for a '74 280SE.

kind regards,
neil.
Modify message
Old 10th January 2018, 02:57 AM
Aristocrat

Default Re: Correct spark plugs and dizzy cap...??? Canít find online

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvine View Post
Hey AGAIN everyone (I've always loads of questions), again tinkering with the engine. Since I bought the car a few weeks ago its had a noticeable "miss" especially upon a cold first start. so today I pulled the plugs and of course number 3 was heavily sooted and had a carbon build up. need to replace asap....
also the dizzy cap had some damage inside, almost like someone hadn't fitted it correctly and the rotor had marked the side of it. luckily no rotor or dizzy damage.

The plugs fitted where NGK BP4ES which when I looked up where incorrect. Am I right in finding NGK BP6ES...???

Also i cant find a part number on the dizzy cap or find a number online, whats the correct dizzy ap i should be fitting...???

sorry its for a '74 280SE.

kind regards,
neil.
Modify message
Hi Neil.
A BP4ES is a hotter version of the BP6ES. Its a non resistor plug which is what you're looking for. resistance is built into the leads.

If its just one of them fouled, may be because the cap is a bit stuffed? One of the Mercedes parts suppliers should be able to sell you the right cap. I would also check very carefully the suppressors at the end of the leads. the misfire in my 300SE was caused by spark leaking out of cracks in the suppressor. You could see it quite clearly if you run the motor at night.

Would be a quick and cheap thing to get a cap, new set of plugs and check the suppressors and see if that fixes the problem.
Old 10th January 2018, 10:26 AM
Respectable

Default Re: Correct spark plugs and dizzy cap...??? Canít find online

Thanks for the info mate, planning on replacing the whole system in the next few weeks.

Thanks,
Neil.
Old 15th January 2018, 05:38 PM
Aristocrat

Talking Re: Correct spark plugs and dizzy cap...??? Canít find online

Silver Star Spares 95543835 have the Vin No. ready