PDA

View Full Version : Engine removal

BIGBENZ
21st November 2010, 12:21 PM
Hey guys,
just wondering...How much hassle would it be to yank the 4.5 out and attack engine bay,(rust,paint,etc..)
it sort of lets the car down,would it be worth the hassle?
I have done FALCONS and COMMODORES before tho i realize these are not in anyway similar
Is it hard?
Am i crazy?..lol
Any advice?

Cheerz;)

BIGBENZ

Styria
21st November 2010, 06:18 PM
Hi BigBenz, you will need a good array of tools and equipment to pull the ngine. It will take a very long day to carry out the job, but remember that removal of the engine is just the start of refurbishing the engine bay. If I were you, I would do the job in stages - in other words, concentrate on the areas that you can actually 'see' and to achieve that solution is fairly straight forward. I did Gleaming Beauty that way and it has turned out fairly successful. Regards Styria

SEL_69L
21st November 2010, 08:27 PM
I would agree with Styria. What he has done would require less work that would be easier to do, and the results that he achieved on Gleaming Beauty from what I have seen are quite acceptable.

Oversize
22nd November 2010, 05:05 PM
Hi BIGBENZ, my opinion is that if you have the time & space do it! Patching things up will only lead to you doing the job again sometime in the future. Once a car is over 15 years old (or thereabouts), everything that's perishable will deteriorate & if not replaced around the same time will lead to you chasing your tail; replacing one thing after another. Anything else will rust, or corrode if not well protected & kept out of the elements. If I had the time, space & money I'd completely strip my cars & do things properly the first time. I'm sure many would do the same given the opportunity. Don't forget that these cars are now classics & if they were a collectable Ford, or Holden people would be spending plenty of time & money on ground-up restorations. In some ways the superior engineering of MB has worked against them; in that they just keep going without complaint. Many inferior vehicles of the era simply wouldn't exist without complete restorations.

I don't believe a MB engine is any harder to remove / refit than other vehicles of the era. You will need to invest in some specific tools (not many) & label vacuum hoses / electricals well, but it's not hard. Plan to complete specific tasks & stay focussed. This will prevent things getting outta control & the car sitting idle for many more years.... :eek: