Topklasse Discussion Board  
Home Forum Legal/Privacy Media/Picture Gallery Websites and Links Technical

Go Back   Topklasse Discussion Board > THE VENDOR - TOPKLASSE SHOP > TRADING POST/EBAY LISTINGS

TRADING POST/EBAY LISTINGS Share relevant ebay listings and buy/sell your wares and spares - from computers to carburettors!

Old 3rd July 2008, 09:46 PM
Aristocrat

Exclamation Upgrade your 6.9's braking capacity?!

DBA make slotted / hardened rotors for W116's but they are about $250 (per end) so these come in at enough under that (postage included) to make it worth a crack. Still not sure whether i'll go with these rotors or the DBA ones.. but food for though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...spagenameZWD2V

1978 W116 - 450 SEL - Finally locked
1979 W116 - 450 SE 6.9 - New Ticker
Old 5th July 2008, 02:57 PM
Connoisseur

Default Re: Upgrade your 6.9's braking capacity?!

While zinc plating should stop rusting on the disc, I have real difficulty in believing that zinc plating would be there after the first couple of hard breaking situations, or even for a week of normal use in traffic. Has anyone ever tried zinc plated discs?
Old 6th July 2008, 06:29 PM
Aristocrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S View Post
While zinc plating should stop rusting on the disc, I have real difficulty in believing that zinc plating would be there after the first couple of hard breaking situations, or even for a week of normal use in traffic. Has anyone ever tried zinc plated discs?
Wouldn't the decreased braking temperatures from the venting actually slow the rate of wear as well? Of course, i'd imagine the zinc plating would wear off eventually. But all that aside the venting / slotting etc would no doubt increase the effectiveness and life of the rotors.. I think?.

Old 6th July 2008, 10:40 PM
The Godfather

Hi guys, it would take someone more qualified than I am to comment on the pros and cons of fitting these disc rotors compared with standard or aftermarket items or, indeed, the locally manufactured ones.

There is no question that slotted or otherwise modified discs would have to constitute an improvement over plain units, to say the least. One only has to look at what's being fitted to modern cars nowadays, as well as sportier versions. It then remains to determine the quality of the after market product such as the one shown by the Trinet website - this, obviously, can only be determined by time and usage. Certainly, however, it is worth the while to file the product offered by that Company and perhaps take the plunge when next rotors are in need of replacement. Regards Styria
Old 6th July 2008, 11:23 PM
Aristocrat

Mate, DBA make rotors for 116's. I have the part number written at work somewhere.

The fronts are Hardened & Slotted / Cross drilled. The rear's are just hardened and vented. MB Spares refererred me the part number and said they can be ordered from Repco. Repco quoted me about $250 per end. I think it was just under $500 for the whole car. I'll be doing it in the next month or 2 so will definitely post some pics of them for review...

Cam2.

Old 17th August 2008, 07:44 AM
BAR

DBA's part number for the W116 front rotors is 255

They also have them for the W126 which is [B]262[B]

The W126 brakes are 22mm greater in diameter!

So for my money, get larger rims, get the W126 front rotors and brakes, stick them on the W116 and you have better braking... all too easy. Now the rotors should fit right on without modifications, just haven't seen the brake mounting points on a W126 assembly.