Topklasse Discussion Board  
Home Forum Legal/Privacy Media/Picture Gallery Websites and Links Technical

Go Back   Topklasse Discussion Board > THE EXPERIENCE - DRIVING PLEASURE > TALKING TORQUE

TALKING TORQUE Feel free to discuss your Driving Experience in all other models as well!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 3rd August 2019, 09:29 PM
SEL_69L's Avatar
SEL_69L SEL_69L is offline
Aristocrat
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 1,263
Default 21 Year Old E55 Just Ticked over 100,000 klms Today

It as taken 21 years for my (now venerable) E55 to pass the 100,000 kilometer mark.
Probably not the lowest distance covered for a W210, but maybe in the lowest 10 percentile.

Condition commensurate with distance covered.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 3rd August 2019, 09:37 PM
motec 6.9's Avatar
motec 6.9 motec 6.9 is offline
Prodigal Son
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cantberra
Posts: 6,398
Default Re: 21 Year Old E55 Just Ticked over 100,000 klms Today

Congratulations on the milestone
__________________
Research more post less.
Memnoch #1873 6.9 255.6 RWHP
The Kommando believed only 1 in Oz
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 4th August 2019, 10:59 AM
Styria's Avatar
Styria Styria is offline
The Godfather
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,428
Default Re: 21 Year Old E55 Just Ticked over 100,000 klms Today

Talking about David's E55 AMG. Some little while ago, the car had new front and rear rotors fitted, together with new brake pads. AMG brakes are a little different to the other models not listed as AMGs. Considerable difficulty was experienced in getting the brakes to work properly - a very soft pedal, but the car would pull up straight and (fairly) well, but the brakes did not inspire a great deal of confidence. One Brake expert sought out for help and advice was noted for his absence despite promised otherwise, and another specialized Mercedes Repair Shop basically washed its hands on the basis "we don't want to get involved as we did not do the job originally" - despite being offered to be paid for it.

Now, I am sure that some of us have come across Scotty Kilmer and his videos talking about all manner of mechanical situations, and he does single out European cars for their faults and problems. ......and cost of servicing and spare parts. None of the manufacturers are spared his comments, and not everyone likers his videos. One of his videos related to replacing brake parts on some of the models, and he ventured the fact that computer reprogramming was required when brake components were replaced/renewed. On David's car, the repair shop replaced the Brake Master Cylinder as well as the Brake Servo unit for less than cost price.. The question I have is this : Does anyone know if the computer has to be reset in his situation ? Regards Styria

N.B. It is a 1999 E55 AMG.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11th August 2019, 07:30 PM
Helmet Helmet is offline
Aristocrat
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,155
Default Re: 21 Year Old E55 Just Ticked over 100,000 klms Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styria View Post
Talking about David's E55 AMG. Some little while ago, the car had new front and rear rotors fitted, together with new brake pads. AMG brakes are a little different to the other models not listed as AMGs. Considerable difficulty was experienced in getting the brakes to work properly - a very soft pedal, but the car would pull up straight and (fairly) well, but the brakes did not inspire a great deal of confidence. One Brake expert sought out for help and advice was noted for his absence despite promised otherwise, and another specialized Mercedes Repair Shop basically washed its hands on the basis "we don't want to get involved as we did not do the job originally" - despite being offered to be paid for it.

Now, I am sure that some of us have come across Scotty Kilmer and his videos talking about all manner of mechanical situations, and he does single out European cars for their faults and problems. ......and cost of servicing and spare parts. None of the manufacturers are spared his comments, and not everyone likers his videos. One of his videos related to replacing brake parts on some of the models, and he ventured the fact that computer reprogramming was required when brake components were replaced/renewed. On David's car, the repair shop replaced the Brake Master Cylinder as well as the Brake Servo unit for less than cost price.. The question I have is this : Does anyone know if the computer has to be reset in his situation ? Regards Styria

N.B. It is a 1999 E55 AMG.
A W210 E55 has basically the same brakes as any other car on the road. You donít need any computer reset. Just fit good quality parts correctly and you canít go wrong. Why would it need new Master Cylinder and booster ?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 13th August 2019, 03:27 PM
Styria's Avatar
Styria Styria is offline
The Godfather
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,428
Default Re: 21 Year Old E55 Just Ticked over 100,000 klms Today

Peter, thanks for coming in on this - it was the possibility of perhaps a computer reset to account for the replacement of front and rear disc rotors, plus front and rear pads. The job was quite a saga, carried out by qualified and competent mechanics that have been responsible for the servicing of my Holden Captiva and our Honda Jazz. The parts used were partially Mercedes (rear rotor and rear pads) with the front rotor after market as well as aftermarket front pads.

Initially after many hours of work, bleeding and rebleeding the system both conventionally and one caliper at a time, the mechanics could not get a satisfactory pedal at the time. They were at their wits end, and initially replaced the Master Cylinder (without improvement) and then the Brake Servo unit, again without the desired improvement. We also re-fitted the original front pads that were like new but, again, there was no improvement. With engine switched off, the brake pedal was as hard as a rock, but the moment you would start the engine, the pedal became very soft and would depress a long way. We did seek help and assistance from a couple of very capable sources, but could not get them to attend personally even though money was offered.

In the end, I took it upon myself to testdrive the car for a lengthy distance, and the further I went, the more of an improvement was achieved - even though the pedal was still a little soft. The car was also subject to further work by a qualified mechanic specializing in Mercedes work and he felt that the brakes felt okay - there was really nothing that he reckoned that could be faulted, but he was not prepared to investigate as he had not done the work in the first place. A bit hard for me to comprehend, especially as payment was offered.

