Topklasse Discussion Board  
Home Forum Legal/Privacy Media/Picture Gallery Websites and Links Technical

Go Back   Topklasse Discussion Board > THE VENDOR - TOPKLASSE SHOP > RECOMMENDED SUPPLIERS

RECOMMENDED SUPPLIERS Got a good deal recently? Share your supplier contacts with the community

Old 26th December 2015, 08:13 AM
Aristocrat

Question guide tool

it used to be that a guide Tool to locate the wheel when changing a Wheel was in the Tool Kit. Not with our C Class 204 ( 2010 ) With two damaged tires lately it is very difficult to mount the wheel without a 14 mm guide pin. The lip to centre the wheel is very shallow. Guide Pins from Amazon are $8.50 plus $42 freight !
They are all made in Tiawan, but ex USA. Not even Hong Kong, where a lot of Bits are Postage free?
I can't even get a 14 mm bolt to cut the head off to make one. At hardware stores or Builders Suppliers sizes jump from 12mm to 16mm , nothing in between.
Happy to buy one if anyone has a spare laying around.
Old 26th December 2015, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: guide tool

Try Nepean Fastners in Seven Hills for the 14mm bolt
#2723 6.3
#8659 3.5
W208 CLK430
Old 26th December 2015, 09:46 AM
Aristocrat

C class has 12mm wheel bolts
Old 26th December 2015, 03:45 PM
Aristocrat

Smile Re: guide tool

12mm bolts at the Hardware stores were one size down. Just measured the OD of a wheel bolt ..14mm.

I cut the head off a spare bolt and cut a screwdriver slot to remove it. Pretty short I will admit , but it will be much better than nothing till I get a proper guide bolt made up.
Severn Hills tomorrow, but I'll call first to confirm that they are open.
I was surprised to see that the wheel bolts are not treated steel, just soft metal. But could be that I use tempered steel hacksaw blades ?????
Old 28th December 2015, 07:25 PM
The Godfather

God only knows what you used, Sean - anyway, I got one of them things but you can't have it ! . You could use a longish, thickish Phillips Head Screwie for starters. You should try lifting those heavy Taiwanese made Speedy (brand) wheels into place on Gleaming Beauty - I was exploding everywhere - even the dog took off with a yelp. Regards. Styria

Last edited by Styria; 28th December 2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old 29th December 2015, 07:58 AM
Aristocrat

Lightbulb Re: guide tool

Yet again in another life, Styria, I worked on Ford Trucks with dual Rear Wheels
To lift them back on we used two large flat levers and a big heave Ho. I was full of youth full energy back then. When i get the guide pins sorted ( Two Of ) I will carry a couple of levers as well.
Old 29th December 2015, 01:17 PM
Aristocrat

Smile Re: guide tool

Mission accomplished......
Two Hi Tensile 14mm bolts with the heads cut off and a length of flat iron to lift the wheel. Guide bolts at 2 and 10 o'clock. Q.E.D.
Little Wifey asks what don't Mercedes supply these ?
Costs too much, says the cost Accountant... he is still there.
Old 29th December 2015, 02:14 PM
Connoisseur

Do mercedes even supply a full size spare anymore? was looking at a new model C class the other day and don't recall seeing one.

I really hate those tyre repair kits. I had one on a rental while in Europe. of course you never get a flat during working hours, and trying to find a place to get a tyre on a Sunday morning that was hertz approved pretty much wasted a day of our holiday. had there been a spare we could have whipped it on and had it repaired on the Monday.
Old 29th December 2015, 02:46 PM
The Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by c107 View Post
Do mercedes even supply a full size spare anymore? was looking at a new model C class the other day and don't recall seeing one.

I really hate those tyre repair kits. I had one on a rental while in Europe. of course you never get a flat during working hours, and trying to find a place to get a tyre on a Sunday morning that was hertz approved pretty much wasted a day of our holiday. had there been a spare we could have whipped it on and had it repaired on the Monday.
It really does make you wonder. If you take a Ch.116, not R107 of course, you have the usual compartment for the spare. Say if that area was reduced in size to just accommodate a get you home spare, the space saved could it ever be put to any good use ? I doubt it. So really, what is the purpose of a space saver ? Got me beat. Regards Styria

N.B> Something else - how often does one use their back seat or carries passengers ? Mercedes have stats that indicate 5% usage of the back seat - so, do we need one or could we just have additional luggage space -- again, it's got me beat. Regards Styuria
Old 29th December 2015, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Weight reduction is the reason for the space saver spare or elimination of a spare altogether, less weight = lower fuel/energy consumption = lower emissions, which of course results in unchanged global temps for the last 18 years, see, Daimler have single handedly defeated global warming
#2723 6.3
#8659 3.5
W208 CLK430
Old 29th December 2015, 03:33 PM
Noble

Hmmm - the CLK has a full sized spare (although the wheels are different sizes front to rear) but the ML has a space saver - total useless little thing that compromises handling in a very big way. The full size wheel from the ML will not fit in the space saver holder underneath the vehicle, so if you have a full load of passengers and a full boot of luggage you have nowhere to put the flat tyre and must leave it beside the road.
Won't someone talk some sense into manufacturers who supply space savers and run flat tyres in this country?
Regards,
Brian
Old 29th December 2015, 05:10 PM
Connoisseur

Talking Re: guide tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzBoy View Post
Hmmm - the CLK has a full sized spare (although the wheels are different sizes front to rear) but the ML has a space saver - total useless little thing that compromises handling in a very big way. The full size wheel from the ML will not fit in the space saver holder underneath the vehicle, so if you have a full load of passengers and a full boot of luggage you have nowhere to put the flat tyre and must leave it beside the road.
Won't someone talk some sense into manufacturers who supply space savers and run flat tyres in this country?
Regards,
Brian
That's hardly the rugged offroad image mercedes would want to portray! One minor rock and the shiny ML is like a beached whale!
Old 29th December 2015, 05:34 PM
Noble

Quote:
Originally Posted by c107 View Post
That's hardly the rugged offroad image mercedes would want to portray! One minor rock and the shiny ML is like a beached whale!
Well actually, one nail on Pennant Hills Rd was enough to do that! When I travel into the country I always take a full sized spare in the boot - imagine trying to get home from Orange or elsewhere with a load of dogs and a space-saver.... Karl Benz would roll in his grave if he knew how silly the whole thing is.
Regards,
Brian
Ps: Mr Fast and Furious has a full sized spare. Sensible chappies those French!
Old 30th December 2015, 07:27 AM
One Of The Boys

Testing the new C63S and I must have hit a stone on the M5, which resulted in the wall of the tyre shearing and a deflation seen on the dash via the tyre pressure window.
I pulled up in the first breakdown bay and attempted to get the spare out to replace the flat tyre I had.
What spare? A can of tyre repair stuff was all I found.
After a few calls to MB PR office in Melbourne, I was advised that a tow truck was on its way!

NOT HAPPY JAN...

1978 W116 690SEL # 3312
1985 R107 500SL AMG
2000 W208 CLK430 Coupe
2003 W163 ML320
Old 30th December 2015, 07:39 AM
Aristocrat

Question Re: guide tool

Welcome to the Club Michael!
Both my flat tires recently were the result of side wall damage. It does not take much , what is going on with these modern tires? They are not cheap to replace.
May be like the City Race Horse which breaks it's fetlock in the first 100 metres at a Country Track.