Topklasse Discussion Board  
Home Forum Legal/Privacy Media/Picture Gallery Websites and Links Technical

Go Back   Topklasse Discussion Board > THE VENDOR - TOPKLASSE SHOP > RECOMMENDED SUPPLIERS

RECOMMENDED SUPPLIERS Got a good deal recently? Share your supplier contacts with the community

Old 23rd December 2009, 04:03 PM
Noble

Default Re: New Tyres For Your Pride & Joy

Hmmmm - and you want to use tyres made by a condom company? I guess it could be OK so long as you don't mix your rubbers when you park....
Regards,
Benz-Boy
Old 22nd June 2010, 09:49 AM
Respectable

G'day 6.9forever
Way back in May 08 !! you said that you had fitted Nankang tyres to your C320 and that you were happy with the handling in wet & dry - and the price difference when compared with Pirelli Rosso's was considerable.
I am interested to know your opinion now, after 2 years of use, as to the wear factor and the noise level.
I have an E280 CDi W211 running 265/35x18 Rears and 245/40x18 Fronts Rosso's which have now done 45000 k's. I'm very happy with that and with the handling wet/dry etc, BUT the replacement cost is around $2300. I don't want to compromise on safety and I must assume Mercedes knew what they were doing when they supplied these rims and tyres, so I'm thinking I should stick with the Rosso's? But the dollar savings are tempting.
Be pleased to hear your comments.
Regards
Ron
Old 29th June 2010, 09:10 AM
The Godfather

Hi Flugelfrog, I have waited a little while to give 6.9 forever an opportunity to respond to you. David spends a fair bit of time overseas, but if you were to ring me on my mobile (0428-50-1800), I could provide you with his phone number.

In the meantime, I'll try and answer your query on his behalf - as best as I know. David did mention at one time that he was concerned at the noise level generated by the Nankings, but otherwise they seemed fine. Personally, I am more than happy with the ones I had on Gleaming Beauty - excellent roadholding in both wet and dry, and I really could not fault them from a longevity point of view. They were 18inchers, 235.40. I had to take them off prematurely on account of an incorrect rear suspension height level which caused premature wear on the inside of the tyres. The replacements, in due course, will certainly be Nankangs. I hope this assists you in whatever course of action you decide on. Regards Styria

Last edited by Styria; 30th June 2010 at 06:45 AM.
Old 29th June 2010, 06:13 PM
Aficionado

Hi flugelfrog -

Unfortunately (and unknown to Styria as I don't think I subsequently updated him) the Nankangs disappointed in the end. The rear ones became increasing noisy and the LH one showed a steel belt after less than 30,000km, closer to 25,000km I think and I always kept them inflated and wheels aligned. I have gone back to PZero Rossos, which I managed to get (complete set) at Bob Jane Hornsby for a reasonable price (albeit about 3 times the price of the Nankangs), as my leasing company drives a very hard bargain! The treads wore transversely in an uneven manner and the individual tread blocks become raised rather than stay flat on the face which I think is the source of the rolling noise.

I guess you get what you pay for.
450SEL6.9 - #4811 Classic White/Parchment velours, AUS delivered 1978
450SLC - Citrus Green/Parchment leather, AUS delivered 1979
C200 (W205) - 2015
B200 (W246) - 2015
Old 29th June 2010, 06:58 PM
Noble

I know all tyre companies have been subject to recalls at one point or another but I draw you attention to the following:
http://www.aboutautomobile.com/Tire/...Tread+and+Belt
I understand that Nankang did not comply with American law, did not attempt to notify owners of a potential danger and to date have not adequately addressed the issues.
Under these circumstances, I would not use Nanakang products on any of my vehicles. Safety should never be compromised by the savings of a few dollars.
I am aware that many people have had success with Nankang tyres but it would be unethical of me if I failed to draw your attention to the above.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Last edited by BenzBoy; 29th June 2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 30th June 2010, 06:19 AM
One Of The Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzBoy View Post
I know all tyre companies have been subject to recalls at one point or another but I draw you attention to the following:
http://www.aboutautomobile.com/Tire/...Tread+and+Belt
I understand that Nankang did not comply with American law, did not attempt to notify owners of a potential danger and to date have not adequately addressed the issues.
Under these circumstances, I would not use Nanakang products on any of my vehicles. Safety should never be compromised by the savings of a few dollars.
I am aware that many people have had success with Nankang tyres but it would be unethical of me if I failed to draw your attention to the above.
Regards,
Benz-Boy
This is scary stuff....
I stopped reading after complaint numer 12.... but they were all the same...

