Topklasse Discussion Board  
Home Forum Legal/Privacy Media/Picture Gallery Websites and Links Technical

Go Back   Topklasse Discussion Board > THE CRAFTSMAN - TECHNICAL DEPARTMENT > MECHANICALS

MECHANICALS With a 30 year-old automobile, there will always be discussion here - maintenance, modifications and mechanicals.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #16  
Old 18th September 2018, 10:40 PM
braminator123's Avatar
braminator123 braminator123 is offline
Respectable
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 42
Default Re: Tyre choices

I run 205 / 70/ 14 Dunlop SP LM 703 made in Indonesia. They squeal a little too much for my liking around corners.

Anyone had recent experience with Serbian XWX Michelins? Are they like the original French made ones?

The car runs 14 inch alloys. A couple of years ago was thinking of upgrading to 15 inch Benz alloys. I rang Benz and they told me $3000 per rim plus VAT!!!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 19th September 2018, 09:50 AM
c107's Avatar
c107 c107 is offline
Aristocrat
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,116
Default Re: Tyre choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by braminator123 View Post

The car runs 14 inch alloys. A couple of years ago was thinking of upgrading to 15 inch Benz alloys. I rang Benz and they told me $3000 per rim plus VAT!!!
They are a lot cheaper now as they are re-manufacturing them. From memory around $500 per corner when they run one of the specials they do a few times a year.
__________________
Bryce
http://www.classicjalopy.com
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 15th October 2018, 07:54 PM
Oversize's Avatar
Oversize Oversize is offline
Aristocrat
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 4,329
Default Re: Tyre choices

Here’s some new ones thatve just become available again. Same as some Corvettes... Not sure about speed or load rating yet.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F113306179268
__________________
Mark

01 Ford AU 5L (Deep Blue)
88 420L Euro#-P
88 420L#-P
88 420L#2477-P
87 560L#2020 (Dora 2)
87 560L #9987
87 420L#4309-P
87 420L#-P
86 560L#5896-P
79 6.9#5541 (Red Bull)
78 6.9#4248 (Skye)
79 6.9#3686 (Moby Dick)
78 6.9#1776 (Dora 1)
77 450L#7010-P
75 450L#8414 (Gold Nugget)-P
57 Buick 73A (Titanic)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 16th October 2018, 01:15 AM
Oversize's Avatar
Oversize Oversize is offline
Aristocrat
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 4,329
Default Re: Tyre choices

__________________
Mark

01 Ford AU 5L (Deep Blue)
88 420L Euro#-P
88 420L#-P
88 420L#2477-P
87 560L#2020 (Dora 2)
87 560L #9987
87 420L#4309-P
87 420L#-P
86 560L#5896-P
79 6.9#5541 (Red Bull)
78 6.9#4248 (Skye)
79 6.9#3686 (Moby Dick)
78 6.9#1776 (Dora 1)
77 450L#7010-P
75 450L#8414 (Gold Nugget)-P
57 Buick 73A (Titanic)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 16th October 2018, 07:19 PM
Oversize's Avatar
Oversize Oversize is offline
Aristocrat
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 4,329
Default Re: Tyre choices

99W so more than enough... $289ea.
__________________
Mark

01 Ford AU 5L (Deep Blue)
88 420L Euro#-P
88 420L#-P
88 420L#2477-P
87 560L#2020 (Dora 2)
87 560L #9987
87 420L#4309-P
87 420L#-P
86 560L#5896-P
79 6.9#5541 (Red Bull)
78 6.9#4248 (Skye)
79 6.9#3686 (Moby Dick)
78 6.9#1776 (Dora 1)
77 450L#7010-P
75 450L#8414 (Gold Nugget)-P
57 Buick 73A (Titanic)
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 19th October 2018, 03:37 PM
BHW BHW is offline
Distinguished
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Florida, United States
Posts: 87
Post Re: Tyre choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oversize View Post
I know what I've paid for tires (tyres) in the past here and just had to look this up. Same models I've seen so far as low as $91.99 each. Goodrich themselves are running them for $121.99 each. I seriously put some thought into a rim business a time or two. I can never get over the price differentials in different countries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imageedit_2_5683808401.jpg (91.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg imageedit_4_6901594784.jpg (157.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg imageedit_6_4535618886.jpg (117.6 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by BHW; 19th October 2018 at 03:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 19th October 2018, 04:56 PM
Styria's Avatar
Styria Styria is offline
The Godfather
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,174
Default Re: Tyre choices

