Topklasse Discussion Board

Topklasse Discussion Board (http://www.topklasse.net.au/forums/index.php)
-   ARTICLES (http://www.topklasse.net.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Wheel required (http://www.topklasse.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7162)

Jimb 10th January 2020 05:03 PM

Wheel required

Hi from Jimb.
I have just fitted 4 new tyres to my Mercedes the Mags on the car are 15 inch and I have fitted 205/65/R15 tyres. However the spare is a 14 inch steel wheel. Does anyone have a 15 inch rim I can buy? I don't mind if it Is a steel rim however I would prefer a MAG. I do have another set of the wheel nuts for the steel rim. I would not be keen on fitting this 14 inch wheel on the back. I don't think it would do the diff much good. Am I worrying to much?
The car is now pretty well sorted even have nice cold air-conditioning. I love driving this car. (280SE) 1974.
Kind Regards Jimb.

abl567 10th January 2020 05:10 PM

Re: Wheel required

I have a set of 4 15" steels and hubcaps (rare) I may be prepared to part with, the wheels are a W124 part number and I don't recall the ET or width off hand so that would need to be checked for 116 suitability. I'd only sell as a set.

Jimb 11th January 2020 09:47 AM

Thanks for the offer ab1567.
I want to keep the Mags so I won't take up your offer.
Regards Jimb.

Styria 11th January 2020 10:30 AM

Hi Jim, you say that you have 15" alloy wheels already. Are they after market items, or are they the genuine 15" Bundt rims ? If they are, it will be difficult to find a single, or for that matter, a complete set of those Bundts. They are very expensive, even in used condition.

Nice to know that you are so happy with your car. It is great news. Regards Styria

Oversize 11th January 2020 12:11 PM

Wheel diameter means nothing unless you have brake or suspension clearance issues. Different tyre sidewall heights can destabilise a car but itís not an issue if itís a spare.

Tyre rolling diameter is the real issue with your diff. Easy to check on the Bob Jane website.

Jimb 11th January 2020 01:40 PM

Thank you Styria and oversize. They are the genuine Mercedes rims.
I think I will just stick with the 14 inch spare.
Punctures are fairly rare these days. Hopefully with the new tyres I won't need it.
Took it for a run today, had lunch at Berry it is only 45kms down the road and always a pleasant run.
Regards Jim.

SEL_69L 11th January 2020 09:59 PM

Whatever the case, just make sure that the wheels fitted have the correct offset measurement for the suspension.
With zero offset steering, as with most modern cars, it is essential that kingpin axis passes through the exact centre of the tire contact patch on the road.

If that doesn't happen, the car won't handle as designed, and the suspension bushes are under greater stress in cornering.