1978 W116 690SEL # 3312
1985 R107 500SL AMG
2000 W208 CLK430 Coupe
2003 W163 ML320
Old 30th June 2010, 10:19 AM
Respectable

Thanks for all the comments and assistance - proof once again that this forum - and some others! - are worth their weight in gold !!
I have decided that I would be mad not to keep with Rosso's. I've just clicked over to 46000klms and I estimate the rears are down to about 1mm over the wear limit and the fronts say 2mm. I intend to renew the tyres in the next few weeks although they still feel good and seem to be 'grippy' and not noisy.
Prices for Rosso's (for the 4) range from $3000 from the local MB dealer to a little over $2100 (and still negotiating !) from Bob Jane. Considering my anticipated future mileage (in this car) will be only 10000 klms per annum, the tyres will last well over 4 years, with an average weekly cost of only $8 or $9
and thats' OK with me !
Regards
Ron
Old 30th June 2010, 07:29 PM
The Godfather

Well, I think it's been a good and useful discussion, and I am sure that there has to be a lesson well learned by each of us somewhere along the line. I myself will use Nankangs again as I have had no adverse experience either by way of lifting treads or any other defects. Regarding the harsh ride - hmm...just not quite sure what to make of that, and to be sure, Gleaming Beauty with its 18" rims may feel somewhat "more firm", but i would always have put that down to the larger size rims compared with standard.

Incidentally, I have always been under the impression that the Nankangs that had been fitted to Gleaming Beauty were manufactured in Taiwan, and not in China and to be perfectly honest, I have great respect for goods manufactured in that country. Prior to purchasing the Speedy Wheels , I had Mercedes 15" rims shod with Chinese made Good Year tyres. Again, I could not fault those tyres, and I subsequently sold those rims and tyres to Bar, one of our members. I do not believe that he had any problems with that rim/tyre combination.

The other day, I came across some nice looking Firestones, made in New Zealand. They looked very impressive, with a nice tread pattern, and in a size very close to the original XWX tyres. This is an overall picture of the Magnetite Blue 6.9 that is now owned by fellow member Ofontenay - as you can see, the tyres, being 2.25.65.14 tie in well size wise with originals.

A close-up shot of the tread pattern...

and another closer look at its height level - 96H...

Regards Styria
Old 30th June 2010, 07:43 PM
Noble

Nankang has a manufaturing plant in their home of Taiwan and one in the PRC - as you can see when you visit their site: http://www.nankang.com.tw/home.php?fn=eng/about
Regards,
Benz-Boy
Old 1st July 2010, 06:40 AM
The Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzBoy View Post
Nankang has a manufaturing plant in their home of Taiwan and one in the PRC - as you can see when you visit their site: http://www.nankang.com.tw/home.php?fn=eng/about
Regards,
Benz-Boy
Thank you for that link - there is some quite useful information on their site - and I am now convinced that, after all, the Nankangs I had purchased for Gleaming Beauty were in fact made in Taiwan. Regards Styria
Old 13th March 2012, 09:12 PM
Aristocrat

This is an old thread that I found when searching tyre subjects. Styria you probably already know now, but 96H refers to a load rating of 96 and a speed rating of H.

What does everyone think of Kumho Tyres? What about Toyos, Falken, or Hankooks?

01 Ford AU 5L (Deep Blue)
88 420L Euro#-P
88 420L#-P
88 420L#2477-P
87 560L#2020 (Dora 2)
87 560L #9987
87 420L#4309-P
87 420L#-P
86 560L#5896-P
79 6.9#5541 (Red Bull)
78 6.9#4248 (Skye)
79 6.9#3686 (Moby Dick)