PDA

View Full Version : Data Sheets & History

Oversize
12th October 2010, 11:06 PM
Unfortunately my Euro didn't have any books. Does anyone know how to get a copy of the Data Card & can I ID the original owner? Interested to know if it was owned by anyone interesting (apart from me of course)!

Going by the plate under the bonnet, it seems the original owner opted to have the rear inertia reels deleted (Code 436). Code 320 suggests it was delivered in GB.

Anyone know what Code 906G refers to (it's not listed on the net)?

Michel
13th October 2010, 12:28 AM
906 grey blue (graublau) G stands for Glasurit paint.

email the Classic Centre in California with your VIN, they will email you back the datat card info, but no owner info...

Oversize
13th October 2010, 12:59 AM
Thanks very much! :) What about MB Aus; can they help with a replacement Data Card?

Unless someone here (or OS) recognises this car I won't have any joy re the first owner, thanks to the Privacy Act. Due to this great piece of legislation (brought on by the civil libs & stalkers), the roads corporation here destroyed all rego records older than 10 (?) years. This info that could've been invaluable to enthusiasts is now gone forever & I doubt I'll ever know the complete history of any of my cars.... :mad::mad:

-bb-
13th October 2010, 08:01 PM
What about MB Aus; can they help with a replacement Data Card?:

Yes. I have got one from their head office in Melbourne a couple of years ago for the Aus delivered 280SEL I used to own. Just had to fax the rego papers as proof of ownership.

SEL_69L
13th October 2010, 09:11 PM
That' how I came to know that my car was originally delivered to Hong Kong where it was for only six months. The carwas delivered to Hong Kong, but to standard Australian compliance standards, and has the Australian compliance plate.

As I understand it, the features of the Australian compliance car were that it had the 8.0 to 1 compression engine, a gearbox cooler pump, Euro headlights, and side impact intrusion bars in the doors. The suspension is fully adjustable.

WGB
14th October 2010, 05:34 PM
In February 2008 I applied for the cards for my 450 and 6.9 by sending an e-mail to martin-oswald.heinzelmann@daimler.com.

They came back electronically within a few hours with no proof of ownership requested but shortly afterwards others were refused.

My understanding was that the Classic Centre USA only returned USA cars.

Bill

BenzBoy
14th October 2010, 06:12 PM
Data cards make interesting reading. Mine came with the 450SE and has always been with it.
In the case of the PII and the Spirit II, I have the original order forms, build sheets of 70 pages each showing dyno outputs etc and in the case of the Spirit I also have the original invoice and full factory service history and reports from order date through construction details (including the siganture of each person who built a component) through to the notes made by the mechanics when they serviced the car.
What I lack is the build data when J Gurney Nutting built the body as a fire later destroyed the factory and records. However, Penelope Keith, JGN's niece, is hunting up allthe reamining letters and data from his personal files for me. That's service.
I also have a letter from J Lucas and Co apologising for the failure of a wiring component - remember Lucas made quality stuff until British Leyland began demanding cheap products for their vehicles.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

KenM
20th October 2010, 11:09 PM
You can no longer get the data card from Herr Heinzelmann, he will direct you to contact an MB dealer in your country, too bad if you have a European car, the dealer gives you a teutonic shoulder shrug and it becomes something of a hassle but if you persist eventually a helpful person from MB in Holland of all places will send you the data card for your (as it turns out) Australian delivered W116.
Or such was my experience.

Michel
22nd October 2010, 07:45 AM
I had mine sent (albeit electronically) from the MB Center in California.

No hassle, no dramas.

Styria
22nd October 2010, 09:00 PM
I had mine sent (albeit electronically) from the MB Center in California.

No hassle, no dramas.

Really ? You never told me that you had arranged this. Not that you are obliged to do so. What info did you get with it, Michel ? Regards Styria