Peter, those same original mechanics fitted new front brake rotors and front disc brake pads to my Captiva, and I obtained those parts from suppliers in Victoria. I have experienced absolutely no issues and it cost me $130.00 for the rotors, $79.00 for "top" specifications dust free pads, and for a further $135.00 in labor charges the car was returned to me all finished and working perfectly. I mention this as, obviously I fitted after market pads, with no detrimental effects. From memory, the pads were of EBC manufacture, a highly regarded brake component manufacturer.

It is some time since I have had contact with SEL69L, but I am certain that he would have let me know of any brake issues that his car may suffer from. Regards Styria

Last edited by Styria; 13th August 2019 at 03:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 13th August 2019, 03:59 PM
Helmet Helmet is offline
Aristocrat
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,155
Default Re: 21 Year Old E55 Just Ticked over 100,000 klms Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styria View Post
Peter, thanks for coming in on this - it was the possibility of perhaps a computer reset to account for the replacement of front and rear disc rotors, plus front and rear pads. The job was quite a saga, carried out by qualified and competent mechanics that have been responsible for the servicing of my Holden Captiva and our Honda Jazz. The parts used were partially Mercedes (rear rotor and rear pads) with the front rotor after market as well as aftermarket front pads.

Initially after many hours of work, bleeding and rebleeding the system both conventionally and one caliper at a time, the mechanics could not get a satisfactory pedal at the time. They were at their wits end, and initially replaced the Master Cylinder (without improvement) and then the Brake Servo unit, again without the desired improvement. We also re-fitted the original front pads that were like new but, again, there was no improvement. With engine switched off, the brake pedal was as hard as a rock, but the moment you would start the engine, the pedal became very soft and would depress a long way. We did seek help and assistance from a couple of very capable sources, but could not get them to attend personally even though money was offered.

In the end, I took it upon myself to testdrive the car for a lengthy distance, and the further I went, the more of an improvement was achieved - even though the pedal was still a little soft. The car was also subject to further work by a qualified mechanic specializing in Mercedes work and he felt that the brakes felt okay - there was really nothing that he reckoned that could be faulted, but he was not prepared to investigate as he had not done the work in the first place. A bit hard for me to comprehend, especially as payment was offered.

Peter, those same original mechanics fitted new front brake rotors and front disc brake pads to my Captiva, and I obtained those parts from suppliers in Victoria. I have experienced absolutely no issues and it cost me $130.00 for the rotors, $79.00 for "top" specifications dust free pads, and for a further $135.00 in labor charges the car was returned to me all finished and working perfectly. I mention this as, obviously I fitted after market pads, with no detrimental effects. From memory, the pads were of EBC manufacture, a highly regarded brake component manufacturer.

It is some time since I have had contact with SEL69L, but I am certain that he would have let me know of any brake issues that his car may suffer from. Regards Styria

Sounds like the aftermarket front rotors and pads may not have married well and you weren't getting full contact across the face of the disc. The more you drove it the they mated and the pedal became firmer.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 13th August 2019, 06:39 PM
SEL_69L's Avatar
SEL_69L SEL_69L is offline
Aristocrat
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 1,263
Default Re: 21 Year Old E55 Just Ticked over 100,000 klms Today

Peter: It's nice to hear from you, and continue to take some interest in the E55.
Actually, I am quite happy with it.
I have tended to keep the E55 as a rolling semi museum piece, covering about 2,000 kilometers per year, on medium and long distance drives only.


The E55 is so good in fact, that I decided to buy the W202 C280, a car about which you remarked:
"Best of Breed"
My experience with the C280 has compelled me to agree with that remark.
So far, it has proven to be as reliable a a rather much newer, well maintained Toyota Corolla !

I have also lent the C280 out to quite a few other people, who have needed to borrow a car. Each and every one of them have enjoyed it as much as I have.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 13th August 2019, 08:12 PM
Helmet Helmet is offline
Aristocrat
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,155
Default Re: 21 Year Old E55 Just Ticked over 100,000 klms Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL_69L View Post
Peter: It's nice to hear from you, and continue to take some interest in the E55.
Actually, I am quite happy with it.
I have tended to keep the E55 as a rolling semi museum piece, covering about 2,000 kilometers per year, on medium and long distance drives only.


The E55 is so good in fact, that I decided to buy the W202 C280, a car about which you remarked:
"Best of Breed"
My experience with the C280 has compelled me to agree with that remark.
So far, it has proven to be as reliable a a rather much newer, well maintained Toyota Corolla !

I have also lent the C280 out to quite a few other people, who have needed to borrow a car. Each and every one of them have enjoyed it as much as I have.
Nice David. You have 2 great cars for sure , enjoy
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 13th August 2019, 08:12 PM
abl567's Avatar
abl567 abl567 is online now
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,956
Default Re: 21 Year Old E55 Just Ticked over 100,000 klms Today

I did all 4 rotors and pads recently on my W220 S500 at 99,861 kms, MB parts from Imparts and no problems at all. Perfect feel and super powerful.
I also changed the MAF as I'd experienced a "flat spot" once.
Now it's really an iron fist in a velvet glove. I love it.
__________________
W109 300SEL
#2723 6.3
W202 C240
W220 S500
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 13th August 2019, 09:07 PM
SEL_69L's Avatar
SEL_69L SEL_69L is offline
Aristocrat
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 1,263
Wink Re: 21 Year Old E55 Just Ticked over 100,000 klms Today

Nice Ant, you have some really great cars for sure (as well).
I know.
Thanks for the short drive in the W220 S500 !
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Out in the sun today BenzBoy TALKING TORQUE 52 21st May 2016 04:28 PM
Nearly had another car written off today Des TALKING TORQUE 3 15th August 2008 11:58 AM


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 08:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright Topklasse 2017