PDA

View Full Version : What price a 450SE?

BenzBoy
6th March 2008, 02:19 PM
As you know, my 450SE has been sold and I am quite satisfied with the price. I am also satisfied that the new owner will enjoy the vehicle.
However, there is a young gentleman out there who is less than happy. He came and drove the car twice - had it inspected and the report could find no faults (which the young gentleman could not believe) - argued over the asking price and having checked the Redbook valuation of $1700 to $3800, decided to offer the median. I graciously declined and when I later told him it had been sold he was most upset that 'his' car had been whisked away from under him. :rolleyes:
He has now discovered what $1700 to $3800 will buy and he is terminally depressed. He has asked me to help him by looking at some exceptionally sharply priced 280SEs at about $1500. :eek: Most could be useful as parts cars or would make the basis of a good restoration but are not for the mechanically challenged (read; as thick as two short planks with concrete in between) amateur who doesn't know a fan belt from a fuel tank.
Regards,
BenzBoy
(I feel a project coming on.)

Andrew280SEL
6th March 2008, 02:34 PM
Well at least he's interested in the W116 ;)

So are you going to help him get a decent resto car and help with your knowledge of mechanics or are you going to steer him to better examples?

You can get some decent examples for decent prices, I mean I got my 280SEL for $1500....but then again I've since spent at least an additional $1000 on it :rolleyes: (mostly on a paint job here and there)

Maybe that should be disregarded, but you get my point.:)

BenzBoy
6th March 2008, 02:55 PM
Andrew, he is interested only in 'immaculate' cars and not in anything that needs even polishing!! I had to show him where the dipstick lives and how to check oil. I recommended a Hyundai: good reliable cars and no knowledge required. :rolleyes:
You and I can take a cheapie and make something of it but not this chappy.
Regards,
BenzBoy
Edit - now that sounds harsh and it's not meant to be - yes, he is interested in a W116 but he suffers from the belief that they are as cheap as chips to buy and run at a standard that he wants. He wants one that is 'immaculate' and they just don't come at the price he thinks they do. We 116 owners are partly responsible for this as we talk prices down....and that's because we want to capture the entire remaining supply for ourselves.

Andrew280SEL
6th March 2008, 03:03 PM
Andrew, he is interested only in 'immaculate' cars and not in anything that needs even polishing!! I had to show him where the dipstick lives and how to check oil. I recommended a Hyundai: good reliable cars and no knowledeg required. :rolleyes:
You and I can take a cheapie and make something of it but not this chappy.
Regards,
BenzBoy

Oh man...you're in for a very interesting time then ;)

It sounds like a little hatchback would be suitable for someone like him. I mean, if he doesn't know any of that stuff I have to wonder what he actually wants in a car.

Does he just want an MB so he can say he has an MB or something?:confused:

If he doesn't want to spend much money...yet wants to buy an immaculate no fuss old MB that he won't have to do touch mechanically (or at all!).... that's a difficult one!
I just can't imagine many W116's in that price range that wouldn't need something done to them.

Des
6th March 2008, 06:04 PM
had it inspected and the report could find no faults (which the young gentleman could not believe) - argued over the asking price and having checked the Redbook valuation of $1700 to $3800, decided to offer the median. I graciously declined and when I later told him it had been sold he was most upset that 'his' car had been whisked away from under him. :rolleyes:

I apologize in advance for my blunt response but the problem I see is that you were obviously too nice and gracious to a tyre kicker and time waster. I would be frankly insulted by someone offering me such a low price for a car that is worth a lot more/
Flip side to the situation, try and replace your car for the $11,000 asking price, I bet you would be hard pressed to find another example, with full history and in as nice condition as the car you had.

Michel
6th March 2008, 09:14 PM
Honestly BenzBoy.....:rolleyes:

I keep telling you: You are a nice guy....:)

Just show him where to look for those cars and offer him a good luck wish.
After that 'drop' him...
Your time is too precious for this fellow...

116Benz
6th March 2008, 10:06 PM
I know how you feel BenzBoy, I used to source vehicles for a car yard about 5 years ago, back then a good 450SEL was worth 6k retail, 3k to buy (thats before any safety certs, reconditioning etc were done) and thats top money in about a 7.7-8 out of 10 car. You can buy a $500 dunger and be prepared to spend 2k on top of that at the minimum. Sometimes ebay can be a huge curse when you look at what a car is worth, LOL look at that mint 280 on carsales worth 21k, you most likely wouldnt have to spend a cent on it for a while. Tell him to keep an eye on the trading post, carsales and carpoint, if it sounds to good to be true it's most likely right. Oh and yes, as much as the guys are right, helping is good, but dont let him take advantage of your good graces.

Styria
6th March 2008, 10:40 PM
Hi guys, There IS a very CLEAR and POTENT message that Benzboy is trying to convey - he is still letting off steam after his encounters with the 'would be purchaser'. It's okay Benzboy, everything is now okay.....:mad:Regards, Styria

OzBenzHead
6th March 2008, 10:53 PM
[...] I had to show him where the dipstick lives [...]

:D:D:D I hope you both enjoyed that! ;)

116Benz
6th March 2008, 11:24 PM
:D:D:D I hope you both enjoyed that! ;)

You know, I was going to say that...:rolleyes:

BenzBoy
7th March 2008, 05:22 AM
Hi guys, There IS a very CLEAR and POTENT message that Benzboy is trying to convey - he is still letting off steam after his encounters with the 'would be purchaser'. It's okay Benzboy, everything is now okay.....:mad:Regards, Styria

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused:
No: the radiator is good.
Regards,
BenzBoy

John S
7th March 2008, 09:16 AM
If it's a Merc he wants a member of the NSW club has a 300D for sale at about $4500 (one Merc too many). I am told it is an excellent car.

BenzBoy
7th March 2008, 03:21 PM
No. My point is not to let of steam. My point is that we should value the W116 for what it is - a genuinely innovative and well-thought-out vehicle. Rather than devaluing it we should encourage people to value it as a unique and very special model - regardless of whether it be a 280 or a 6.9
Anyway, the aforesaid young gentleman sent me a text message today offering to exceed my original price should the sale fall through. That is not quite the way my world works. Gazumping is such an ugly word.
Regards,
BenzBoy