Topklasse Discussion Board  
Home Forum Legal/Privacy Media/Picture Gallery Websites and Links Technical

Go Back   Topklasse Discussion Board > THE CRAFTSMAN - TECHNICAL DEPARTMENT > EXTERIORS & BODY REPAIRS

EXTERIORS & BODY REPAIRS Bring your beloved back to its former glory - or just polish the chrome some more!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 4th June 2015, 01:43 PM
sean sherry sean sherry is offline
Aristocrat
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: sydney
Posts: 1,110
Question Streak free cleaners

Well none of them work on my Mk V11 Golf. After 2 hours frustration this morning , ending up with soap and water , still streaky and greasy .
Only product that did eventually work was Rain Ex - treame which I had for the plastic window of the SL. I think it is a VW problem, as I have never had this issue before. Also the Metallic Silver Paint scratches with anything harder than my finger nail. The Rain Ex reminds me of the old Bon ami product of yester year. Dries white quickly,, and seems to lift all the greasy scum when wiped off. I guess VW have found the cheapest way to finish their Cars. The suspension is all pressed metal ,and a bump on a curb would probably cause a lot of damage. Not designed for a long life it seems. Just another throw away product. I will follow Styria's example and check with a Dealer as to their worth after the Warranty runs out.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 4th June 2015, 01:57 PM
sean sherry sean sherry is offline
Aristocrat
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: sydney
Posts: 1,110
Smile Re: Streak free cleaners

Now maybe I should reply to my own post. Forget these throw away Cars and get a clean and tidy Merc. from back in the days when they were made to last. A six cyl. from the early Nineties perhaps ? All advice greatly received.

Dump the Golf when it is expedient to do so.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 4th June 2015, 06:08 PM
Styria's Avatar
Styria Styria is offline
The Godfather
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,166
Default Re: Streak free cleaners

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sherry View Post
Well none of them work on my Mk V11 Golf. After 2 hours frustration this morning , ending up with soap and water , still streaky and greasy .
Only product that did eventually work was Rain Ex - treame which I had for the plastic window of the SL. I think it is a VW problem, as I have never had this issue before. Also the Metallic Silver Paint scratches with anything harder than my finger nail. The Rain Ex reminds me of the old Bon ami product of yester year. Dries white quickly,, and seems to lift all the greasy scum when wiped off. I guess VW have found the cheapest way to finish their Cars. The suspension is all pressed metal ,and a bump on a curb would probably cause a lot of damage. Not designed for a long life it seems. Just another throw away product. I will follow Styria's example and check with a Dealer as to their worth after the Warranty runs out.
Sean, do you really want to check with a dealer ? Your heart may not survive that experience. Plus, you ARE a nice chappie, and I do want to enjoy your company and lovely sense of humour a bit longer. Regards Styria
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 4th June 2015, 06:13 PM
Styria's Avatar
Styria Styria is offline
The Godfather
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,166
Default Re: Streak free cleaners

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sherry View Post
Now maybe I should reply to my own post. Forget these throw away Cars and get a clean and tidy Merc. from back in the days when they were made to last. A six cyl. from the early Nineties perhaps ? All advice greatly received.

Dump the Golf when it is expedient to do so.
....try the W140 ! No ? Hmmm.......with an old Mercedes, aren't you likely to be looking for trouble. You might have to go Memnoch's way - Kia Cerato, 7 year warranty, and I had a look at a Cerato Sedan (2012) just the other day. No, it was 2014, priced in an auction yard for about nineteen grand. Nice interior (believe it or not) , nice sound and, let's face it, not a bad looker. It does make one think........Regards Styria
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 5th June 2015, 08:16 AM
sean sherry sean sherry is offline
Aristocrat
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: sydney
Posts: 1,110
Smile Re: Streak free cleaners

Yes Styria, I will save myself a lot of aggravation and not ask a dealer. The Golf is a joy to drive as is the C Class and I guess the sensible path to take is to just keep driving both of them. We don't do much Mileage these days so perhaps I'm getting my nickers in a knot for nothing !
Maintence wise they cost very little , a annual oil and filter, an occasional brake fluid change and precious little else.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 5th June 2015, 07:28 PM
BenzBoy BenzBoy is offline
Noble
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sydney - Centre of Civilisation
Posts: 6,489
Default Re: Streak free cleaners

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sherry View Post
Yes Styria, I will save myself a lot of aggravation and not ask a dealer. The Golf is a joy to drive as is the C Class and I guess the sensible path to take is to just keep driving both of them. We don't do much Mileage these days so perhaps I'm getting my nickers in a knot for nothing !
Maintence wise they cost very little , a annual oil and filter, an occasional brake fluid change and precious little else.
And they will still be going strong in 15 years time so forget the changeover and enjoy.
The only economical way to buy a car is to keep it until it is no longer worth repairing and then you part it out for someone else to pick over .....
Regards,
Brian
__________________
Real men drive a 6 speed manual.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ineffective Air Cleaners Oversize MECHANICALS 19 19th January 2015 09:24 PM
Dismantling a 450SEL: ~Free Parts Lukas TRADING POST/EBAY LISTINGS 3 25th April 2011 06:48 PM
M110 motor - yours for FREE ! GreaseMonkey TRADING POST/EBAY LISTINGS 0 13th March 2009 04:35 PM
Air cleaners Des EXTERIORS & BODY REPAIRS 14 3rd April 2008 10:39 PM


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 11:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright Topklasse 2017