Topklasse Discussion Board  
Home Forum Legal/Privacy Media/Picture Gallery Websites and Links Technical

Go Back   Topklasse Discussion Board > THE CRAFTSMAN - TECHNICAL DEPARTMENT > INTERIORS

INTERIORS Its whats on the inside that counts... from dashboards to door handles you will find it here.

Old 17th October 2014, 03:49 PM
The Godfather

Default Re: dash covering 107 SL

I would probably disagree with BenzBoy on a couple of points. Sure enough, if you want leather on your dash, by all means go ahead. If the shape of your dash is simple enough, leather can certainly be an option. On the other hand, dash shapes can be complex, and in some instances, leather is just not practical from a covering point of view, and it can be almost impossible to use it in areas where you have openings for clocks, instruments and fresh air vents.

For instance, take a 1960 190SL. If you want original, yes you use leather. If you want one piece covering the complete dash, it can be done, but it will take at least one full day, if not more, and even then the quality and finish of the covering can be somewhat lacking. That's why I have seen a number of that model with a sewing seam around the instrument binnacle. It's that item that is the source of difficulty.

Dashes that are recovered by a professional in vinyl are long lasting. Ten years is not an unreasonable expectation from a longevity point of view. I have proved that over and over again. My two bobs worth. Regards Styria
Old 17th October 2014, 04:43 PM
Aristocrat

Smile Re: dash covering 107 SL

P.S. I forgot to mention that Covers are available for 107's. Not a stock item but one day o/nite from WA to the Sydney depot.
Old 17th October 2014, 04:58 PM
Noble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styria View Post
I would probably disagree with BenzBoy on a couple of points. Sure enough, if you want leather on your dash, by all means go ahead. If the shape of your dash is simple enough, leather can certainly be an option. On the other hand, dash shapes can be complex, and in some instances, leather is just not practical from a covering point of view, and it can be almost impossible to use it in areas where you have openings for clocks, instruments and fresh air vents.

For instance, take a 1960 190SL. If you want original, yes you use leather. If you want one piece covering the complete dash, it can be done, but it will take at least one full day, if not more, and even then the quality and finish of the covering can be somewhat lacking. That's why I have seen a number of that model with a sewing seam around the instrument binnacle. It's that item that is the source of difficulty.

Dashes that are recovered by a professional in vinyl are long lasting. Ten years is not an unreasonable expectation from a longevity point of view. I have proved that over and over again. My two bobs worth. Regards Styria
That's one point; and the other?
Remember my A Class had a leather covered dash ....
Regards,
Brian
Old 17th October 2014, 05:00 PM
Prodigal Son

You had an A Class . No tell me it isn't so.
Memnoch #1873 6.9 255.6 RWHP
The Kommando believed only 1 in Oz
Old 17th October 2014, 05:31 PM
Noble

Quote:
Originally Posted by motec 6.9 View Post
You had an A Class . No tell me it isn't so.
It was a brilliant car; an A190 Avantgarde - built like a Swiss watch and motored like a dream. Bespoke interior etc. - 5sp manual etc. Probably one of my favourite cars.
Miss Bea and I flogged across the country doing dog shows and people would stare in disbelief as Miss Bea would step down graciously, followed by trollies, cabana and luggage - and Quilpie, Shadow and my all time Big Winner, Banjo. Then along came Miss Olga and she demanded a Rolls-Royce and the A Class made way for the M Class because puppies followed like night follows day.
Jokes aside; it was a seriously good car and with its current owner it still is. Never once in 200,000kms did it do anything wrong.
Regards,
Brian

Last edited by BenzBoy; 17th October 2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 17th October 2014, 05:35 PM
Prodigal Son

I want new A250 . Had a lift in one a few months ago.
Old 17th October 2014, 05:37 PM
Noble

Quote:
I want new A250 . Had a lift in one a few months ago.
We will be keel-hauled for pirating this thread you know...
Old 17th October 2014, 05:40 PM
Prodigal Son

Your right back to 107 dash covering . I always though they were only ever vinyl like the W116 dash.
Old 18th October 2014, 04:57 AM
The Godfather

Quote:
Your right back to 107 dash covering . I always though they were only ever vinyl like the W116 dash.
That, just about sums it up. BenzBoy, this is the first time you have ever mentioned owning an A-Class. As you know, the Honda Jazz is probably an A Class copy to some degree, and its versatility is remarkable. Back to topic ! Regards Styria
Old 18th October 2014, 05:39 AM
Prodigal Son

Oh and Styria you copied my reply not Benzboy's in your answer.