Ah, BHW, Australia the country for big businesses basking in a plethora of overcharging. Start with Government of any description, then work your way through local councils, Insurance Companies, Medical Insurance Outfits, Petrol Companies, Banks - in other words, just about the whole lot of them. Australia, the paradise and rip-off haven in just so many ways. My six pence worth. Regards Styria

N.B. Oh, I forgot Mercedes Benz and the majority of Car Companies with their cost of spare parts.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 19th October 2018, 08:33 PM
Oversize's Avatar
Oversize Oversize is offline
Aristocrat
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 4,329
Default Re: Tyre choices

Freight is usually the issue with larger items sourced OS. Wheels or tyres can be very $$$$ to transport and even if you can pick them up cheap it adds up in the end.
__________________
Mark

01 Ford AU 5L (Deep Blue)
88 420L Euro#-P
88 420L#-P
88 420L#2477-P
87 560L#2020 (Dora 2)
87 560L #9987
87 420L#4309-P
87 420L#-P
86 560L#5896-P
79 6.9#5541 (Red Bull)
78 6.9#4248 (Skye)
79 6.9#3686 (Moby Dick)
78 6.9#1776 (Dora 1)
77 450L#7010-P
75 450L#8414 (Gold Nugget)-P
57 Buick 73A (Titanic)
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 19th October 2018, 10:37 PM
BHW BHW is offline
Distinguished
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Florida, United States
Posts: 87
Smile Re: Tyre choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styria View Post
Ah, BHW, Australia the country for big businesses basking in a plethora of overcharging. Start with Government of any description, then work your way through local councils, Insurance Companies, Medical Insurance Outfits, Petrol Companies, Banks - in other words, just about the whole lot of them. Australia, the paradise and rip-off haven in just so many ways. My six pence worth. Regards Styria

N.B. Oh, I forgot Mercedes Benz and the majority of Car Companies with their cost of spare parts.
I hear ya Styria
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 19th October 2018, 11:01 PM
BHW BHW is offline
Distinguished
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Florida, United States
Posts: 87
Talking Re: Tyre choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oversize View Post
Freight is usually the issue with larger items sourced OS. Wheels or tyres can be very $$$$ to transport and even if you can pick them up cheap it adds up in the end.
Agree Oversize. And Australia has lots more restrictions as to what's allowed in and by what method. There are shipping companies here that specialize in Australians purchasing from US merchants then using them to ship cheaper. Such as MyUS.com https://www.myus.com/blog/buy-americ...-to-australia/ and Australian Postal Shop Mate https://shopmate.auspost.com.au/ I can't testify as to their service. Other thoughts of individuals going in on a shipping container if lots wanted, needed to be purchased and having a contact on the other end. Average pricing listing, but many sites and companies to choose from https://moverdb.com/container-shipping/?&frm_page=2
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 20th October 2018, 11:05 AM
c107's Avatar
c107 c107 is offline
Aristocrat
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,116
Default Re: Tyre choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
Agree Oversize. And Australia has lots more restrictions as to what's allowed in and by what method. There are shipping companies here that specialize in Australians purchasing from US merchants then using them to ship cheaper. Such as MyUS.com https://www.myus.com/blog/buy-americ...-to-australia/ and Australian Postal Shop Mate https://shopmate.auspost.com.au/ I can't testify as to their service. Other thoughts of individuals going in on a shipping container if lots wanted, needed to be purchased and having a contact on the other end. Average pricing listing, but many sites and companies to choose from https://moverdb.com/container-shipping/?&frm_page=2
I use myus.com, and find it pretty good although have never sent something as big as wheels/tyres.
It should be noted that they now collect GST on behalf of the AU govt, so this adds to the cost of their service.
__________________
Bryce
http://www.classicjalopy.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spare tyre for sale 260ebenz TRADING POST/EBAY LISTINGS 29 12th September 2014 04:48 PM
Tyre Age Oversize TECHNICAL INFORMATION 14 10th May 2013 02:45 PM
New tyre placement -bb- MECHANICALS 13 10th July 2012 09:25 PM
Colour Choices.... JoeB INTERIORS 9 5th August 2008 08:03 PM
Tyre advice! Martin280s EXTERIORS & BODY REPAIRS 21 6th May 2008 07:40 AM


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 07:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright Topklasse 2017