Topklasse Discussion Board

Topklasse Discussion Board (http://www.topklasse.net.au/forums/index.php)
-   EXTERIORS & BODY REPAIRS (http://www.topklasse.net.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   TK's top 10 detailing tips for Tim. (http://www.topklasse.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=3822)

Tony66_au 13th June 2012 10:09 PM

Re: TK's top 10 detailing tips for Tim.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenzBoy (Post 38809)
No Tim - No: Helmet is joking!!! Don't gernie the inside of the car - please!! You can only do that to Mini Mokes. :eek:
Regards,
Brian

I dunno Brian, I've seen pro steam cleaners do that

BenzBoy 13th June 2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony66_au (Post 38810)
I dunno Brian, I've seen pro steam cleaners do that

On leather? If they do that then they are not professional.
I had a professional detailer want to detail my Spirit and he advised me he would clean the leather with a scrubbing brush. Needless to say he did not get the job. :(
I do it myself and gently massage the leather with Leatherique. Scrubbing and water-blasting is plain silly.
Regards,
Brian

Helmet 14th June 2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenzBoy (Post 38809)
No Tim - No: Helmet is joking!!! Don't gernie the inside of the car - please!! You can only do that to Mini Mokes. :eek:
Regards,
Brian

Brian is correct, I posted this in jest , I wouldn't recommend going past the door jams with a high pressure cleaner. I'm sure the CLS in the video would be close to a write off after that soaking .

Styria 14th June 2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helmet (Post 38804)
This is what you have to do Tim :cool:

http://youtu.be/png5BFnwg1I

Helmet, that's the Yugoslav way of detailing a car - well, Skopje is in what is called Slovenie these days, but it's all close enough. Regards Styria

Oversize 14th June 2012 09:48 AM

Remind me to never buy a car from there!!! :eek:

260ebenz 14th June 2012 11:17 AM

I have seen that video before that is just sheer stupidity and the MB in the video is a write off!!

Tony66_au 14th June 2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenzBoy (Post 38811)
On leather? If they do that then they are not professional.
I had a professional detailer want to detail my Spirit and he advised me he would clean the leather with a scrubbing brush. Needless to say he did not get the job. :(
I do it myself and gently massage the leather with Leatherique. Scrubbing and water-blasting is plain silly.
Regards,
Brian

Not on leather No.

and granted he had the seats out of the car at the time, but he did pre spray maybe 5 lt of solution into the car and then measured the volume that came out.

BenzBoy 14th June 2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony66_au (Post 38827)
Not on leather No.

and granted he had the seats out of the car at the time, but he did pre spray maybe 5 lt of solution into the car and then measured the volume that came out.

Errr. My Wilton and Walnut just curled in horror! :eek:
To say nothing of the underfelt and sound-deadening materials.
Regards,
Brian

E200K 14th June 2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 260ebenz (Post 38771)
Thanks very much Brian the tips would be great!

I have a bit of the dreaded black brake dust that I can not remove from the front right and back right hand alloy wheels I did try plenty of elbow grease but to no avail!

Pre-Concours detailing tips guys you have my full attention.

Cheers.

Hi Tim, planning is really important. Take a good long look at your car from every angle and in every light. Use halogen lamps to look for swirls and marks in the paint. Crawl underneath the car. Spend time inside it looking everywhere. Make a note of every defect you find.

Then educate yourself on the various detailing products available and how to use them. Get a really good understanding of what they do and how they work.

Make a plan and devote the time to putting it into action. The rewards will be tremendous.

260ebenz 14th June 2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E200K (Post 38831)
Hi Tim, planning is really important. Take a good long look at your car from every angle and in every light. Use halogen lamps to look for swirls and marks in the paint. Crawl underneath the car. Spend time inside it looking everywhere. Make a note of every defect you find.

Then educate yourself on the various detailing products available and how to use them. Get a really good understanding of what they do and how they work.

Make a plan and devote the time to putting it into action. The rewards will be tremendous.

Brilliant advice Simon thanks mate.

How about a visit to the Bay before this years Concours, please lend me a hand detailing the 300SE?

Remember we discussed mid-to-late last year you visiting the Bay to help me detail the 260E.

Organise in the next few months before the Concours how does that sound Simon?

Provide you with lunch and a drive in the 300SE how does that sound?

Many thanks,
Tim.

Oversize 15th June 2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

I love lists..... I have plenty of real long ones!!!! :eek::D

Tony66_au 15th June 2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 260ebenz (Post 38834)
Brilliant advice Simon thanks mate.

How about a visit to the Bay before this years Concours, please lend me a hand detailing the 300SE?

Remember we discussed mid-to-late last year you visiting the Bay to help me detail the 260E.

Organise in the next few months before the Concours how does that sound Simon?

Provide you with lunch and a drive in the 300SE how does that sound?

Many thanks,
Tim.

Honestly this is something best tackled yourself, there are a few great tutorials on product websites and even DVD's available on the subject for free or a small amount.

There is nothing as educational as hand washing your own car with a microfibre or lambswool mitt and some great product and its never the same if someone else does it.

Its not hard and suppliers have excellent resources to bring a smile to your face with the satisfaction of a job well done.

Even clay blocking back although hard work brings incredible results and think of the calories burnt!

As I understand it the initial process takes 2 or 3 days and a cool shady spot, you will spend between $200 and $500 acquiring the product and tools and then its time to roll up your sleeves and get off the tit n get your hands dirty.

I use Nitrile gloves, a good non latex (So it wont melt in fluids) workshop glove for some work and my bare hands for other stuff.

The guys here can probably tell you where to go, then spend some dough buying product and get stuck in!

its worth knowing you did it yourself.

Tony66_au 15th June 2012 10:32 AM

BTW Tim, piccies and progress reports would be GREAT Tim! I dont think anyone here has done a step by step Tim.

Tony66_au 15th June 2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

LOL Seems I missed this post Tim, As E200k Said Tim, The rewards Tim will be tremendous mate.

WiSeGuYY 15th June 2012 12:56 PM

GOOD LORD , HELMET that car is gone , i bet that the electrical wires needs to be checked before the car can be restarted, you never do this unless the car was under salt water flood.

REGARDS

TAREK