PDA

View Full Version : Need HELP on W116, 280S Rear Differential Parts...THX

ESO
21st June 2008, 12:45 AM
Guys, recently my favourite W116, 280S has some clinking noise coming from the rear diff area, every time when I decelerate or start from station, there will be one clinking noise, I have been told that I will need to replace the bearings of the rear diff or possibly rebuild it.

NOW, my problem is I have difficulties finding the parts require, can anyone help? I wrote to a few internet suppliers but have no response so far, can someone point me to the right direction?

Thank you

ERIC

My car spec:
W116, 280S, 1980
Chassis : 11602022121775
Engine : 11092222068000

116Benz
21st June 2008, 01:30 AM
well...theres a few places you could try, www.mbspares.com.au, www.autohausaz.com or www.adsitco.com. I would even suggest ebay. It's all down to how much you want to spend or what part of the world you want to spend it.

abl567
21st June 2008, 08:44 AM
Try Tom Hanson at the Classic Centre.

thomas.hanson@mbusa.com

Great prices, great service and a wealth of knoweldge.

Email Tom with your VIN and you will be sure to receive the correct part.

John S
21st June 2008, 03:33 PM
Make certain that it is the diff before you start throwing parts at it - it can be an expensive way to find out that the bearings arenít the problem.

ESO
22nd June 2008, 03:01 PM
Make certain that it is the diff before you start throwing parts at it - it can be an expensive way to find out that the bearings arenít the problem.

Well, thx for your advise, any suggestion on what and how I should look for? The clinking noise really worries me as it might affect other mechanical parts if I do not solve it.

Thx

SELfor50
22nd June 2008, 03:15 PM
Well, thx for your advise, any suggestion on what and how I should look for? The clinking noise really worries me as it might affect other mechanical parts if I do not solve it.

Thx

If you want, I have a spare 280 diff that was from a 200,000km car. I've been told it's in good shape, but as any diff you'd get it fitted by the right people so they can set it up properly.

It cost me $200 but it's of no use to me, too short a ratio. So make me an offer and it's yours. Where are you? Sydney?

Cam :)